Scottsdale? Fun place to visit? | FerrariChat

Scottsdale? Fun place to visit?

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by Murcielago_Boy, Dec 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Ok, so I'm doing my annual exploratory tour of the US. I've never been to Scottsdale (or indeed Arizona).

Questions are:
    1. Should I visit?
    2. Is it a fun/party place?
    3. Is there something to do on a weekday? Bars/places to hang out which have lots of people about? Or is it a place which only comes alive on a weekend?
    4. I've heard rumours about it being snooty and rude (like Dallas, which I actually found to be very friendly).

Can someone fill me in?

BTW, I'm a single guy going with a group of other single guys but this is no frat party/tour - sadly, we're well past that age wise.

Also - I'm not looking for any CAR related activities at all....

2. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    What time of year are you planning on visiting? There are lots of events during the nice weather months.

At the end of January/early Feb we have the FBR Open (formerly called the Phoenix Open). It is labeled as the greatest party on grass, or something like that. Great golf, and even better people watching and partying.

March is a great time because the weather is fantastic and it is also Spring Training for Baseball. Lots of teams practice out here and getting tickets to games is pretty easy.

There is an area called Old Town Scottsdale that is packed with bars and nightlife. I haven't been down there on a week night, but the weekends are always pretty good.

Snotty/Rude... I think people could run into that just about anywhere in the country. Yeah, I've heard Scottsdale is like that, but I think it just depends on the people that you are with.

What types of things are you looking to do?

3. Murcielago_Boy

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    hahaha! Perfect.
    I'm going last week of Jan through to second week of Feb! So i think it may be perfect timing.
    My idea of having a great time is sipping a drink in a bar packed full of friendly outgoing people, in place I've never been, having a laugh and a joke with them.
    Weekend I KNOW will be fun... just need to get a fix on whether the weekdays are good too?

4. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Well then, the timing works out.

Looks like I forgot that they changed the name of the event. It is actually the Waste Management Open. I know, it is a crappy name... I would think that I remember the name since my office is inside of the security perimeter that they set up every year.

Here is the link to the schedule of events: CALENDAR OF EVENTS | WM Phoenix Open Golf Tournament

The Birds Nest is going to be the big party every night. Tickets are available in advance.

Ticket info: TICKETS | WM Phoenix Open Golf Tournament

Keep in mind, the golf course is about 15-20 minutes from Old Town (where all of the bars are located) so pick your place to stay accordingly.

5. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    There's a trolley that runs through downtown scottsdale and north up scottsdale road. It stops at, or near most of the resorts on Scottsdale road. I believe it goes to the golf tournament during that event. It's pretty handy and if I recall, it's free.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    #6 Ingenere, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you are making the trip to Arizona, you owe it to yourself to get in a hire car and do a little touring. You can find bars anywhere. There is only one place for...

Grand Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Monument Valley, Tombstone, Rt 66...

Coming from the UK, the scenery is a gorgeous contrast of vast open spaces.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Murcielago_Boy

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Fantastic.
    Thank you for all the suggestions gents. Do please keep them coming.

8. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    #8 AZ-Giallo, Dec 19, 2013
    If you have time and transportation then I agree with Dino...those locations AND Sedona is less than two hours away...the most beautiful spot on earth.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    #9 Dr.B, Dec 20, 2013
  10. Braces

Braces Karting

Mar 24, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    What's a boys trip without golf? Check out Troon North, Boulders Resort, Grayhawk, We-Ka-Pa, Kierland. Tons of good golf.

11. Bigwavedave

Bigwavedave Karting

Sep 28, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

12. dozzina

dozzina F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2005
    In a vortex
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There's about 200 golf courses in the greater metro Phoenix area, so shouldn't be hard to do if that's what you want to do.

I second the idea of getting out and seeing the west, whatever that means to you. Lots of beautiful scenery, hiking, biking, horseback riding, hot-air ballooning, jeep trails, ghost towns, Indian ruins, etc. etc. Good winter weather means you can get out and enjoy it. Heck, rent a Harley or go skydiving. You can always party in Scottsdale Fri/Sat night (Axis/Radius, Martini Ranch...) but I can't imagine it's much different than any other high-end party town.