360 - Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing | FerrariChat

360 Samcrac salvage 360 Modena Spider - Verde British Racing

Discussion in '360/430' started by krazykarguy, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi all -

I typically frequent the 355/348 forums, but last night caught the YouTuber 'Samcrac' showing off his new-to-him 360. Put aside for a moment that he is a Youtuber and has no idea about working on Ferraris.

As I am a lover of unique specs, this 'Verde Bristish Racing' (I always knew this shade as 'Verde Inglese') is clearly a very unique car. Unfortunately the interior is Nero - I would have loved to see a Cuoio or Beige interior on this particular car out of tradition.

Just from the video, I can see that besides the color, this car has:
    - Giallo calipers
    - Fender Shields
    - Full carbon interior
    - Daytona seats

Sam bought this car sight unseen with underbody damage that seems to have wrecked the floor and bracing near/under the battery in the passenger footwell, along with two of the hideous aftermarket wheels.

Does anyone know this car?

How rare is a Verde British Racing 360 Spider? As this color is exceptionally rare on the 355, and I don't recall seeing a 348 in this color, I'd assume it is also similarly rare on the 360.

-Matt

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Not sure the answer to your question, but I couldn't help but notice that the dude used Walmart brand oil...wow.

3. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here is a link to the video:

A friend of mine suggested this video as a laugh. It was more than I expected.

I think that dude who spent about 37K for this 360 is in for a real shock. Initially, I would not have started the engine before evaluating it. Oil that has been pumped into the intake system means many new parts. There is likely oil in the cylinders which means oil in the exhaust contaminating the oxygen sensors and the cats. To meet federal emissions, he is likely looking at many new parts here as well. He crows that he sees no damage to the suspension, buy then he has no proper lift to fully evaluate the suspension system. Damage to the underfloor may have shifted the suspension attaching points out of alignment. The oils drained from the engine and gearbox look like mud so what does that tell you about prior routine maintenance. And, what about the cap from an oil bottle drained from the gearbox. Yikes!

He bought a salvage title and unless he is going to keep the car for himself, good luck finding a buyer.

I noted that the video ends with him attempting to start the engine which is merely a tease to get folks to look at his next posting and the advertisements.

This will be a junk repair effort. Unless he is willing to spend many tens of thousands for parts, this bozo, who won’t spend anywhere near what will be required for a proper repair effort, will tantalize his viewers that he stole a Ferrari from the insurance company.

Oh, and by the way, I can just imagine what the interior smells like after all the time the car sat unattended, and the various creatures that might have invaded the cabin.

Yuk, Yuk, quadruple YUK.

4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Agree...you can get a decent F1 360 for 60k, if he has to put another 20k into it, he just spent 60k on a 45k car...at best.

pilotoCS and KC360 FL like this.
  5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I agree that unless he’s keeping the car its pretty much a loser and the oil situation, I just shook my head. But I think he bought the car and is working on it for views more then anything else. Part 2 was posted yesterday and I’m going to watch more for what not to do then anything. It also appears to have an electrical issue that comes and goes as when he started it up for the second time on the part 2 video the tach read 0 and wouldn’t go into gear.

billy.gif likes this.
  6. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Anyone else notice he shifted into reverse and then let it sit there for at least a minute (likely burning up what precious little of the clutch remained)?

I agree that the car is not necessarily a 'winner', and that he should have done a bit more research beyond simply buying the FSM.

Is the car known to anyone? I'd love to know if there is a 'story' that can be told about the accident that lead to it ending up being a salvage car. If you watch his older videos, he resurrects an Audi R8 that had front structural damage to the aluminum unibody. His repair methodology would not pass Audi CPO, but seemed fairly solid (even though I would not want to drive it into anything, as I assume it's weaker now than new)...

billy.gif likes this.
  7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The amount of internet lore and misinformation about how the F1 works is staggering. This won't have any impact on clutch wear. The clutch will sit at ready, not engaged or touching, until you apply the gas. It does the same when it is in 1st and you are sitting still. If your foot is on the brake, it pulls back from the closest ready position and that happens if you are in R or 1st. While we are at it, being in N doesn't save the clutch either. The throughout bearing is full contact and the clutch is pushed back and the bearing is spinning if you are in gear or not.

8. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I talked with him on the phone last night about a few of the issues. I don't think he was really prepared for this platform. At the end of the day, it's nice to see these cars resurrected and see that people aren't terrified to work on them.

9. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I bet Part of the reason he made the video was to document the condition to the buyer.

Well, after reviewing that video... I hope the person he sells it to never sees it.

I cringe when I see utubers tinkering and sharing their escapades like it’s no problem.

He should have at least done a little research before messing with it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    my impression was that he checked the oil with car off.... and kept adding oil...... and created the over -oiling situation himself..... then spent time fixing his goof.

he admitted his lack of exp with this platform.... must check oil level while running.......

I look forward to seeing what he does with this! Great to see some 360's get the resurrection treatment... they are 20 yrs old now.... and some are sub 40K...... so get ready for some rat-rod 360's..... I'd love to find a basket case and perform a mideng ls swap....... gut the interior.... and go do some HPDE's.....!

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I assume it smells about the same as the unattended sub 10k mile garage queen that sits in the corner with a car cover on it.

12. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian

No, he’s Samcrac, he has 675,000 Subscribers and this video already has a million views. He made this video and bought this car TO MAKE MONEY from YouTube. You guys apparently have no idea how being an influencer works. He will make more money off these videos than the car or the work costs. The bumbling idiot routine, real or faked, is how half these guys get their viewers. Looks like it’s working and he just picked up a bunch more subscribers in the Ferrari community to help pay his bills.

13. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I guess I’m old... it’s a culture I just don’t understand.

He said he wanted to keep budget for the restoration down so I figured he was aiming to flip it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Maybe he can wrap it in red vinyl and truly make a Silk Purse!

15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    At 1 million views for this video, with the youtube ad income, sponsorships, merchandise etc, I would guess this video alone might make 15-20K, if he does 10 of them on this particular car I would guess he would make 100-150K income possibly.

It's a money maker, even if in the end he burns the car to the ground.

While the oil checking/filling goof happened, I do seem to recall quite a few threads on here where Fchat users have done the same thing.

Bully for Sam !

16. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Apa- That oil check fill goof is very common. You just can’t apply your Chevy engine knowledge to the horsey.

I'm 360 Canuck and KC360 FL like this.
  17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    #17 KC360 FL, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    However with that said, it's another pariah Ferrari that will be sent out into the world that will further sully the name of a great marque.
    I saw the same with the early 911s years ago. DP, Kremmer, etc. all created wild body mods, motor mods, and such, on many cars that were not worth much, (wrecked, salvaged etc.) and are now worth very little to almost no one.

Cars like these in the hands of the capable that are looking for a track car perhaps and understand that it is a car they are married to is one thing. In the hands of rank amateurs thinking they got into the Ferrari world on the cheap--- another story.
    And it is a story that seldom ends well in my experience as an observer.

18. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Well now I have absolutely no respect for him. Modern day court jester? Nice way to make a living for some, I guess.
    This is why the internet has become such a dump.

brookliner7 and kes7u like this.
  19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I know how the YouTube thing works and I know judging from his other videos what his target audience is, everyday guys that might want to buy a car at salvage and rebuild it themselves. Apparently it’s been successful. I also know and understand why he bought the Ferrari, for views.

All that being said we don’t know if he intends to sell it or not. Many are assuming he intends to sell it but he’s kept most of the cars he has rebuilt though he has sold a few. I’m guessing he intends to keep it, at least for a significant amount of time. He’s making his money off of YouTube add revenue, sponsorships, and merchandise. He doesn’t have to flip these cars. And along the way he will make mistakes, he certainly has before and a fairly rare color Ferrari isn’t going to become spare parts assuming he can track down the electrical issue. His videos are mostly for entertainment and pretty much achieve just that. Personally I wish him luck, if your going to screw up on a Ferrari it’s best to mess one up that isn’t worth much to start with.

gsworld2014 and Justicepool like this.
  20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There was a green 348 coupe (may have been a targa) in for service in Tacoma, WA I saw about 17 years ago....can't say for certain on the color, but appeared same as this.

21. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Nice to get paid working on hobby cars, vs. just working on hobby cars. Youtube has paved the way for motivated enthusiasts, and funding their interests. The enthusiast community as a whole has benefited from this, not just among autos. I for one have learned how to play the piano in the last year, thanks to youtube monetizing various channel creators' content.

This 360 project looks very likely to go sideways, but as already said the view/ad value is higher, so likely justifiable as a business decision.

One thing is for sure, the more aged and hacked the 360's become, the more valuable pristine examples will be...for those who are willing to participate in the 360 owner experience, as compared to arguably lower-cost-of-onwnership F430 onward cars.

I'm still on board for the 360, it's the right special car relative to price anywhere in the market, IMO. Sub 100k, I cannot see a comparable experience, even with the ownership stresses and costs.

Cheers,

Scott

22. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I'd rather work on cars all day for youtube than my day job any day of the week. There is nothing wrong with owning a storied car. I personally only go after storied cars. I find them more interesting than a car that sat in someone's garage for a decade. I also find the process of being able to restore them to their former glory more fulfilling than driving them. It is a way to get into the Ferrari world for cheaper. I bought my highly neglected clean titled 360 2 years ago when I was 27. I saw it as an opportunity to get a Ferrari and despite the obscene amount of work I've personally done to fix it up, it has been probably my favorite car ownership experience. I honestly don't think I would enjoy it nearly as much if I hadn't had to fix it and learn the platform. Once mine is paid off I'll probably buy another one in even worse shape and start over. As long as it hasn't been branded or in an accident it can always be made pristine. Not everyone wants just the flawless examples that you seem to want.

23. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    At the end of the day he’s a winner regardless. We’re all interested and talking about it and he’s got a pretty respectable audience size. He’s getting paid to tinker with his own auction 360...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

KJB355 likes this.
  24. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My 360 is not flawless. I drive it for pleasure and drive it hard but don't abuse it. I work on my own cars-- and I don't mean the occasional brake pad replacement. I build cars for a living.

But with that said, good for you to take a shabby car and try to "bring it back". If you have unlimited resources and money than that helps too. But too many times these cars get put back together by amateurs who think they have a good grasp of what can be done and done correctly. Plus there's the money thing. It's been tried over and over to "restore" these kinds of cars only to have way more in them than what a "storied" car will be worth in both the short run and the long run. The thing is, it's not the purchase price. It's how much will it cost in the long run replacing and rebuilding everything that has been neglected for the past 20 years. But as I said if you have the time and the money to go through all that then knock yourself out.

KID 1: "my dad can buy your dad's town"
    KID2: "my dad can buy your dad's town--- and keep it.

Personally, I don't get it. But really, I see it as a plus to those of us who have decent unmolested cars as the value of these cars only benefits from the rebuilt cars.

25. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    He may be the winner but he does a disservice to his viewers acting like anyone can get into the Ferrari world on the cheap-- quick and easy. Crevat emptor.

f355spider likes this.