scotch suggestion | Page 5 | FerrariChat

scotch suggestion

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by EDWARD C., Dec 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Was given a bottle of Macallan 18 as an early Christmas present last night.

2. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    That was a very nice early Christmas gift. I received a bottle of The Dalmore 15 Year as an early Christmas gift from a business associate. I have not tried it before and I wondered if anyone has had this single malt.

3. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I know it's a little OT but can anyone recommend a good on-line retailer to buy Scotch? I'm interested in buying a few bottles from the year I was born (1973) :)

Thanks!

4. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    in Australia Cardhu is banned,was my fav,but its not a single malt,its a blend.A very nice drink in a nice style bottle.
    I prefer the Irish whiskeys over Scotch,I drink neat Bushmills 10yo but i have a couple of bottles of 21 yo malt,best whiskey in the world period.

5. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Yes and no on the Cardhu single malt question. It is still produced and distributed as a Single Malt if you buy the Cardhu Single Malt; however, the distillery also produces a product called Cardhu Pure Malt. The labels are very similar and often cause confusion in the marketplace. I hope the insertion of the "pure malts" does not lead to the eventual downfall of the single malt scotch.

6. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    #106 Arvin Grajau, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is the one thats banned,I must have about the last bottle in OZ,still a very nice drink.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    That is supposed to be the single malt. Hopefully you will enjoy it in good health. Any idea why it was banned? We were not able to get it here in the states for several years, but I am not sure why. We used to pick it up when we visited Grand Cayman if there was any to be had at the duty free shops.

8. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    I drank it often,loved the bottle and cork ect,then it was taken of the shelfs,I asked why and was told it was advertised as a single malt,but infact it was a blend.

9. Blue@Heart

Blue@Heart F1 Rookie

Jun 20, 2006
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Full Name:
    David
    Hey folks!

I'm looking for a some scotch recommendations, I polished off a couple bottles and I'm not sure where to go next. I'd characterize my palate as firmly in the beginner category. I've only been enjoying scotch for a year or two now.

Bottles I've tried:
    Glenfiddich 15 - I like this, tends to be my goto scotch. Nice, smooth, not exceptionally bold in any area, just a nice smooth dram with a hint of oak.

Balvenie Doublewood 12 - LOVED this. But also felt that it was a niche dram. I had it a longish while ago but I remember it being the equivalent of whisky candy.

JW Black - I've had a bottle of this for quite a while now (yes I know it's a blend, some ******* drank my balvenie 12 and replaced it with this :mad: ). Anyways I hate it, it tastes like swill. Peaty, smoky and generally harsh in every way. It just drinks like I should be slamming shots of it, not a smooth gentlemans drink at all.

Glenmorangie Nector d'or - I thought this was ok...not bad, not great. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but I have nothing bad to say about it either. I didn't really get any kind of oak or peat aroma off it, and that kinda dissapointed me.

Ardberg 10 - I JUST bought this and I've only had one dram of it. I wasn't quite expecting the peaty smoke that it exuded. I didn't really enjoy the first couple sips, but the longer I let it sit on the palette and let the flavours develop and come out the more I found myself enjoying it. Especially as I neared the end of the dram. I can see this growing on me.

Oban 14 - Tried this on Darth's recommendation. I liked it, I still have the bottle around. While not a massive favourite of mine I'm certainly enjoying it and wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

I'm looking for bottles iin a similar price range to the stuff I've bought, and I hope my notes help with what I like don't like. Thanks guys :D

10. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Talister from the island of Skye,is smokey.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've got a bottle of JW Gold Label Centenary Blend for my 40th. Not much of a scotch drinker, but it's my buddy's birthday tonight so we'll crack it open to night :)

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Auchentoshan Three Wood is also a "Whisky Candy". It tastes like liquid Christmas pudding and is very smooth. However, it's about £40 (~$65) per bottle directly at the distillery with a "locals discount", so I unfortunately I don't think it will be cheap if you are able to get it in the States at all. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The standard Auchentoshan 11 has been in and out of Trader Joe's inventory for many years.

Blue, FWIW, Costco rebottles Macallen 15 as Kirkland from time to time and sells it in the range you're looking for.

14. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    So what do you boys drink your aged malts with coke and ice? or pepsi and lemon?

15. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    aussies

16. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    just wondering,I had a partner many years ago,bog Irish,made sh.. load of money next moment throughout Melbourne's bars he is known as the JW black drinker with Coke.
    latter on he does time like about 5 years for embezzlement of about 5 million dollars,a'int no JW black in the can.

17. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    OK, I'm going to have to hit you with my Auchentoshan passion again. ;) :D

I don't know if I'd call the Auchentoshan 11 a "standard" whisky, as they kept varying the casks used each time they set out to make a new vintage - so the production process was not standardised for a consistent product. Sometimes they used sherry casks (e.g. 1998) or sometimes Bordeaux (e.g. 1999) so it really was pot luck as to what you would get as a consumer when trying to order an 11 year old Auchentoshan - you had to remember the year if you wanted the same whisky again. I liked the 1998 but wasn't greatly enthused by the 1999. :eek:

Anyway, this has been discontinued and was replaced with the Auchentoshan Select (aged 10 years, standardised production process), before that was replaced with Auchentoshan Classic (aged 7-10 years, standardised production process). The different vintages for the 11 year old Auchentoshans have almost become special/limited editions in that they are in dwindling numbers, but to be honest aren't outstanding whiskies that really justify the elevating prices for me.

Currently, this is the Auchentoshan "standard" range (disclosure: I've given you my own personal tasting notes and they're a little different from those of the distillery, so click on the links to see what they say about them):
    • Auchentoshan Classic: can be thought of as a 10 year old, but they don't put any age claims on the bottle as sometimes they bottle early - as soon as the master distiller feels that it has achieved sufficient quality. Can be aged anywhere from 7-10 years depending on the year of bottling, but is a single malt and not a blend. It's ok, with some citrus notes to the taste, but the nose and finish aren't really memorable - so for me it isn't a whisky I would recommend.
    • Auchentoshan 12-year old: great oaky nose, with flavours of toffee/honey and a hint of nuts, finish is delicately nutty/oaky. This is only a little more expensive than the classic and a vastly superior whisky, so it makes the Classic rather superfluous for me. I recommend you get a bottle of this, it's an amazing whisky, Auchentoshan's biggest seller by volume, and it is by far my personal favourite.
    • Auchentoshan 18-year old: smoother than 12-year old, but doesn't have as nice a flavour so it just doesn't do it for me. Nutty nose, but lacking in the oakiness of the 12-year old. Finish is smooth but not memorable. It's more expensive than the 12-year old and simply not as good a whisky, so I'd say skip this one.
    • Auchentoshan 21-year old: extremely smooth, but you're starting to hit the point of diminishing returns for value for money. Vanilla/oak nose, sweet honey flavour, and oak finish. Lots of other complex very subtle stuff going on with the flavours, but I didn't drink enough of it to really describe it fully. It is three times more expensive than the 12-year old and while this both is a fine whisky and a better whisky, it just isn't three times better than the 12-year old.
    • Auchentoshan Three Wood: very sweet, like drinking liquid Christmas pudding - would be nice after a dessert on special occasions. A very seasonal (winter/Christmas) whisky. Very smooth, nose is sugary dark fruits (plums, blackberries, raisins), taste is honey / maple syrup / golden syrup / caramel, and finish is very warming with a subtle hint of oak. It is important to note that this isn't a blended whisky, it is physically removed from one type of barrel after a few years and moved along to the next type.

In order of my personal preference (if I was buying for myself), then I'd list them:
    1. Auchentoshan 12-year old
    2. Auchentoshan Three Wood
    3. Auchentoshan 21-year old
    4. Auchentoshan Classic
    5. Auchentoshan 18-year old

If you equalise/disregard the cost of purchase, then I'd rate them thus:
    1. Auchentoshan 21-year old / Auchentoshan 12-year old
    2. Auchentoshan Three Wood
    3. Auchentoshan 18-year old
    4. Auchentoshan Classic

Even then, while I would rate the 21 and 12 year old equally at the top, I do so for different reasons. The 12-year old has the boldest flavour for me, and the 21-year old is the most smooth and complex. I think, on balance, I would still choose the 12-year old over the 21 as I simply really enjoy it but it would be a close-run thing.

As it is, all bottles are not priced equally and the 12-year old is by far the best buy of anything Auchentoshan make - they actually refer to it around here as a "breakfast whisky" as it is easily drinkable and part of a balanced diet for Lowland living Scots. ;) I'd say that's followed closely by the Three Wood as a great deal, as this is a very exotic tasting dessert-like whisky, and is something that is generally drank in the depths of winter as a special treat.

OK, and that's me done with my Auchentoshan pontifications again for the next couple of months. :D

As usual, I must say that I'm not actually an employee at Auchentoshan, but they are my local distillery and my favourite... I've actually been on the tour so many times the staff at the distillery have started to recognise me, give me free passes to bring guests along, and asked me to comparatively rate their tour guides. :eek:

All the best,
    Andrew.

18. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #118 8-Ball, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Minor edit ;) It's also a pretty darn good whisky. 18yr old is worth the extra over the 10yr old, if you can find it.

I'm currently enjoying sipping some Singleton.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    You can have all those vintage Scotch wiskey.Give me a bottle of Bushmills any day of the week.
    LOL,the Scot's of conned all you blokes re there Scotch's.

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I gave one of these as a gift to an atty friend once and it was VERY well received.

We popped it and I realized why. Damn good for the $$.

21. NeuroBeaker

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

22. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Here's one for you guys.

As some of you know, Balvenie Doublewood is my "go to," dram; it's one I always keep at home and order about half the time when I'm out.

Last night, at my favourite watering hole, I ordered a DW and the bartender opened a fresh bottle. It was so off profile, it was total crap. It was "bready" tasting and hot, with none of the subtle sweetness I'm used to. Almost tasted like a badly made rye whiskey. About two shades darker than usual, too.

I told the barman to sample it with the next scotch drinker that came through, just to check if I was having an off night. I'll be curious to hear his report.

I expect some variability, bottle to bottle, but imagine my dismay to find my favourite drink nearly undrinkable.

23. Vicente

Vicente Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2006
    This past week I tasted:

Isle of Jura 10.
    Glenmorangie 10.
    Laphroaig 10.
    Ardbeg Uigeadail.
    Oban 14.
    Lagavulin 16.

I particularly enjoyed the Lagavulin and Ardbeg. The Laphroaig 10 was good as well, I'd definitely give the 18 a chance. The way I'm doing it is that I'll try the 10 or 12 and if I generally enjoy it I'll buy the 16 or 18.

As a side note, when out with friends I rarely find single malts at bars or clubs so blends will do. If they don't have JWGold I'll go for JWBlue. Yesterday they didn't have either so I had JWBlack. A while ago I used to find it okay, then I barely found it tolerable but not anymore. I'm never ordering that again, I didn't enjoy it at all.

I'll add the Talisker 18 to the list, I'm out of Talisker 10 and it is one of my must haves.

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I'm still very much a whisky novice but it sounds as though you like the Doublewood as much as I do :) Have you tried Clynelish 14? If not, I'd suggest picking up a bottle...it's a slighty smoky and sweet scotch. It's a little more expensive than Balvenie but it's worth it!

25. RVL Saratoga

RVL Saratoga Formula 3

Aug 27, 2010
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I remember really liking the Clynelish, but it has been a few years since I sampled it. Have to give it another go.

Having a short sip of Glenrothes 1988 before heading out for the evening..