Schumacher's neck ***SPOILER*** | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Schumacher's neck ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Mar 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    +100000 some naysayers should be eating their words. he did well

2. Modena360-66

Modena360-66 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    That was more than enough for me:

Good start, kept the pace with his teammate, held up webber and Button.

So, no, he is not above the others like he used to be, but yes, he is on the same level than the others, wich is really good after his 3 years break.

So, the come back is already a success.
    Now, either he keeps that "normal" pace or come back on his ex-level.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I'd be more inclined to think that if Varsha says something, it's more than likely NOT to be true, considering that man is an utter dunce and a sniveling little toad who should go back to lawyering.

;)

Did you too roll your eyes about his CONTINUED excuses for USF1?

4. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I'm not writing him off that quickly... once he gets the car to his liking, he will only improve.

I think he is in the hunt for the lead this year... the Benz is clearly slower than the Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren, but Schumi did very well with what he had to work with.

5. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    MS has always liked a car with a very sharp front end with no understeer as he carries more speed from turn in to apex then other drivers. If Merc develops the car in this direction, he will get stronger especially compared to NR.

6. Modena360-66

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I read somewhere that the tiny wheels on the front aren't helping with that.

7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #57 tifosi12, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    I heard his comments but they weren't really saying anything other than that they're under a gag order. How convenient.

Coming back to the thread:

Isobel gets gigantic kudos for taking on a bet that Rosberg will outscore MS. So far she is on the right track. Bravo!

8. 430lover

430lover Karting
    BANNED

Sep 14, 2009
    Michael might win it..Dont sleep on him.

9. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Respectable finish. It's in everyone's best interest that he at least look like a contender. Seems like the bloom is off the MS mystic at any rate. Oh well, good luck moving forward MS.

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It's pretty depressing when some of you guys EXPECT a guy to come out of retirement and immediately Q in the top 3 and finish in the top 3, let alone win.

Can't you give him (and the entire team) some races to figure things out?

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Still it's amazing his fastest lap was greater than Rosberg's:

fastest laps:

Michael Schumacher Mercedes 2′00.204 (after 3 years! wow)
    Nico Rosberg Mercedes 2′00.236 (this is one of Nico's fav tracks)

12. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    its just great to see him back in a f1 car, GIVE IT A REST,non of you guys could even lap a track 1/2 as fast as mr schumacher

13. Modena360-66

Sep 25, 2007
    Perpignan, France
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    it's just when you see the fastest la p of the race (alonso 1:58.something)

that you see Mercedes is in trouble.

14. jk0001

jk0001 F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2005
    Sun Coast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Finally a sensible person has something to say. Thank you!

15. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #65 tifosi12, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
    That's nonsense.

There are plenty of folks on here who could do a lap in twice the time MS needs.

E.g. Road America track record is like 1:39. Double that and you get over 3 minutes. Even average guys with a fast car can lap it easily under 3 minutes.

Here some more examples:

Schumacher did Monza in 1:35. Double that and you get 3 minutes 10. Ferrari Challenge drivers are by all accounts gentlemen driver as you would find them on here. They did Monza in 2:02.

Montreal lap record for F1 is 1:13. Ferrari Challenge (and those are not exactly F1 cars) do it in 1:47. Well below 2:26

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

Could be. maybe it was just this track

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    I can see Michael quitting soon, only because retirement was more exciting than racing. The only thing missing from the parade during the Bore-rain GP were floats....

18. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    Very true. Schui put in a stunning first performance, and had the pace vs Nico. Whilst the race was on, I was tracking the lap times and sector times of both. I noted the following points:-

1. Nico was more consistent - his sector and lap times had less variation lap to lap. Is this age catching up with MS?
    2. Schui was consistently slower in Sector 1 (0.2 - 03 second) - but consistently faster in Sectors 2 & 3
    3. Nico was better on fresh tyres - he consistently got up to speed faster than MS did, and this was the primary reason why he ended up a few seconds ahead at the end. This would suggest that MS has yet to get fully dialled into the 'feel' of the current gen F1 cars.

It's too early to draw any firm conclusions, but it seems clear where MS needs to find speed vs Nico. Australia should be good indicator of progress as MS has lots of experience here - so if he is going to 'turn it on', he will start here...

Just my 2c.

19. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I don't get it. To anyone who thinks this season is going to be soooooo boring: Why be against having the most accomplished driver in the history of the sport coming out of retirement, facing his old team?

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

You said it. I will give Michael a few races to see where he is at. If Michael is clearly ahead of Nico by then, but off-pace with leaders then I believe the issue is car related, not driver. A perfect example is Fernando Alonso with Renault the past couple seasons. Fabulous driver in a not fabulous car. Another example is Button. Good driver, fantastic car = championship. Nothing one can really do about that sort of situation other than wait for engineers to update the car to be competitive, if it's possible. The F60 suffered from being impossible to be updated enough to make it right.

21. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Why they don't open the circuits a day ahead of schedule for testing is completely beyond me! Getting there a day early won't add much to the cost, and you're free to do whatever you want on Thursday (including not show up!)

The no testing rule has gone way too far IMHO - If you're crap out of the box there's very little you can do about it - OK, I know Mclaren caught Brawn last year, but they were really the only ones who did, and they *are* one of the most experienced teams out there.

I don't want a return to the days of a "race team" and a separate "test team" (That got completely out of hand!) but let 'em test at the track on Thursday so at least they've got a chance to improve..... In fact, how about the podium finishers in any race can't participate on Thursday? [Just a thought....]

Cheers,
    Ian

22. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    +1. Good points Ian.

Outstanding suggestion of allowing drivers not on the podium or at a certain pts cutoff (4th, 6th, 8th, or 10th place etc. just pick one) not being allowed to participate on Thursday but allowing the rest of the field maybe an afternoon practice session on Thursday.

The way the rules are currently, your laps are extremely limited, so you have to optimize what you have, and do not have the incentive to be creative or try alternate solutions unless you are really off the pace of where you need to be and are desperate to try an unconventional solution to put yourself back in the game.

Frank

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. They've gotta go thru' scrutineering - Not like in testing - And the track is open all day....

As to the cut-off point, how about; "Any manufacturer that's on the podium" (?) - Neither Ferrari nor Mclaren could take part on Thursday in two weeks.....

Indeed. And they've also gone from 14 to 11 sets of tires / weekend.

Cheers,
    Ian

24. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    Agree except I am rooting for MS (and Ross) as much as I am pulling for Ferrari.

It's just great to see MS on track. It adds a lot to the season from where I sit.

25. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    +1

Based on all the comments, I'm afraid of what will happen to him if MS starts winning. We'll have to put him on suicide watch...