Saratoga tops: observations, questions, & prices | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Saratoga tops: observations, questions, & prices

Discussion in '308/328' started by i-velocita, Feb 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    At $1500 I am a buyer. I am still enjoying the keys! :D

2. ferrariguyma

ferrariguyma Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Count me "in" if a $1500. repro Saratoga can be made. In High School I had a Saratoga on my x1/9 and loved it.

3. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I am NOT going to make them i just say if there was a market for 50 then i would entertain the task but i know there is not a market for 50 or more, i was just thinking out loud.but thank you for all your comments.

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Why don't you you start a roster, you never know, you might get your 50 maybe more worldwide.

5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    That would be the most logical 1st step - Do some proper, full market research to assess the viability of the project (and not just on Fchat).

It's not going to cost anything to ask!

6. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I did this with the folding key as you remember an i had lots of "" orders "" and when i made them and made the tooling i had 5 buyers the rest bailed because the $ 70.00 was to high.
    So i got my lesson.

7. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I think it's a problem in all manner of businesses - People have the best intentions when they make an offer to buy a product and don't realise just how damaging it can be when they fail to go through with an order.

That's not such a problem if you're an eccentric multi-Millionaire who just wants to help people out and can afford to take a loss on the product, but to someone trying to make the product as a viable business to earn a living it can end up bankrupting them.

This was one of the pitfalls that I just wanted to make sure was out in the open with My (somewhat negative) posts.

I think it either Saratoga or folding tops would be great products to be able to offer owners, but it's a business that you really do need to go into with your eyes wide open!

(At least there are still people such as yourself who are prepared to try and help owners by re-manufacturing obsolete parts! I hope you didn't take any of My comments the wrong way! :) )

8. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Not at all but what is sad the same people buy the product from other suppl.houses for an inflated price no problem,it is a win win because i sell my product to these houses in bulk.
    But i dont think this plan would work with the Tops

9. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    Then I got hosed. I bought two of them at $125 each I think....through Rutlands.

This is a product that could be sold around the globe. Plenty of GTS owners to buy with disposable income. This project would rise or fall based of the cost to make a minimum run and quantity of the minimum run. I would take the initial sales direct at a larger margin. Then I would offset the risk by having distributors and sell to them after your initial purchases.

Let's say you could produce them for $750 each...then tack on 40% to sell to distribution...$1250. Sell direct to your initial purchasers at $1500 (50%). Distribution will likely put 30% on.....$1785 for the purchasers down the road. At those prices I think they would sell if the quality was equivalent to the last iteration of the saratoga top.

I think it would need to be a complete top with storage bag. The factory front pins are available and cheap to reproduce. You could make your own rear latches that worked with the original mounts.

The keys are fantastic. I am sure your lexan top would show similar attention to detail.

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Glad to hear that you've found a way to make the folding key project work.

The advantage that the keys have over the tops is that they don't take up any serious amount of space and so can be stocked for a long period of time without being in the way.

I suspect also that rather than having @ 50 tops straight away, supplying dealers would want small batches of maybe 5 tops at a time only, in order to gauge the market and not have too much money tied up in stock that could take time to shift.

As a manufacturer, the last thing you really want to do is to be making 5 tops and then having to wait indefinitely for the next batch to be ordered, and by the same token, you wouldn't want to have the next 45 tops sitting around your premises taking up space either.

It's a shame that this project would get so complicated, but it is an unavoidable fact. :(

11. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    As we've previously posted in this thread, when you look into the project fully, the numbers simply don't add up to make it viable.

The cost of manufacture, even if kept to the bare minimum, would mean that a small batch of say @ 10 tops would not cover the cost of manufacture, and if you made more than 10 tops then you're highly likely to be left with stock that will not sell for the price you require.

12. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    You are right unavoidable fact,t
    Fact,s for the folding Keys
    Moulds. $ 8700.00 incl.all electrodes an artwork
    Hardware. Key blanks,springs,3 mm ball,hinge pin,$10.38
    Die for cutting key blanks. $1780.00
    Machine time for molding and resin. $3.20 each
    So you can see i have to sell a lot to break even,but the key was a labor of love because mine broke and i did not find one anywhere
    But with the Tops there is no way to make money tooling would be approx.$45-50.000

cheesypeas likes this.
  13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Man, you must have REALLY wanted your key to fold :)

14. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    It helps when you own a tooling and molding company lol

15. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Thats exactly how my targa foam seals came about, I needed one for my own car. The mold for that cost $9000
    I dont mind the fact I am not going to make any money on it. It would have only gone to the tax man anyway. Not making any money is very tax-efficient :)

cheesypeas likes this.
  16. epvanwoerkom

epvanwoerkom Rookie

Mar 30, 2010
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Sign me up if it can be built for under $2K

17. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I've tried to keep track of Saratoga top prices. It's been well over a year since I have recorded a completed sale or even spotted a top for sale. I'm curious what one would bring now after the big run up in car prices. Guessing $10k but who knows!

Here is my list...

I only included the ones that I could confirm from eBay or personal knowledge.

3/12, $1500, FerrariAds
    10/12, approx. $2400, eBay, cracked fiberglass near pin
    10/12, $3750, eBay
    12/13, $5600, eBay,
    1/14, $5000, FerrariAds, near excellent condition, later model with padding on frame, included storage pouch
    1/14, $7000, excellent condition, early model without padding on frame, serial number tag missing, no storage pouch
    1/14, $5600, eBay, #816752
    6/14, $3150, eBay, scratches on Lexan
    10/14, $4900, scratches on Lexan
    11/14, $6000 eBay, used condition showing wear, early model without padding on frame, included storage pouch

If others choose to add sale info, please include only those you can personally confirm.

18. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like a reasonable expectation. According to Hagerty, most 328 GTS car prices have increased by a factor of 2X between early 2014 and early 2016. Hope some actual top buyers can weigh in to confirm the market.

19. whiskeyps

whiskeyps Rookie

Oct 28, 2014
    Nor Cal Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bought mine in March of '15 for $5k, not perfect but very good condition with no cracks and minimal scratches. I'm 6'4" and the extra head room made it worth every penny for me.

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #70 308 milano, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    I guess $10,000 doesn't seem out of line given the rise across the board with 308/328 pricing. Would I purchase one at that price point? No, but like I've said before, just not my thing.

21. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting guys, what will a standard targa top cost now, a good restored one ?

regards
    Johnny

22. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I'm the 10/12 ebay for #$3750.

If these cross $8,000 I'm selling. End of story. I like it but I have gotten owning one out of my system.

23. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Updated list.

3/12, $1500, FerrariAds
    10/12, approx. $2400, eBay, cracked fiberglass near pin
    10/12, $3750, eBay
    12/13, $5600, eBay,
    1/14, $5000, FerrariAds, near excellent condition, later model with padding on frame, included storage pouch
    1/14, $7000, excellent condition, early model without padding on frame, serial number tag missing, no storage pouch
    1/14, $5600, eBay, #816752
    6/14, $3150, eBay, scratches on Lexan
    10/14, $4900, scratches on Lexan
    11/14, $6000 eBay, used condition showing wear, early model without padding on frame, included storage pouch
    3/15, $5000, minor scratches

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jim, I thought somebody is suppose to remanufacture the Saratoga Top for the 3x8, what happen?

25. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Probably wishful thinking given the costs to reproduce. Pilkington has reproduced the much simpler Saratoga top for the Porsche 944. I'd be surprised to see one for the 308/328 given the added complexity and small numbers involved.