Scottsdale Recommendation | FerrariChat

Scottsdale Recommendation

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by Drive550PFB, Dec 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Can anyone recommend a great cigar lounge in Scottsdale? Looking for smoking on site, TVs, drinks. (Not necessarily food.)

Thanks in advance.

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My favorite place - hands down - is the Royal Palms. Bring your stogie (or buy one there if they still sell them), grab your favorite beverage in the bar, and then walk right out the door into the gardens and courtyards. There are many spots around the property that are special to hang out and do what you are describing. I don't love the courtyard literally right out the bar door, its not the best...there are fires here and there throughout the property too. You can choose from remote, quiet, private setting if you wander, or near the large firepit out front of the restaurant, or near the fountains. Can't go wrong. Great great place (T Cooks is pretty good too if you get hungry).

Next up (haven't been in years, so not sure its still happening) is Casablana Rooftop Lounge. Great spot for a stogie and beverage.

Lower end place is nearby (not really recommended, but its there) is Scallywags in old town.

Drive550PFB likes this.
  3. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Thank you very much.

I have a day to kill and need good places.

4. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    happy to help. Royal Palms is a very special place, especially after dark when lit up and fires crackling.

Let me know if you have any other open meals etc that you need advice for, always happy to try to help out.

5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Bumping to post something I wrote for a member here that asked me via PM for some Scottsdale Food recs...This thread came up in a search as the best place to park this info in case anyone searches for it in the future. I figured since I took the time to write it up in the PM, I'd share it here too. The PM requested non-expensive places, and thus I omitted any steak houses (there are plenty of those of course) or special occasion places (same). This list is focused on (1) "interesting" places, and (2) those few places in PHX metro that have "worldclass" food in their respective genre, and finally (3) a few places that are "must do" prototypical scottsdale outdoor dining options. Oh, I gotta add, I haven't been to a couple of these since covid, so hopefully none got shuttered due to that...

These are the best of the best from my list...letting me know what you thought after you go is mandatory, even if you disagree with my take!

(we don't live in Scottsdale any more since 2019, but we go to visit every 6 months or so and I make sure to hit most of these places every time we are down there)

These places are "okay" food, but very worth the trip for the overall interesting experience:
    Authentic, decent, but fun, interesting Dim Sum = Mekong Palace (there might be two non-asians in the place at any time, go check out the grocery market afterwards!)
    Authentic, decent, interesting soul food = Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe (be patient and laugh at the service)
    Very authentic, rough, awesome mexican = Carolinas (only the one on 1202 E Mohave S and only if you get the potato/chorizo burrito and beef fried tacos)
    Great, worldclass, authentic tacos = Tacos El chino (try all of the meats, they have some rarely seen ones and they are outstanding)
    Fun, good fish and shrimp tacos = Two Hippies Tacos (its an institution. Try to go early or later, but not right at noon as the local HS kids overwhelm the place)

These places have *great* food, as good as anywhere in the USA for what they do, and good overall experience:
    Fantastic, very authentic Italian "Deli" (really a restaurant) = Andreoli. Great pasta, great pannini. Cool place.
    Great (as in as good as any in Texas) BBQ = Little Miss BBQ (either location)
    Very high quality and yummy poke type bowls and more = Chula Seafood (either location)
    Arguably the best pizza in the country = Pizzeria Bianco (either location, but you have to order the "rosas" pizza.)

These are a few "nicer" recommendations outdoor Scottsdale experience dining:
    Nicer, amazing, must do, outside dining = Olive and Ivy (only outside) Try the veal ravioli - which is the opposite of what you expect, its light and yummy.
    Best brunch = El Chorro (very cool Scottsdale experience, frankly a must-do if you want to sit outside for brunch)
    Best "new age" mexican = The Mission in Old Town Scottsdale (go for a drink even if you don't eat there...but I would eat there!)