Scale model question: what would you do? | FerrariChat

Scale model question: what would you do?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bigodino, Aug 4, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Usually I'm quite certain what models I do and don't want in my collection, but this time I'm not sure what to do.
    Here's the (first world) problem: I have a nice model in my collection by BBR. It's not a Ferrari by the way, but that isn't relevant (it's a Porsche 936). BBRs are relatively expensive. Now Solido has come out with their version of the same model for a substantially lower price than the BBR. From the pictures the Solido doesn't look that much cheaper than the BBR. So with the price difference I could potentially regain some money by selling the BBR and buying the Solido.
    I decided to see which model comes closest in shape to the real thing and to my dismay they both don't match the real car at all! Proportions on both models are off.

So should I sell both models? Keep the BBR, even knowing that it's a flawed, yet expensive model? Sell the BBR and buy the Solido instead, knowing that it's a flawed model but at least it's cheap?

Curious what others would do in this case!

Best, Peter

2. Ferri

Ferri Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hugo Garritsen
    Hoi Peter,

You do not seem to be happy with both models, and you won't be in the near future. So selling both is the best way and wait for one that's making you happy to look at.

Groet,
    Hugo

3. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    If they are both wrong, and you aren't satisfied, sell both. If you want to keep one because you like the car the model is based on, decide which is closer. I made the same decision with some IXO and Kyosho models. Neither are perfect, but on the shelf from 5 feet away, they represent the cars I like. I sold the more expensive Kyosho models, because the IXO are "good enough".

Selling diecast (at least on eBay) is down right now. You won't get back what you paid in most cases anyway. Collecting diecast has always been buy high, sell low with few exceptions. I have sold over 2500 model cars on eBay, and maybe 5 surprised me with good numbers.

4. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I've personally never been a great fan of BBR when it comes to 1/18th scale.
    I think they make too many models by the car manufacturer and make too many colour variants of the same model.
    Plus being resin most (not all) don't have opening features.
    I'm a big CMC fan, but realise their model range is pretty limited.
    I would sell both the models provided that you don't take a bath on either and wait for something with better proportions to come out.

5. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I would have to disagree with you on that point, it seems like ever since the pandemic, prices for scale models have skyrocketed. Not for the cheap end of the market, but when reducing my collection of Autoart & Kyosho models, I almost doubled my money on all of them.

I would also suggest selling both, the inaccuracies will continue to bother you as long as they are on the shelf. In my experience, the more expensive the inaccurate model is, the more it will bother you :)

Lusso123 and gt4me like this.
  6. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Thanks for the replies. I'm aware that if accuracy is the dominant factor, I should sell off most of my collection! Both models look respectable, until you compare them with the real thing. Not sure what I'll do yet. I haven't seen the Solido in real life yet (I mistakenly posted about selling off both models, but I only have the BBR right now). Maybe I should inspect the Solido first before making a decission.

7. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    sell the BBR, keep the Solido
    you will get less than 30€ for the model
    to much work and risk for some coins

8. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The bbr is a really old early bbr. For me, from the good old days. Nowadays bbr isn't just very special anymore.

As a modelguy, i prefer rarity and handmade over factoryproduction. At present, bbr is a factory producing 1000's of everything they make. Back in the day, they were special.

Porsches by bbr aren't high in price, but its a nice car.

Romaihi, Rosey, Lusso123 and 2 others like this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agreed, current BBR are very overrated IMHO.

10. moriaan1

moriaan1 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans
    I see collectors with dozins of enzo's and other current models in a rainbow of colors stating its a collection... NO its not, its simply buying what comes by..

Building a collection takes time, patience, selectivity and (real) exclusivity. adding models is to easy.

Once I owned 300 bbr, all different types (not colors), I kept 5 that are really special to me, the rest is gone.

Rosey, Romaihi and Lusso123 like this.
  11. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I completely agree. I sold ALL of my 1:43 BBRs, along with some other models many years ago when they started to ignore their previously quoted "limited edition" numbers, and started making and selling as many as they could; reissued so-called "limited editions" - screw the collector is BBRs motto. So, now in my collection, I have only 5 BBRs in 1:18, the exact same number of BBR's as Hans.

12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    I had two BBR's in my large 1/18 Ferrari collection.

One was the 250 GTO in red but it always annoyed me there was no cavallino rampante in the front grille.

I sold it and replaced it with the CMC version, have never looked back.

Still have the 288 GTO by BBR, best 288 GTO 1/18th replica short of an Amalgam in my opinion so that one I've kept.

You could go broke trying to collect every Ferrari model in 1/18th by BBR let alone every colour and variant.

I'll leave that for others to pursue.

13. Romaihi

Romaihi Rookie

Apr 26, 2020
    Qatar
    Full Name:
    Hamad Al Romaihi
    I agree 100%

BBR became too commercial

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

14. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    So I've decided to sell the BBR and I'm not going to buy the Solido. Instead, I bought the version by Spark! Much more accurate model and Spark is one of my favorite makes. Weird that I didn't know spark made this model too.

I'm tempted to selling off one of my two CMC 312Ps as well as one of my two GMP 330s and replace them with models that have better QC. They can be sealed models, because I will still have one CMC and one GMP sitting next to them, opened up.
    So which 312P and 330P4/412P make should I buy? I saw the 312P by Tecnomodel this week and although I'm no Tecnomodel fan, that one did look very decent. Voor the 330P4/412P I'm thinking about GP Replicas. Any other suggestions?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    You should get some good money for the CMC 312P.

I have both versions and I love them.

Some specific examples had quality control issues but I was lucky, both of mine were good examples.

Good luck with your search.