San Diego to Grand Canyon RV Road Trip -- Suggestions Pleeze | FerrariChat

San Diego to Grand Canyon RV Road Trip -- Suggestions Pleeze

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by dlopez001, Feb 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Folks,

Looking into a possible RV road trip from San Diego to Grand Canyon mid July. Never having been before, I've got several questions. Trip will be with my wife, and two kids (ages 10 and 12). My wife does not camp -- the rest of us do -- so the RV is sort of a compromise.

1) North or South Rim?

2) Recommendations for any good RV sites with hookups?

3) Things to do that kids would be interested in. Free stuff like hiking, but heard about burro rides, 1/2 day rafting trips, etc.

4) Best routes?

Looking to stay 3 days at the canyon, plus perhaps a night (or two) in Las Vegas on hte way back. I'm finding many of the RV sites are already booked, so I may be SOL and have to wait 'til next year.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DL

2. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    If you do get around to the north rim then I would definitely try and get up to Brice and Zion National Parks. They are simply amazing.

3. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
  4. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
  5. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I would do the N rim. It is stunning.

The S rim is the more commercial side and definitely targeted towards tourists. If you go to the S rim, the place to stay is the El Tavar.

As for roads... There are some great ones, but you will be in an RV. I would stick to the main roads.

6. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    why would you stay in the El Tovar if you are in an RV?

7. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Plans as of today...

2 nights in Sedona (Rancho Sedona RV Park); Pink Jeep tour

3 nights in GC South Rim (GC National Park Trailer Village); 3 hr mule ride and possible bus tour to Page with 'calm water' rafting trip (full day trip)

2 nights in Vegas (Mandalay Bay); in another forum it was suggested to treat my wife to a nice hotel on the way home. On the way to LV, stop by Skywalk on west rim.

And this is the rig we are considering: "San Diego RV Rentals - 2012 34' Coachmen Mirada With Dual Slide-Outs & Bunk Beds"

No Ferrari involved in this trip, but I'm really looking forward to the RV experience!!!!

Cheers,

DL

8. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Do you happen to have an Amex Platinum card? If so, definitely check out the Fine Hotels and Resort page of the Amex travel site. I booked a couple of rooms at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay back in December and it was great. Extremely cheap rate, plus got upgraded from a 700 sq. ft. room to a 2,060 sq. ft. suite. There are other perks as well, including breakfast and spa credits.

9. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Perfect plan!
    When you are at the RV park in Sedona, directly across the river at the park is L'Auberge De Sedona, with one of the best restaurants in Sedona with a perfect setting.
    At the Trailer Village at GC, there is a shuttle to take you anywhere you want to go. We had a blast last summer there. Have fun!

10. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    Yup, last two times we've been to LV, we've stayed at The Hotel. Mandalay is perfect for kids b/c of wave pool and lazy river. No Amex Platinum card, but I have United mileage points up the wazoo. Plus, since we are going in the middle of Summer, rates are low. In fact, last time we were there in late July, our room cost was less than 50% of our poolside Cabana cost!