Sauna | FerrariChat

Sauna

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GuyIncognito, Sep 14, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Any of you frequent the sauna? If so, when...before/after a workout, in place of a workout, etc? What are the benefits?

my gym has one, it doesn't get a lot of use, and now that the weather is cooling off (and its not sauna-like outside) I've been thinking about using it.

2. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    “All in all, saunas appear safe for the body, but there is little evidence that they have health benefits above and beyond relaxation and a feeling of well-being,” says Dr. Harvey Simon, editor-in-chief of Harvard Men’s Health Watch."
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/sauna_health_benefits.htm

I personally find it helps deep muscle soreness temporarily. It could help recovery time speed up just as some suggest icing and heat be applied. Downside is lose of water and rise of heartrate for those with health complications it might be more negative.

3. marksp

marksp Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2006
    Redmond, WA
    I've theorized that if you're like most American's, you consume 2-3 times (or more) the daily maximum amount of sodium and regular sauna use may be a tool to help you sweat it out.

rampante550 likes this.
  4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I go in every day. It feels great and that's why I do it.

donv, rampante550 and ryalex like this.
  5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no kidding there, I've managed to cut virtually all the sugar out of my diet but sodium is everywhere...in large quantities. and we wonder why high blood pressure and hypertension are such problems...it ain't just stress, folks!

rampante550 likes this.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    So, I was in the Sauna and an MD was in there with me, the data is coming in. Massive improvements in cardiovascular health as well as a significant decrease in the possibility of Alzheimer's. It mimics a fever by increasing your core temp between 1.5-3 degrees. Get those heavy metals and toxins out of your system. 20 minutes 4x per week if you can. He said the major bump comes if you can do 30 minutes followed by a ten minute break (water) and then another 3o minutes. That's tough. I'm doing 25 min 4x per week now. Some days are easier than others, some days it's a massive struggle for me to do 25 min. Sauna temp at my club is between 200-220F.

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    holy thread bump, batman!

FWIW I went next level, and moved to Florida :)

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Hey, I like to use the search feature before starting new threads :)

rampante550 and GuyIncognito like this.
  9. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    For years to relax I enjoy a very hot bath. Lots of sweating, usually 45 min. There is a consensus that it is equivalent to a vigorous 20 min walk or thereabouts. I also think the buoyancy of the water helps take the weight off the spine while warming all that tissue through to higher than average body temp.

Texas Forever likes this.
  10. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    I am getting close to pulling trigger on sauna and cold dunk at the house.

I use steam room at the gym and it is freaking brutal.

Lots of good data coming in on it. My parents have a sauna. Trying to convince them to use it. Tough to do. I use it most times I go over there.

rampante550 and Texas Forever like this.
  11. rampante550

rampante550 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2010
    NC
    Full Name:
    D Day
    glad someone else is using it :)

fwiw on the sauna, sweating out the bad stuff is a great reason to get in the sauna. also, it beats the steam room. I love those too, but I think a fair number of places use pool water and just add some scents so you can't tell and I'm not really into inhaling chlorine..

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Any tips on brands? DIY?

13. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    For saunas?

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  15. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    Haven't pulled trigger yet, but don't do infrared (they don't get hot enough). So go with traditional and also make sure if you do electric that you go with 220v. I will let you know if I finalize my decision on a brand.

Level7, Hawkeye and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Just like cold baths/plunges/showers, ther eis some evidence that suggest that extreme temperature differneces can impact recovery after weight training.
    Especially extreme cold will blunt the natural inflamation response after a workout that's a signal for muscle recovery and growth.
    If you do want to do a sauna do it a bit further away from your training.

17. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I have a sauna in my house, and try to use it regularly. Someone mentioned 200-220 degrees?? That is hot! Mine is about 160-180, and that's pretty darn hot.

amenasce and Texas Forever like this.
  18. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Traditional wet saunas are heated to 200-220 degrees indeed. With dry infra red saunas the temp is generally a bit lower.
    But yeah, 220 is a sick temperature and you can’t remain in there for very long….

amenasce likes this.
  19. Leksi

Leksi Rookie

Feb 26, 2023
    Russia, ORN
    Full Name:
    Leksi
    #19 Leksi, Apr 9, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    Actually there are no strict rules about sauna. I use a sauna one time per week. The best effect comes from a wooden stove, but electric heaters are well enough. High temperature, from 70 °C and higher, could be dangerous or unpleasant. Electric heaters dry the air inside a sauna very much, its better to have a possibility to splash a water on the stones to increase a humidity. Do not make a mix with a sauna and alcohol.

20. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    A year ago I had a spa built under our master bath. Traditional/IR sauna and steam room. I try to alternate between all 3 3-4x per week.

IR only gets to around 140 but that’s not really for “heat”
    Traditional up to 170 with water on lava rocks puts you at the nice 210 target combined temp
    Steam at 105 and I can only do 18 mins at a time but is so nice with lavender oil drips on the steam heads.

This winter I started cold plunging in the pool while it was in the 50’s and the feeling is pretty amazing. Sometimes alternating between steam - pool - steam - cold shower. I like it so much I ordered a Renu Tberapy Siberian and waiting on it to be delivered.

21. Leksi

Leksi Rookie

Feb 26, 2023
    Russia, ORN
    Full Name:
    Leksi
    Lavender, ylang - ylang, eucalyptus, peppermint, mandarin, and 2 or 3 other kinds of oil, that is what I have inside a sauna. Also I make "beer steam", by mixing a bit beer with hot water and splashing it on the rocks.

22. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I use my health club's sauna after every workout. I try to do 15 minutes but it's too hot. I usually quit after 12 to 13. I'm not sure of the exact temp but it's much hotter than the one at Life Time. It's so hot I have to splash water on my flip flops before I put them back on to keep from burning my feet.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat