School me on the F1. | FerrariChat

School me on the F1.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Where's Maranello, Oct 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I've had our '01 360 Spider for around 7 months now. Still learning things. I had a few questiosn on the F1. First, when in 1st gear, foot on the brake, should it have a little bit of pull to it? Release the brake and it will roll a little? Same in reverse? Also, what is a better way to downshift (to extend clutch life)? When I'm on a fun little drive, of course, I use the paddles, but going through town, I let it do it by itself. I've read, some will go to neutral and cost to a red light. Is this better? Part of the resaon I'm asking, is that I just replaced a battery and seems the clutch adjustment lost it's memory when no voltage to the TCU. I did the "self learn" procedure and it seems much better.
    One more thing: Sometimes, when cold, it won't downshift on it's own. It sounds like it tried but stays in the higher gear. Parking, shutting engine off then starting up again and no more issue. Is that common?
    Thanks for any info.
    Bob

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I put it in neutral at lights. It saves wear on the throw-out bearing and eliminates any drag on the driven disks in the clutch pack.

Ray

3. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Just to clarify :
    Neutral at light does not save wear on the throw-out bearing. In this case, the TCU maintains the clutch open and the ToB is still pushing on the mechanism.
    If your PIS is a bit on the tight side, selecting N will eliminate any drag because in N the clutch is bit more opened than in 1st. If your PIS is spot on (no drag) or a bit on the high side, selecting N won't make significant diffrence.

iMrMark likes this.
  4. HammerPants

HammerPants Rookie

Jan 1, 2020
    Asheville, NC
    My 360 F1 does not "pull" in any gear (including reverse) until the gas pedal is pressed. With my foot off the gas and the car in gear, it behaves exactly like a manual transmission car with the clutch pedal depressed. I am not an expert but it sounds like your PIS might need to be adjusted?

Ray Smith likes this.
  5. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That's fascinating. I learned that procedure here on Fchat. I am so glad to hear that news because that procedure is a PITA. I will connect my X-431 Torque tool and let it record the live data stream of TCU commands to verify that of course and post it here.

Thanks for the clarification.

Ray

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The biggest thing to improve clutch life, also mentioned here, and even on a stick car is to get the clutch to fully engage as fast as possible .. so try to get to 2k quickly and don't inch up by feathering gas pedal ( like stuck in traffic etc)...and of course avoid reverse as much as possible

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The clutch is always open when an F1 Ferrari is stopped, regardless of whether in neutral or in gear, just like Eric said. Coasting to a stop in neutral saves several downshifts and synchronizer and throw-out bearing cycles, but there is little to no benefit while fully stopped, just like Eric said.

Drive an F1 Ferrari exactly like you do a three pedal car (assuming you have driven a three pedal). If you are a downshift to a stop kind of guy with three pedals, do that with F1. If you are a coast to a stop in neutral guy with three pedals, do that with F1. If coasting to a stop in neutral and traffic starts moving, either the upshift or downshift paddle will get you the same gear. This gear will be too high for comfortable acceleration so a useful technique is to always use the downshift paddle to get her into gear and then perform an immediate downshift to get a usable gear. As a technique, I never let the F1 system automatically downshift because it only does that barely prior to lugging. If you want her to downshift, do it yourself.

8. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks, Taz.

I have driven 3-pedal cars ― never a slush-box ― since I was 16. I wanted an F1 because it makes heel-and-toe downshifting a thing of the past and prevents over-revving the engine on downshifts and bending every valve stem.

In a three peddle car I always held the clutch in the open position with the transmission in first. Until one day a mechanic told me I was putting undo pressure on the TOB. So I switched to putting the 6-speed in neutral with the clutch disengaged. I never used the transmission to slow the car by downshifting because brakes are cheap, clutches are expensive. Racing is different but one still uses the brakes only to slow the car, downshifting only to set up the car for corner exit.

There was a thread about this subject perhaps 8 months ago and the consensus was to put the car in neutral at stoplights and avoid stop-and-go traffic which produces wear on the clutch disk. I will search for it but have little hope of finding it unfortunately.

But now I am curious so I will connect my X-431 Torque to the OBDII port, and drive the car around shifting, putting the trans in neutral at stop lights and leaving it in 1st gear, save the data for later examination with an eye towards TCU commands to the clutch to see the position of the TOB.

I will post the data here for independent examination.

I will see if I can find the original thread that recommended the "neutral-at-lights" technique.

I would appreciate a definitive answer since doing the neutral-at-lights thing often leaves me stepping on the accelerator only to produce a satisfying roar, but no movement because the GB is in neutral. Very embarrassing.

Ray

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Actually I did this test and was surprised to find the clutch was pressurized when in neutral

Please confirm

Thanks

Ray Smith likes this.
  10. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks for the information. I will post the log in pdf format here.

Do you by any chance remember the older thread that suggested the neutral-at-lights technique?

Ray

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    no - i will try to look for it in a little while

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Ray Smith likes this.
  13. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wow, a lot of interesting info coming in here. Many different opinions on the N at a stop light. One guy I knew, (that researches everything to no end) believed in going to neutral when the car is not moving. Then, I've read were some will cost to a stop in N. But, as Taz says, costing will save some gear changes with related parts. If I'm on my way to a nice road or driving home from a nice road, I'd want to save some part wear. But enjoy the shifting on a lively drive.
    I was going to take my car in for the PIS adjustment and when I called the shop, (reputable in my area), they said it's easy to do and gave me the instructions over the phone. I'm still considering taking it in just to get a more exact adjustment to what I want and not what the car wants. Such as Hammer says, his car does not want to pull when put in gear. My car has that little "clunk" when put in gear. And when removing my foot from the brake, will start to roll.
    I've read a little about the Launch scanner. At $1500, are they worth the price and usable on many things on a 360?
    Sounds like I may be the only one that has the issue of, no downshifting, after the car's been sitting for a week or so. But, shutting it off and back on and it downshifts on it's own again.
    Thanks for the great responses.

14. contender23

contender23 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    I recommend replacing your TCU with a CS version. It will change the car and you will never regret it. I wish someone told me that when I bought my 360.

15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I’m a coast with neutral guy in a manual. I’ve tried that technique in the Scud and it always feels like a clusterf-k when coasting with neutral and trying to re-engage into gear when traffic starts moving. Seems like you cleared some of this up because I always felt the transmission was “lost” in trying to figure out where it’s supposed to be. I also found the shifting to be quite laggy when going from neutral into gear selection.

Ray Smith likes this.
  16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #16 tazandjan, Oct 18, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    To do a really good job on setting PIS, you need to be looking at movement of the output shaft and that is best done by an expert. The idea is to get PIS as low as possible without the output shaft moving, so it is a trial and error thing. Easy for a pro to do after several thousand times, not as easy for an amateur.

The technique for getting her going from neutral has always worked for me and I have had my F1 car for over 13 years now.

Bob- Make sure and maintain your F1 system. I have my techs suck out half the fluid with a turkey baster every year so she does not need to be bled. Every three years time for a full fluid change, bleed, leak check, and self-test. Ferrari did not figure out that needed to be done until the 599 came out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Thanks Flash, that is the thread I was referring to in my post.

On the second page of that thread Taz writes:

I don't quite understand why the TOB would be under pressure even in neutral. In a 3-pedal car with the clutch disengaged in neutral there is no pressure on it.

But I'll run the test and look at the raw data and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

Ray

flash32 likes this.
  18. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    Modern hydraulic and self-adjusting cable clutch release systems require a preload on the release bearing. In hydraulic systems, the preload is provided by a spring in the slave cylinder. This preload causes the release bearing to run constantly on the clutch diaphragm fingers when the engine is running.

Ray Smith likes this.
  19. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    That's the strategy selected by Ferrari or Magneti Marelli for the F1.
    When you stop at a light, with the engine running, in 1st or in N, the clutch is commanded open (a bit more opened in N than in 1st). So, whatever the selected gear (or N) is the ToB is pushing on the mechanism.
    I would have to check but it is well possible that after 10 min or so, standstill in N, the F1 system finally closes the clutch and releases pressure from the ToB.

iMrMark and Ray Smith like this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Then the TOB must fail rather quickly in a system such as you describe. It would seem to me that the TOB wears out and fails long before the driven disk is worn down from friction with the flywheel. The diaphragm fingers on the pressure plate must also wear quickly. That would explain why clutch life is such an issue with these cars. This is rather depressing information. I have put well over 100,000 miles on some of my Corvette 6-speed cars and clutch life was never an issue. That would explain why 14-year old 430s are sold with very low mileage. Sell it before the clutch fails seems to be the rationale.

But thanks for the information, and thanks to eric355, and flash32.

Ray

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  22. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Unfortunately, or fortunately, the PO installed a Stradale TCU. I haven't driven a stock TCU car so nothing to compare with other than a 911 with PDK which shifts, pretty quick. I've noticed, the 360, in most conditions, shifts fairly quick but harder acceleration, seems to take a second to adjust throttle, shift and get the clutch back out.
    It's difficult to get my head around the ToB being under pressure all the time. I've had older 3 pedal cars that when sitting in neutral with the clutch out, you can hear the bearing rattling around. Push the clutch and it's quite. But, I can see that, for maximum performance, you want the pressure plate as close to the clutch disc as possible. I'll call the shop and see about getting the PIS adjusted. Seems, if mine has a little pull, at a red light, there would be some friction which means wear. I'll also look into replacing some F1 fluid as Taz says. Sounds like it's not that difficult.
    Lot's of info, in this thread, I haven't seen before. Thanks for all the input.
    Bob

23. knocker

knocker F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2017
    Sydney Aus
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I’ve had our 2001 360 spider for 4 years and we’re just getting a fresh clutch this week, it did a tad over 40,000 klms on the last one, 30,000 of those klms with us and I drive it with gusto around our mountains out here in western Sydney Australia, I guess the longer the road trips the less the clutch is used so plan those long drives and have fun
    Our cars done 122,000klms and getting better with each run

24. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Anyone wanting to improve shifting and supposedly better sustain clutch life can take a look at the Formula Dynamics module too. It's an add on so you don't have to buy a whole new TCU. My GranTurismo has one installed and the previous owner said it made a huge difference. It is supposed to sharpen the shifts and from what I've seen in videos of other GT's mine does seem to shift faster (which would logically in my mind anyway mean at least slightly less clutch wear).

No affiliation or anything. On my car the software really speeds up the shifts when the throttle is at least 80% and RPMs above 5,500. They are very quick when up in that range.

http://www.formuladynamics.com/products/f360_f1em/f360_f1em.php

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of lurking here reading threads since I am still learning about my car too and it's similar system and don't find much info elsewhere. I did see somewhere else like was already mentioned above, if you are sitting still and take your foot off the brake and the car starts pulling, it needs adjusting. Mine will roll if on a hill but otherwise just sits there.

I waffle back and forth between shifting to N when coming to a stop and just letting the car downshift. After reading this thread and thinking though I'll probably just go back to hitting N just to avoid the extra downshifts. That makes sense to me, dunno if it's right or not. :)

25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    With the clutch out in neutral the rattling is gear chatter from the unloaded backlash and perfectly normal. All my manual BMW's have done it. Noise from a bad TOB happens when you depress the clutch. Some cars have the TOB sprung on to the clutch fingers and they spin all the time. Some have the TOB sprung away giving some free play.