Saving a 914 | FerrariChat

Saving a 914

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Mechanical Dad, Nov 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Well I found another project but this time it way older with a few hang ups. It's a 1970 914. The current owner bought it at an estate sale but has no title. He tells me that I can register it in Vermont and get clear paperwork. (In NY you can't scrap a car without registration or a title) I've spoke to a few people who've owned and worked on them and they say go for it based on the fact it's mostly there and at least it could be parts out if need be. I saved my Mondial and my 924 from a dismantler so maybe this could eventually be number 3?
    Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    You're a brave man to consider rescuing a 914, they rust to the point where even the rust rusts..... Parts supply never used to be brilliant either. Still, perhaps it's a lucky car and will live again.
    As a '70 it should have the 1.7 litre W code engine as shared with the VW type 4 sedan - originally it would have been fuel injected, but that looks to have gone astray in the intervening years. You will also note that the cooling cowls atop the engine are missing. Engine bits should be easy enough to get owing to the shared usage in volume VWs - although converting back to FI will likely present challenges in parts supply.
    Fun cars - very go-cart-y to drive but never 'quick' in standard trim. Best of luck with the rebuild :)

peterp likes this.
  3. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Going back to look at it next week and dig a little deeper before I buy it. I have a good feeling about it now, until I check out the engine a bit more and see the underside, but that could change what its fate is. Not sure why I want it, I just do.

4. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    So it carburated now? I didn't have much time to look at it. I've read that people would change it over

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

See the carb on top of the engine in your pic??? under the aftermarket air cleaner?

To have any value after the restore, you need to put the injection back on the engine... finding parts is difficult ... maybe a parts car?

6. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    This is the first one ever ever seen in person so I must admit I am not familiar with them at all other than quick research on the web. I've never seen one around in WNY. And this just came up so I went to look at it. I figured it's a 914 so it has to be worth saving to some degree. I've been looking it up more after I got to see it yesterday. I thought that I looked like it had a carb on it vs FI, but that's why I put it up here for some info/observavtions/ recommendations from the more 914 educated .

7. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    I am amazed. You have saved some real heaps from the scrap pile. You have my full and in daunting respect. Cudos to you.

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I know zero about P cars. A quick Hemmings search show high ask of $35K, most low 20's that are not basket cases.

It's going to cost many sweat equity hours to restore this. Move on, Josh.

BTW - I've seen 2 around. One of Southwestern Blvd and another in Cheektowaga, similar condition and I bet it's still rotting where I last saw it.

9. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    There’s no financial upside to this one.
    But then, there’s no financial upside to fly fishing either.

I restored my 64 MK II from a similar state, and its taken 20 years to be worth what I spent.
    But I enjoyed the process and have 20 years of fond memories. So to me, it was well worth the cost.
    If you want to restore it as part of your hobby, you can argue either way. But only you can say if it’s worth it.

There sure looks like there’s a lot of rust in the lower half of the car.
    And that’s only what you can see. There will obviously be more once you tear into it.
    You’re a brave man for even considering it.

Island Time likes this.
  10. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Drop a small block V8 in and have some fun!

Scott

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Renegade hybrids in Las Vegas sells conversion kits if you are interested in going the V8 route.

Scott

12. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I've seen Subaru swaps and the LS swap. Seems like a fun toy with that much power. My biggest concern is how can i get paperwork to register it or scrap it (required in NY) if I decide to part it. The current owner bought it as a lot from an estate and has nothing but another title from a different 914. He claims I can register it in Vermont? Anyone heard of this. Still on the fence about getting it. Hopefully I can go back Monday

13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Mechanical Dad likes this.
  14. catwalk

catwalk Rookie

Jul 14, 2006
    new york city
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buyak
    they sag in the middle from frame rot , if the doors are touching the tops of the rear quarters...its pretty far gone

15. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

They're all missing door handles... hard to find.

16. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    May be letting it go. Spoke to the owner today and he says he has a buyer looking at shipping quotes and offered more cash. Damn. Ah well maybe it wasnt meant to be. Thanks for everyone's input and opinions! . I'll keep searching.

17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You’re better off.

Matt

Texas Forever and Dave rocks like this.
  18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Exactly.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Change your focus to the green '50's Chev pickup next to it.........more upside! ;)

20. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    As others have said, rust is the enemy of the 914. Everything else is easy in comparison. I looked at one 914 for sale back in the late 70's and, during the test drive, we made the apparent mistake of opening both doors while the roof was off when my brother and I switched driving positions -- it sagged a bit in the center and then the doors wouldn't close. We had to manually hold the doors closed on the drive back to the seller's house. :eek: I told the seller I would "think about it".

I later bought a nice one (while in high school circa 1979ish for $2300 (every cent I had at the time)) and it was slow but fun. The engine on that car threw a rod when I was in college, so I bought another parts 914 for something like $400 that was literally collapsed in the middle from rust. You could drive the parts car, but, as it turned out, we needed a floor jack to get it over a speed bump into my college apartment complex. I ended up swapping engines and selling what remained.

The dilemma with 914's restorations is that, if you restore if for value (back to original), it won't be that much fun power-wise (but otherwise is still a fun to drive) -- and if you restore it for fun (with a modded version of the original engine), it will be fun but won't have much value.

21. jmuriz

jmuriz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    +1 that car was too far gone to be worth it. You would have had to replace just about everything on it to get rid of the rot. Check out 914world.com if you want to see some nice-looking cars that had a LOT of hidden rust. That car wasn't even trying to hide it :D To top it off it has the 1.7 with the dreaded 2-barrel weber progressive carb conversion (barf)

22. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Amen!

23. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    Looks similar to my first car -- a '70 914 that I bought when I was 16 years old (circa '96). It had been sitting under a redwood tree in damp tree sheddings for years. Paid $100 -- the same price the owner said the scrap yard was going to give him. Some friends and I towed it to a vacant lot where we planned to work on it (my parents forbade me to have the car, so it had to stay hidden). A few weeks later it mysteriously vanished. Called the county to see if it was towed, but they had no knowledge. Either way, the car was too rusty to save so I'm glad it was taken before I could waste more money on it.

24. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Start with a better car if you are going to get into 914's. I have two chassis that I am working on now that will become 914-6 conversions. The chassis are very prone to rust as a few others have already stated. Chassis longitudinals are where most of it is hidden.
    Do check out 914World.com garage forum for tons of threads on restorations. Not for the faint hearted. Nice to see values climbing as it's been a stepchild in the Porsche world. They are a blast to drive and handle like a go kart.

Mechanical Dad likes this.
  25. Mechanical Dad

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    He won't sell it ! I already asked!