scotch suggestion | Page 3 | FerrariChat

scotch suggestion

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by EDWARD C., Dec 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Cask scotches come in all different alcohol volumes as they are simply undiluted. Some of them aren't much higher than 80 or 86 proof. Acquired taste, perhaps to a beginner, but better overall in the long run, IMO.

Just a cap of water is all you need... ;)

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Also known as a splash...

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ive never seen cask strenght stuff on the store shelf. How would one get it?

4. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    They sell it at Total Wine.

5. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    You might have without knowing it. Look for these brands at a better liquor store:

Cadenheads
    Murray McDavid
    Signatory
    Duncan Taylor & Co

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Ill look tonight!

7. Helios

Helios Karting

Dec 9, 2003
    Maryland
    I recommend Speyburn to anyone who wants a nice "everyday" Scotch.

It's a 10-year-old single malt that's light and drinkable but has enough complexity to make it interesting.

We can get it for about $24 at my favorite local place (Corridor in Laurel, MD)

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #58 Newman, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I found an old bottle of JW Red in the cupboard of the cottage. Turns out the bottle was there in 85 when the cottage was bought so I have no idea how old it really is. Im giving it a sample right now and I took this shot with my cell phone - forgive the quality. Its pretty good, check out the old lable. How old is red to begin with?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. drchako

drchako Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Palo Alto, CA
    Sorry, for digging up an old post. I bet I'm not the only F-chatter to refer to this post when shopping for scotch. I just signed up at BevMo here in California, and they have a pretty decent selection. I opted for a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or based on the recommendation from Scotty. I am not disappointed. $70.

-DrC

10. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #60 SefacHotRodder, Jun 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. larz1

larz1 Karting

Mar 4, 2010
    How "old" the scotch is ceases to matter once it leaves the cask and hits the bottle. Unlike most wines, "bottle time" adds nothing to whiskey...:( JW red is the bottom of JW's line and blended from whatever isn't selected to go on aging further. Tolerable, but never great. Then again neither is the Black...;)

Back to the original question, knowing the recipient makes picking a good scotch for gifting much easier. If you've never shared a dram with them it at least pays to sneak a peek in their liquor cabinet to give you a hint about their personal taste. If you see a bottle of MacAllan you might give the 15 yr Fine Oak a try as a safe bet with a refined finish. Just don't throw a bottle of Caol Ila at that guy though as all that peat might kill a heather lover;)
    If you see Islay malts on the shelf anything Laphroaig is safe, but the 1/4 cask may be a "treat" as it is a bit unique for some. Caol Ila IS a good choice for this guy...
    If you just don't know what they like, or if you see only blended whiskey in his cabinet, you might want to go with one of the double or triple wood offerings. A Balvenie double wood or portwood would be a special gift for a guy who usually drinks JW Red, Chivas, Dewars, etc...

12. larz1

larz1 Karting

Mar 4, 2010
    I just noticed something...
    Ice cubes floating in a glass of Oban 14...
    HERESY! :p ;)

13. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    I usually drink Glenlevit and Macallan, but last month I recieved a bottle of 18yr Balvenie Portwood. So delicious, I had to hide it from myself so I wouldnt drink it all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Feffman

Feffman Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 31, 2003
    Gateway To The West
    Full Name:
    Feff
    Edward C:

Gave our president, an avid scotch guy, a bottle of Lagvulin for Christmas last year. He was over the moon thankful and it was only $90.

Feff

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That's funny! I particularly liked Torn, Roller Coaster, Fasten Your Kilt, Scott-ish, and Stage Fright. :)

A mixture between Smores and Fasten Your Kilt is probably pretty close to my own reaction on the first taste. :p Unfortunately, the nose now reminds me of solvents I've used in the laboratory, which doesn't particularly make me want to drink it. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

17. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I love Balvenie Double-Wood. Not only do I think the name is mirthful in an entirely immature way, the whisky is so delicious I feel like pouring over ice cream and making a float.

The nose is what makes it, IMHO.

18. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm much more of a fan of non-peaty malts. By all accounts of peat fans, it's a fine malt - it's just not for me. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

19. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree, not a huge fan of peaty scotch. I'll still drink it in an emergency though ;)

20. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    My birthday was last month and my wife took me to a scotch tasting dinner. We sampled about 10 different scotches. Cragganmore 12 was extremely delightful.

21. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Buying either a bottle of Glen Garioch or Glenmorangie tomorrow. Which one do you all recommend?

22. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm afraid I don't know Glen Garioch, but Glenmorangie make some fine whisky. I like their Quinta Ruban (12 years old, port casks). :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

23. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you like a sweeter scotch you should also try Dalwhinnie. :)

24. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I like almost all of the Macallan line, but I also enjoy almost anything Glenmorrange. Has anyone tried the Macallan Cask Strength? It is an ender to the evening...very smooth...very strong and will definately pack a punch. Much stronger alcohol percentage than any other scotch I have ever tasted.

25. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Many many times...

Springbank and Dailuaine being the next level....