Salt on garage floor | FerrariChat

Salt on garage floor

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by tbjo1, Dec 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tbjo1

tbjo1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2021
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Torstein B
    Hi all! Just bought my first Ferrari, a 456GT in British racing green :D

I’m trying to navigate winter storage:

I’ve put my car to sleep in a big shared garage facility with plenty of other cars. I’ve covered it and the garage holds a steady 12 degrees Celsius / 53 degrees Fahrenheit. Moisture level in the garage feels low, and I even bought a (albeit cheap) moisture meter that measures it to under 50%.

But my worry is the water and salt the other cars drag into the garage throughout the winter. The roads here in Scandinavia are heavily salted, and you can see the salt staining the concrete floor in the garage around the car.

So; should I be worried about this salt somehow sneaking towards my car via the air, or am I overthinking this? snow / water spill from the other cars physically doesn’t reach mine via the ground, so I guess the air is my main worry.

See picture for details. The discovery parked next to it is my own, and I always clear the snow from it before I park it next to the sleeping 456:)

Thanks in advance for any insights:)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wmuno

wmuno Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 24, 2007
    Wilmette, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bill Muno
    I wouldn't be overly concerned about salt tracks on the floor from other cars. Do you have access to electric power for a battery charger? This is the main concern for long-term storage.

3. tbjo1

tbjo1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2021
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Torstein B
    Hi and thanks for your reply wmuno!

I’m trickle charging the battery and using a desiccant. So I think I’m good apart from this potential salt issue

4. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Salt plus humid air from melting snow dragged in by other cars? I would keep my car elsewhere.

Gohigh54 and lanab like this.
  5. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Är det varmgarage? det är det viktiga då vinterfukten inte är bra för våra bilar.

Bor du i Sthlm? jag kan eventuellt ha ett varmgarage till dig annars där jag har mina bilar.....

tbjo1 likes this.
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #6 johnk..., Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    Humidity (water vapor) in the air can not carry salt. What carries the salt is micro droplets of water with salt dissolved in them. Wind can carry them significant distances and this can be a problem when near large bodies of salt water like the ocean, where spray is generated by the waves and carried by the wind. Salt water on the floor of a in a garage, not so much of a worry IMO. I've parked my 308 in my garage next to my daily driver, which drags lots salt and snow into the garage all winter, for 35 years and I can assure you there is no rust on it.

Just wanted to add that in my experience, that the biggest problem of storage in a non climate controlled garage is temperature/humidity change which can lead to condensation on the rotors resulting rust and possible pitting.

JL350 and tbjo1 like this.
  7. tbjo1

tbjo1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2021
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Torstein B
    Thanks a lot for that John, that was pretty much exactly what I was hoping to hear. And also the garage is in fact climate controlled. It keeps 11-12 degrees celsius at all times, and the relative humidity is between 50-60%. So I think thats pretty good? These numbers are from a cheap temperature / moisture meter i keep under the car, but I think it checks out..

8. tbjo1

tbjo1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2021
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Torstein B
    Tjenare! Bor i Oslo ;) Men takk!! Kjører du på vinteren i Stockholm noe særlig, eller vinterlagrer du bilene dine?

9. lanab

lanab Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nej det går inte köra F355 på vintern, det är så mycket salt här på vägarna och nästan 90% fukt på vintern, den skulle bli förstörd och rosta.

Jag har en vinterpulka som jag åker med :D

10. tbjo1

tbjo1 Rookie

Nov 27, 2021
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Torstein B
    Hvilken farge er F355’en din? Utrolig kul bil i sommer-Stockholm vil jeg tro!! Jeg hadde vel egentlig mest lyst på en F355, men er 197cm på sokkelesten så tenkte at jeg sikkert ikke fikk plass i den o_O