Satisfying drive routes in Massachusetts? | FerrariChat

Satisfying drive routes in Massachusetts?

Discussion in 'New England' started by PappyDewBoston, Sep 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I'be been searching the forum looking for recommended fun roads / routes in Massachusetts/Metrowest. Getting tired of on and off on ramps on 495 and sitting at traffic lights. Leaf season is coming.

02360spider likes this.
  2. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
  3. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Jon, A nice ride for you would be RT2 west out to North Adams. I live just north of that area and it does get a lot of attention during peeping season. The road gets twisty once you get west of greenfield, and makes a fun ride. (ask me how I know) And there are some nice places to get lunch/dinner too. From 495, it would take about 2 or 3 hours depending on traffic. Plus you will likely stop to take photos along the way. I try to get out during that time of year because the weather is cool and crisp.

4. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
  5. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    Great advice. I haven’t been that far out rte 2 in years.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    great road. Mt. Greylock, North Adams is a must. Veterans War Memorial Tower at summit is a 'wow' along with the views. (avoid weekends in the fall, peepers) and stop in Shelburne Falls if time allows, but you might spend more time at summit of Greylock than you plan. Summit road closes Nov.1 There are 2 roads up. From Rt. 7, Lanesborough and Rt.2, North Adams (need gps first time, easy to miss)
    Google 'Mt. Greylock' images
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Greylock

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That is great advice, and here's a tip. Stop in Shelburne Falls and walk the Bridge of Flowers. Also walk around the town, see the "potholes" (not the ones you drive over, anyone in town can point you in the direction), if you need a quality kitchen knife go to the Lamson factory store, and to eat or have a drink with a view, go to the restaurant at the west end of the bridge (we've eaten there so many times and I'm blanking out on the name).

8. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    I was going to hike it but this sounds much more fun. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. AVFPolo

AVFPolo Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Same caveats as above - weekdays are best and leaf peeping season is very busy.

Quabbin Reservoir Loop in central MA

Route 9 west to Belchertown, route 202 to New Salem, route 122 to Petersham, route 32A through Hardwick to Gilbertville, route 32 back to route 9 in Ware.
    Lots of ways to pick up the loop - route 2 coming from Leominster to rt. 202, or route 9 in the Brookfields, or 122A/122 from points north of Worcester.
    Side trip into the Quabbin Reservoir will provide a nice opportunity to stretch the legs and sightsee - Enfield Overlook, Quabbin Observation Tower, and the Winsor Dam.
    Nice old New England towns along the loop - New Salem, Petersham, Hardwick. Or wander off the loop over to Barre to the Stone Cow Brewery, or over to Leverett to visit the New England Peace Pagoda.

Enjoy the journey !!!

10. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Thanks for posting. I'm heading out to upstate NY at the end of the month and I just decided to go via rt 2. Thanks!

11. PappyDewBoston

PappyDewBoston Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2018
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Chris Nadeau
    Awesome thanks. Gonna be a busy fall.

Thanks
    Chris
    2014 458 spyder

12. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Echo all of the above. Also, venturing out for an early morning drive around 5am Sat or Sun mornings is my personal preference. Routes are so much more enjoyable without other drivers to frustrate or otherwise dampen the experience. Then, stop by somewhere to pick up breakfast to-go for the wife and kids as they're waking up.

PappyDewBoston and Anthony James like this.
  13. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Wife is not a fan of the spirited ride through the mountains ☹. But still got in some fun when her eyes were closed. Image Unavailable, Please Login when Elk attack

PappyDewBoston likes this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    First time I was on that road and saw a sign for 'Florida', I was like whaaaat???!!! where the hell am I?!!! ;)

Anthony James likes this.
  15. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Staying over in Saratoga springs this evening. Dining at Salt and Char. Excellent experience.

16. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    That location is about 10 miles from my house. A spirited drive on VT rt 100 can be fun too.:)

17. Anthony James

Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    Wish I was retired like some. In Lake Geoge for Hemmings car show and the Jazz Fest. Wouldn't be a stretch to go to the Glenn from here. There would be a mutiny at work.

18. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    For something closer to Boston, Route 117 between Route 128 and Leominster has some nice stretches. A stop at Nancy's Airfield Café in Stow is highly recommended. Still a couple of weeks left for apple picking at any of several orchards along the way. Enjoy!