Schumacher's neck ***SPOILER*** | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Schumacher's neck ***SPOILER***

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Mar 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Great avatar and great man. By far the greatest F1 driver of all time, as well as a gentleman. No parking on the track or crashing into competitors for Juan-Manuel... Just pure class.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Lets not forget that he won one title by using the car of his team mate. While that was legal back then, it is not the nicest thing to do.

3. Mezza Notte

Mezza Notte Karting
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes, you could almost say that she has more balls than you. :)

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Changing the rules willy-nilly never works and I tend to think that the less regulation the better. Trying to save someone from themselves is always a thankless endevour usually doomed to failure.
    Track design is one area that makes a huge difference, can be modified without relying on the individual teams to comply and can be done fairly quickly.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed, well done Bumblefudge..:)

6. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You promised never to call me that in public;)

7. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A free-market guy like myself. Ultimately what we like is innovation and competition, not contrived drama. I agree with the notion of modifying track design. Bahrain is a boring track, no way around it. I feel the same for Australia. I actually enjoy Malaysia and China (even if they don't turn on the sprinklers per Varsha :) ) so I'll just grin and bear it.

I'm a nerd, so there is always something to keep my interest during the race; even if it is minutia.

8. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unfortunately there aren't enough fans like us to keep the sport alive. The casual fan needs more immediate gratification.

9. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    As great as MS is...

I can't help but wonder how many additional championships Fangio would have had if he'd started racing at the highest level from his early 20s...

It's not his fault they didn't even have an F1 championship until he was 37 (IIRC)!!!

Take MS's career after the age of 37, then we have a true apples to apples comparison.

Not to mention an accident like 99 in a 50s car would have been curtains for MS...and prevented him breaking all those records.

In Fangio's time it was a victory just to SURVIVE until retirement age...

Frank

p.s. This is not to belittle MS's achievements. They are indeed staggering. However, the dangers of the 50s cars, allied to Fangio's advanced age when the F1 championship started are mitigating factors in a comparison. It is also much easier to rack up 91 victories when you have 16-19 races a year compared to 6-7 European F1 races per year...THREE TIMES more races!

10. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Not really... presumably Fangio raced against men his own age and back then the forces exerted on the body were certainly not as great as today. Schumacher raced against men his own age and the G-forces the body is subjected to is much greater, requiring greater levels of fitness from the driver and so shifting the median age of the grid downwards to younger men who were fitter and could tolerate it.

The number of race victories, given the longer calendars on the current circuit, might not be directly comparable between Fangio and Schumacher, but the number of titles certainly is - each would have had to win a similar proportion of the races and build a similar proportion of points in order to take the title.

The fact that Schumacher is able to finish in the points at his age today with the injuries he's recovered from is practically a victory in itself. I've said it before, but I really think that as soon as he gets back into the swing of things and overcomes his race rustiness, we'll see him much more competitive.

All the best,
    Andrew.

11. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    #136 zaevor2000, Mar 17, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
    I agree with your points, and is precisely why it will always be an apples-to-oranges comparison... two totally different worlds...you must always take the dangers of the 50s cars into consideration. Today's cars are much safer and you can now take chances that would have been suicidal in the 50s cars. I remember reading that Fangio had many nightmares due to the reckless chances he took in his 57 Nurburgring race, chances that rightly should have seen him in a coffin...

As far as age goes, Moss was a young, incredibly fit man and incredibly gifted driver and still couldn't topple the "Maestro". Collins was young as well... ;)

Frank

p.s. With his physical conditioning allied to his motivation and great racing brain, I personally believe MS is the ONLY driver I can think of that would even be CAPABLE of winning 5 titles past the age of 37... I personally believe he wants to hit the magic 100 (victories)...

12. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    As huge a Fangio fan as I am I have to say that its impossible to compare champions across eras.

13. zaevor2000

zaevor2000 Formula 3

Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Frank Waugh
    ^^^ look at the post above.

It will ALWAYS be an apples-to-oranges comparison. Two totally different eras; worlds apart.

Frank

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    We cross posted.

15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Fair enough, Frank. :)

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Melbourne certainly didn't change that.

Tick tock.

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003

Why are you so eager to see him quit?

As Bas posted on the other thread:

Bas Jaski
    F1 Rookie
    Not Subscribed Join Date: Mar 2008
    Full Name: Bas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Schumacher (10th)
    "I could have had a good race today so it was a pity that I was hit right after the start. That incident decided my race obviously. But things like that happen and you have to just say 'that's racing'. I had to take the remainder of the race from last position but I have to say that I was still having fun as our pace today was promising and for part of the race, we were going quicker than the top group. It was nice to pick up a point and we can take that good feeling into the next race where we will look forward to another challenge."

No excuses, so no moaning on the internets.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm not eager to see him quit at all. In fact I hope he hangs in there all season long.

I'm merely pointing out that early retirement is in the cards.

19. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    10-4. Alot of times internet conversations don't translate well.