Scaglietti Paint Chart...circa 1966 | FerrariChat

Scaglietti Paint Chart...circa 1966

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Aug 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #1 PAUL BABER, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Found this on the internet......Might be of use to someone....You need to enlarge on your browser by at least 50% and its a bit difficult to follow.........Also think a few mistakes......Verde Pino & Verde Medio are wrongly captioned ??.......Nevertheless its a help......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks !
    M

3. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Paul, No I do not believe there are any mistakes, you just have to follow the shift in the placement of the text. This is actually my photo, one of many that I took of this booklet, and I had shared the photo with some friends, and it has ended up as a reference posted by others onto the the web, but no problem, as it is a useful reference for all. The captions were added by others with photoshop, to match the color annotations printed on the back of each card. My recollection is that the color names/numbers were transcribed correctly to the photo when I saw the text added, as I provided the color list written directly and exactly off the back of the samples. Verde Medio is indeed the lighter metallic green; Verde Pino is the middle green. Verde Scuro is the very dark green, it is hard to photograph without looking almost black - it is really forest green. The light conditions were rudimentary, not great or balanced, when the photos were taken and a professional with the right daylight color temperature and the right professional lighting would capture the colors better than me. These are Glidden Salchi colors (Glidden Salchi is printed on the back cover of the booklet) used by Scaglietti for the 275 GTB. Some of them carry forward I think to the Daytona. Do not know if they are relative to some Lusso, depending on what paint brand/range Scaglietti was using then. Pininfarina used I believe a different line of paint and another color range. There is a common misunderstanding I think that you could order any color you wanted. Perhaps true in principle, you could order what you wished, but I would guess - and this is a speculative thought - that if you chose a color from this booklet for a Pininfarina-built 275GTS, then Pf would paint it in the nearest color out of their paint color offerings of different paint manufacture (I think Pf was using Italver brand in the mid to late 1960's) and say 'close enough'. For this reason it is best not to mix the color names from other eras, other paint manufacturers in period, or other coachbuilders in period, they differ and do not cross over as identical. Pininfarina built not only Ferrari bodies, but Lancias, Alfas, etc. They often used the same exact paint color on a Lancia as a Ferrari, same number code, but gave the same color a different name for each! Chris

4. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber

Chris....Thats really helpful and hope you will forgive the breach of any 'copyright'.....However it really is helpful as the colour swatches are difficult to find today.......One can get 'near enough' from this chart. Its not only the different paint manufacturers to consider but the actual paint consistancy.......I abslutely hate period 50's-60's cars of nay make painted in the modern 2 pack method. They look too solid and have no depth to the paint .....so I have a painter who will still paint in cellulose....a rarity today.... but even that cellulose is now acrylic based so still different to the original but at least its better than 2 pack....... thanks again

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I am in the process of deciding what to do in regards to single stage vs. base and color coat paint for a car built in 1967 with single color. The main issue is the trade off between originality and repairability of the single vs two step paints. It's a hard decision, trust me, not as clear cut as one would think when you are footing the bill and making the decision. I am doing everything i can to put the car to original condition and this is the one area where I am having trouble convincing myself what to do.

6. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Paul, No worry about breach of copyright, the photo is out there and useful for others (as long as no one makes false claim or publishes it in print for money - that's different, then you have to ask - it is just a photo of a paint booklet after all. The tell-tale in any case is the one sample regretably cut in the past, but most of the color name and number remain on the uncut section of this sample. Regarding my comment about Pf using the same color for different marques, I looked up a few examples from notes. MM 16249 is a frequent Max Meyer color on Pf-built 250s, called 'Grigio Conchiglia'. Same paint code number on a Pf-built Lancia is 'Grigio Albany'. MM 16119 is called 'Rosso Rubino' by Pf for Ferrari; same MM code for a Lancia of the period is 'Rosso Jamaica'. As for the modern catalyzed paints, they seem to have come a long way over the years and polish out to near lacquer depth in exchange for superior stability, durability. The systems with clear coats alter the appearance a bit in comparison, and not sure how it looks when scratched or repaired. I probably could not tell the difference without side-by-side. Limited experience having a car painted and I'm no paint chemist or paint technician, just an observation. In the end the expertise of the painter probably makes all the difference, and no one wants their car to look like a resin bowling ball! And of course these days there are regulations to consider in the US.

7. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #7 PAUL BABER, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
    Its these same wretched regulations that killed off cellulose over here.....Harms the planet apparently......Trees or Ferraris ????? No brainer really but I'm no politician

8. jlotman

jlotman Rookie

Aug 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Jeff Lotman
    This was a HUGE help

looking at a 4cam from 66 that seems to have the confusing paint number from Classique and this may clear the mistake up.

tks

Jeff

9. ryanbushell

ryanbushell Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Ryan Bushell
    I have a Scaglietti leather swatch I can post photos of aswell

10. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Please do........Thanks

11. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  12. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    So is the bright silver at the top "Argento Auteil" or is that the darker small sample in the center?

14. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I dont know, hard to tell from that photo. I wish everybody who owned such things would put them up on F Chat, I dont think that would reduce the item's value and would be a great resource for the community.

15. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
  16. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Blu Sera ?

17. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Reply to Post 14, if you are referencing the photo at the start of this thread, the cut sample of darker gray is Grigio Ferro; the lighter silver is Argento Auteil. The arrow is not well placed. The order of the color names around the wheel is correct, just count from "Nero" (black) to follow as they can appear at a glance off one position to the samples the way whoever marked the photo placed the names at the corners of the colors. For example, Verde Medio is the light metallic green at 10:00, Verde Pino is the darker green immediately below it.

18. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Post 16 - ebay colour chart.
    My guess would be slightly darker than Sera, possibly Blu Scuro but I am not certain.

19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #20 TTR, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here, but...
    ...I could use something like this from Daytona early production era ('69-'72 or so) or even individual slips of Blu Scuro & Oro Chiaro for visual verification of formulas I found.

I could to either buy a reasonably priced complete booklet or single slips or I'm willing to pay reasonable compensation along with any subsequent, secure (I have a FedEx account ?) shipping fees if I could just briefly "borrow" either aforementioned booklet or slips.

Please PM your terms if you have any available.

Thank you,
    Timo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login