Saturday May 1 - A drive through Goldrush country | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Saturday May 1 - A drive through Goldrush country

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by RacerX_GTO, Mar 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Art, that's fantastic! Even earlier than promised, can't wait to see it.

Gary

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The interest in the drive does not look too good :(

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Excellent news on the car. Which did you decide on?

--Dan

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Peter,

Do you have a drop dead date? BTW, the C/4 is not going to work out so I'm still on the lookout for a ride.

It's kind of hard for me to commit as I'm working hard to put my house on the market around that time, and I still haven't seen any Karting pictures. :)

Is the 308 on the road?

5. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I would like to attend this drive. I live about 10 minutes away. Do you have any idea of the route yet? Is the plan changed a bit to end up at Sonora instead of making a big loop and ending up back in Folsom?
    The scenery is nicer North of 50, but that is away from Sonora obviously.

Maybe a 2 step plan, wherein there is a loop South of 50 (49 and around there) and then a stop at a park or restaraunt and whoever wants to go to Sonora can veer off, and the rest can loop back to Sac/Folsom/EDH. I am very familiar with all the roads in the area, and can help plan a route if needed.

For a point of reference, the trip from El Dorado Hills straight down 49 to Sonora on a weekend is just about 2 hours, however traffic can get real bad in Sutter Creek.

6. Brian qv

Brian qv Rookie

Dec 28, 2002
    Folsom, Ca
    I wouldn't mind staying off of 49. The side roads are great. Less traffic. Example; Taking Latrobe down to Plymouth and into to Fiddletown and out to hwy 88. I took my motorcycle through there last Saturday on the way to Tahoe by way of 88. Great ride. I'm sure the other people familiar with that area will have a lot of other options too. I'm looking forward to where ever we go!

7. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    straight down Latrobe road, not even getting on the freeway! How long of a trip? Do you want to go an hour, hour and a half? Then turn around (those not continuing) What about ending up at Villa Toscano?
    http://www.villatoscano.com/
    I've never been there, but I heard it nice. I heard the food is good to.

8. Brian qv

Brian qv Rookie

Dec 28, 2002
    Folsom, Ca
    I'm not sure where Villa Toscano is. I think it is only another 15 - 20 minutes away. Shenendoha Valley is beautiful too.
    It takes about 45 minutes to get to Hwy 88 from Folsom by my route. ( Latrode - left on Old Sacramento Rd. thru Plymouth to Fiddletown Rd. and left on Shake Ridge Rd. to 88.
    Good long twisty beautiful country road. But it might not be good for a caravan of cars. No room to pass. Hwy 88 is better. More speed and places to pass.
    A trip to S. Lake Tahoe in the summer would be ideal from this route. A little over 2 hours from Folsom by way of 88. Much better than Hwy 50. Much more scenic and less traffic.

9. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #34 jm3, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. rex550

rex550 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I live 3 miles from Bella Bru in EDH, so this could not get any more convenient. Have you invited Ted Franse or anyone from the FCA club out here to join? If not, drop me an email and I'll give you his contact. He might be able to round up a few locals and their f-cars.

-rex

11. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    I was in the area last Thursday - Friday. The 49 from Auburn to the 193 and then on to Coloma down Marshall Rd. is a blast. The 49 just past the river going up past the gravel yard is a great place to go sideways. The only downside are the morons in the Barcaloungers and sportbikers that were going Sunday drive slow and hugging the yellow lines . As I stopped at a turnout to let the rental POS cool it's brakes a few approached me and wanted to know what my problem was. I told them these roads are made to drive and drive fast the way that Cal Trans and WFO intended and how could they putz along like that. They have amazing fire roads if anybody wants to play World Rally Driver. The rental had dirt coming in the AC vents from my runs on the fire roads when my wife and I dropped it off. Hertz was not happy. My buddy is a EMT in Garden Valley in case anybody has a off in that area. Have a fun fast drive.

12. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    It appears that there is little interest in a Saturday stay over. Thats too bad. Unless a bunch belly up, I'll have to cancel the rooms and the dinner.

Pete

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Live nearby, a few miles away?...pass the invite along :D

I like the additional routes!

Peter, I'm crossing my fingers as well.

- Gabe

14. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I guess there is little interest in the over-nighter. I'll cancel the room reservations I have in place. Whats worse is the fact that I will probably NOT have my car by then!...........NOT HAPPY!!!!

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I'm in, but can't stay over <ducks! Damn nice of you to have put that together Peter, sorry it didn't work out>.

Vince- PM me or call if you still need a ride, I'll be in the 750.

16. rex550

rex550 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    I'll be there with my 550 and I will see if Ted can round up some more folks.

17. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Jay Morris

18. STR8DVSOZ

STR8DVSOZ Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sac-Town
    Full Name:
    John
    Gabe whats up you coming out to tacobell this sat the 1st. would love to get all the final details. e-mail me. [email protected]

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thanks to a certain mechanic, my car will not be assembled in time for this ride. I have a mechanic that will be at my house this Thursday for two days to get most of it done. Can we all plan another ride soon? Maybe in the same area? I REALLY wanted to do this run!

20. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Hey Peter, yes, there will be another in the works.

I will talk with you again shortly on this very subject.

- Gabe

21. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I am going to "scout" these routes today. I will post pictures. Please check in during the week so we can finalize. Thanks, Jay

22. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Its better than I had remembered! When I say "The Route", I have seen no objections to the map I posted, so I am making a formal proposal.
    It will be about 2 1/4-2 1/2 hour drive from hwy 50 at Latrobe to Hwy 50 at Mother Lode.
    There is a good place for gas about 2/3 of the way, in Mt Aukum.
    I called Villa Toscano, and they really had no arrangements for a group, but said they had plenty of paved parking. As I drove by on Sunday, it is really busy, and perhaps inappropriate for this sort of thing. Just too many people there.
    I propose continuing further, and towards the end of the existing route, there is "Zachary Jacques" restaurant on Pleasant Valley Rd, which is a consistent award winner from Sacramento Magazine and Sacramento News and Review.
    Yes, I know it is a French restaurant, but I checked and the Citroen Club will not be meeting there on Saturday.
    www.zacharyjacques.com

Proposed route, will post map later:
    Straight south on Latrobe Rd from meeting place, East on Old Sacramento Rd, cross over hwy 49 in Plymouth, and continue East onto Shenandoah Rd. Continue through River Pines, and at Mt Aukum, left onto Mt Aukum Rd to Somerset. Up through the Consumes River canyon on Bucks Bar Rd to Pleasant Valley Rd and stop at Zachary Jacques for lunch.
    Leaving from there, straight West on Pleasant Valley Rd to Mother Lode Dr, through Diamond Springs and back to Hwy 50 at North Shingle rd/Mother Lode exit, about 9 miles East of where we started.

23. RacerX_GTO

Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    LOL! Good, we're in luck Saturday!

JM3, I like your additions to the route plan *thumbs up*

- Gabe

24. ART360

ART360 Guest

Peter:

We need to do this. Given that your 308 will be apart for a while (even with a new mechanic). My thought is this: why not a drive to the Monterey in August? Would make a good ride, we can all arrive in a group, the dinner is Sunday pm, and it would be fun. Say met in Sonora on August 13th, spend the night, get drunk and disorderly, drive to Monterey that Sunday, get drunk and disorderly on Sunday for the FerrariChat dinner?

Art

25. STR8DVSOZ

STR8DVSOZ Rookie

Apr 2, 2004
    Sac-Town
    Full Name:
    John
    just so you know me and another lancer driver will bringing our wife and babys and are bouth on a limted budget as far as eating out is concerend so if there is someplace a little less then a french restrant nearby on that stop that would help us out greatly thanks