Scottsdale concours: why were Ferraris so much more rare models than Maseratis? | FerrariChat

Scottsdale concours: why were Ferraris so much more rare models than Maseratis?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by bitzman, Jan 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In the Ferraris shown there,at the Arizona Biltmore they were all what I would call "one offs" or extra special in some way, Pebble Beach quality cars by virtue of rare body style, racing history, etc.
    But in the Maseratis shown there, there were several what I would call "street cars" that were mass produced, so I thought it was an uneven contest (except for the Maserati single seater race car) that the Maseratis came off as "poor relatives." Was this because the Maserati owners in the SW could come up with cars as significant as the Ferraris?

By the way enjoyed the lesser brands like OSCA MT4, Nardi, etc. that had fantastic craftsmanship even though they were originally marketed as sort of mini-Ferraris

2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    I think it was the nature of the Vignale class. The Maseratis that Vignale built came in the 1960s and were production cars (3500 GT Spider and Sebrings (3!)), while the Ferraris that Vignale bodied were built in the early 1950s when almost all Ferraris were coach built (225 Export, 250 Europa, and 212 MM).

My pictures from the event are up on Flickr at
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/photosbyjohnwiley/albums/72157677770517801
    I haven't gotten to posting the Maseratis but they'll be up by tomorrow.

There is a 1951 Maserati A6G Vignale that is a one-off, but I think that car is in Japan.

The Vignale bodied OSCA MT4 Berlinetta was cool!

3. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    I think you are right that the vast majority of Vignale Maserati were 1960s production cars (3500 GT Spyder, Sebring, Mexico and Indy), with only a few specials and one-offs built in the 1950s and 1960s: a few 3500 Spyder prototypes, the Vignale built (Michelotti-designed) 5000GT (VIN 103.016), and two A6s, of which the most spectacular - a A6GCS Spyder - no longer exists AFAK.