Scraping/Painting the mesh like exhaust grill 308 GT4 | FerrariChat

Scraping/Painting the mesh like exhaust grill 308 GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by JG333SP, Oct 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I'm sure somebody else has done this and I can't find a thread on it.

I'm going to scrape off the old paint that's peeling off and sand the rust off then paint it matte black again-any ideas on paint? That's a bad area for rust so I'm kind of leaning towards rust oleum matte black-it can't be any worse than what's on there now

I've had the car for years and thought I would paint it by now and I was going to tackle that at the same time

2. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I think that’s basically the paint that I used. I did it a long time ago, so don’t remember exactly, but whatever it was, I picked it up at Home Depot. I looked great when I finished. Good luck with the job. It takes some time to get the old stuff off- I used a wire brush attached to a drill, which worked ok, just took time.

3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Good idea on the wire brush and the drill. That's exactly what I love about Fchat

I'm going to probably paint it again when I finally paint this car-which I've been threatening to do for 8 yrs! A one-off will at least stop the rust for now

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I would try VHT hi temp engine paint. Used it on a muffler 10 years ago and still looks good.

5. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Please take a look at the thread "Rear Diffuser question" in the 308/328 forum started by scudF1 on Sep. 12, 2015. I used the suggested Thermo-Tec #12001 Black High Heat Coating on my 308's exhaust cover ($17.25/can on Amazon) and it came out excellent.

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    use a paint stripper. the rustoleum oil flat is a dead match to the chassis. not sure about temp

7. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    VHT Hi Temp paint for sure, I believe it's called brake caliper paint. Regular spray paint will fail rather quickly.