Saltwater? | FerrariChat

Saltwater?

Discussion in 'Special Projects & Concept Cars' started by Mang, Jan 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Probably because they can't scientifically back up their claims. I think their claims are bogus and I'm not surprised I don't see patents from them on the matter.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    It says molten salt or was it metallic salt in the article? Where did the salt water come in. Click bait? I'm guessing that whatever technology they are using, this may not be good old table salt...T

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I think by salt they just mean a generic term for an anion-cation chemical that they dissolve in liquid (this case water I suppose). Table salt (NaCl) is the most common term "salt" used, but that's table salt as you said. I think NaCl has already been researched enough and can't meet the energy requirements they are claiming. Aluminum (3+ charge) can have more charge carried for energy capacity. I think they are just making up stuff to be honest.

5. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Fellow chemist? It said metallic salt when I went back and reread it. Replacing Li+ would be a game changer. Lithium is not that common. There's been a bit of work on Mg batteries. Sodium too. Aluminum would be tough, as a guess, since it's not typically found as the free or even hydrated +3 ion. Don't know that area well though, so I'd be to read up on it...T

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I wish. I do deal with a lot of physics with my occupation at least (nuclear medicine and radiology). Both of my parents are retired EE so I've always been interested in science and enjoyed both inorganic and organic chemistry in school.

I do a bit of reading in journals about battery tech and in particular the solid state stuff interests me. Although I'm somewhat skeptical, the guy that invented the Li ion battery (Goodenough) now claims to have a solid state glass battery that is much better. Hopefully that ends up meeting its claims and actually becomes commercialized.