School me on measuring clutch wear, 360 F1 | FerrariChat

School me on measuring clutch wear, 360 F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by PeterS, Sep 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I watched the video posted below on getting a read on clutch wear. I had thought that a physical look and physical measuring the wear was how it's done. Apparently not! That said, what is the diagnostic tool looking at to get a reading on the remaining life? Side note, my 2000 F1 360 had 40% left on the clutch when I purchased it 9 months ago and since then, I have put roughly 1,200 miles on the car with non-aggressive driving habits so this December, I'd like to get this measurement done for S&G's.

Appreciate the schooling on this!

(78) Clutch wear check after 8 years with hybrid clutch 2000 Ferrari 360 - YouTube

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

a physical look IS the best method available, although physical measurement is kind hard without removing the gearbox from the engine.
    there's an inspection hole that you can look up, with a trained eye, you can estimate the thickness of the clutch better than any diagnostic tool, which can be unreliable

RedTaxi likes this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I've always thought if you measure the depth of the grooves in a new clutch plate you could measure the depth of the grooves on you clutch plate through the inspection hole using thin wires of known diameters.