scotch suggestion | Page 28 | FerrariChat

scotch suggestion

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by EDWARD C., Dec 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Has anyone ever tried one of these aging barrels? -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OK0MUT0/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1469205921&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=oak+barrels+for+aging+whiskey&dpPl=1&dpID=51PGlKLlMkL&ref=

It seems like it would be interesting to create a unique scotch. From the little I've read, it sounds like the oak flavor infusion happens MUCH faster in a small barrel. Without knowing anything about it, I'd be tempted to season the barrel with sherry and then age a 12 year scotch for a year or so.

2. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Woah! In Colorado Springs, Redbreast 21 was $50 and $25 on half-priced whisky Wednesdays.

You can get bottles at consumer prices for $225. Now, with the liquor license tax and fees even if they pay double there is plenty of padding on that drink.

3. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Yes. Use them sparingly. After two months it will completely turn the whisky into something you won't like.

The craftsmanship of these is generally poor and exposes the whisky to more air than usual. The rapid change comes from the amount of whisky exposed to surface area and the flavor changes rapidly. Use for no more than a month and then decant it.

It can have a mellowing effect on very high alcohol or cask strength whisky, but I would prefer 3-4ml of water which won't change the flavor as drastically.

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks, great info. Is it important to use a cask strength scotch? I'm tempted to use it on Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is not cask strength. I'd think that the ratio of oak to scotch is so high that it would work even if not cask strength. Also, is evaporation a problem?

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    No, just using cask strength as an example of the evaporation that happens to tame it, like the effect of adding a smidgen of water, you can cool it down abv % by adding water yourself without a small oak barrel.

You can take a mediocre scotch and use a good barrel to create something different. I haven't experienced it enough to know if it's better than before, only having experience with the barrels ruining good scotch from rapid flavor change and aging.

The only evaporation to really worry about is the alcohol content the longer it sits. If you have a really well crafted mini cask then this is less of a concern. I haven't seen anything high quality in the sub~100$ mass produced crap but I am sure there are some that exist of high quality for a price. You can buy used barrels, the thought of remanufacturing a small one out of it would be the closest thing to age-your-own.

Remember how the water of life is born, once you distill the spirit, the coopers putting together the hand selected casks for maturation play a big part along with the blender to develop something extraordinary.

tl;dr like wine, once you remove the cork its going to age rapidly and turn more quickly, the same goes with whisky if left to sit in anything but glass

6. nicoff

nicoff Rookie

Sep 2, 2016
    I was at a high-end bar in London last year. I told the bartender my preferences: my everyday drink is JW Black, but that I really liked Macallan (12 and up) and JW Gold. I asked him to surprise me and he brought me two samples. One was from Scotland: Royal Lochnagar, Distillers' Edition; the other was a Japanese whisky: Hibiki 17.
    I liked both very much, but of the two I preferred the Hibiki 17. I tried to buy both in London, but could not find them anywhere (no Hibiki anywhere and only a lower rated Lochnagar).
    After months of looking, I recently found Hibiki 17 in the USA (Miami, NYC, and Brooklyn). The prices vary a lot: anywhere from $199 to $250 for the same stuff (cheaper in Brooklyn!)
    I recently learned that Johnny Walker Gold uses malts produced by the Royal Lochnagar folks, so no wonder I liked that too!

7. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Coledoggy and I went to an EXCELLENT scotch tasting dinner here a couple of weeks ago, sponsored by Glenmorangie. 5 courses, 7 scotches, and you go home with a bottle of their Signet, which I found to be truly outstanding. Feast your eyes, and if one of these ever comes anywhere near you...GO!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Menu text doesn't look too clear in that first pic, here is closer look. For those keeping score, I found the Taghta and 18 year old to be the best, they had a bit more depth to the flavor compared to the very light flavor of standard Glenmorangie. The Milsean was also very enjoyable and stood out for uniqueness. It is aged in red wine casks that are flame "toasted" on the inside prior to filling, which results in the sugars from the wine being caramelized. It does have a hint of candied flavor to it. And of course the Signet was just on an entirely different level, both in terms of taste and price. But to me it is one of those expensive bottles that is probably worth the premium...just a wonderful depth and complexity.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for sharing. It looks like an amazing event. Signet is in a league of it's own IMO and, at about the same price as Macallan 18, I would go even further to say that Signet is a relative bargain for what you get.

10. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

The host from the Glenmorangie distillery made that exact point several times. He was admittedly biased of course, but he pointed out the price difference in Signet and other comparable products, as well as the relative value of their other whiskeys such as the 18 year old compared to competitors. The biggest reason he gave was that they do not distill any whiskey to be sold and used in blended whiskey. All of their production is dedicated to their in house single malt lines, so they have a relative surplus compared to other producers at the moment.

11. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #686 PureEuroM3, Nov 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    USA Today had a pretty good article a few days ago highlighting some newer whiskies suitable for Xmas gifts this year (at http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/experience/food-and-wine/2016/11/25/2016-whiskey-releases/94418544/ ). If you have a lush in your midst whose life is made just a little bit better with a dram of his or her favorite drink, almost anything on their list would be a good choice. Ones I especially liked were:

Macallan Double Cask 12 year old ($65USD)

Redbreast Lustau ($69USD). Redbreast is a great single pot Irish whisky, and their 15 year old is excellent, so I'd anticipate this would also be a great choice for any Irish whiskey lovers

Elijah Craig Small Batch 12 year old Bourbon ($30USD). Less expensive but still a good bourbon

Nikka's Yoichi or Miyagkyo (both about $80USD). Japanese whiskies are very good, and their prices have been rising remarkably. Good price for excellent blended whisky

Presents for yourself or someone you're really trying to impress (or a boss holding your annual bonus hostage...):

Aberlour A'Bunadh Cask Strength (59.6%, a real punch in the mouth, but the good kind, only $70USD). As an alternative, their 12 year old Double Cask is more civilized, and also a great choice ($55USD, available at BevMo and similar spots). If anyone has one of these A'Bunadh bottles clogging up the spirits shelf, please forward it to me and I'll protect it for you...

Woodford Reserve Master's Collection ($100USD)

Templeton Rye Whiskey ($150USD)

Whistle Pig Boss Hog ($299USD) if you really need to impress an American whiskey aficionado.

No matter what you get, anyone who collects and drinks will appreciate that you went beyond the labels everyone knows to get something special. There are also some other great choices on this list and elsewhere. No matter what, have a great Christmas and holiday season.

Bob H

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Well I took stock of my Single Malt stock and noticed a few empty bottles... went hunting and unfortunately the recent price spikes and lack of availability will keep me from replacing two really good ones, Macallan 1974 & Port Ellen 1982.

I did though pick up a 25yr Glenfarclas and my all time favorite Balvenie 21yr Portwood. Never really got into the burning building heavy peat outside of the Islay Malt.

14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have an empty bottle of Port Ellen. Thought they closed? Would love to find a bottle.
    I have that 21 yr Balvenie and can't seem to open it.
    And I love the peaty ones out of Islay. Ardbeg 10 is one of our favorites. Love the greenish color.

15. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The 21yr Balvenie is a great dram with little drama, doesn't need a real occasion and can be had as an after dinner desert.

Been looking around and can only find 1983 Port Ellen and that was they yr they closed up shop. Pricing ranges from $700 and on up into the thousands.. depending on the bottler. The whiskey exchange is a good place to look. I found my bottle of Port Ellen on a trip to St. John back in 2004, cost me a whopping $40!

16. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Haven't been around here for quite a while.

At the moment I'm enjoying an Aberlour 12 yr and when that is finished there is a Bowmore 12 yr waiting.

The 2016 Cairdes is still untouched :p

Good to read all your preferences, hope to try some of them.

17. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #692 sharknose67, Mar 4, 2017
  18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    laphroaig four oak is awesome

19. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    #694 sharknose67, Mar 15, 2017
  20. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    #695 Nader, Mar 15, 2017
  21. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is a lot of Blue!

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    #697 PureEuroM3, Mar 16, 2017
    I waited till i got home but i agree.

23. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Blue Label is the Lexus of Scotch.

Absolutely perfect.

And absolutely characterless.

Give me an aircooled 911 or a crusty Laphroaig.

24. Yellow Compass

Yellow Compass F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 23, 2015
    NYC Area
    Full Name:
    Yellow Compass Supercars
    #699 Yellow Compass, Mar 16, 2017
  25. sharknose67

sharknose67 Formula 3

Dec 31, 2007
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Are you going to open that one, or is it an investment??