scratch built Mazzer roadster | Page 18 | FerrariChat

scratch built Mazzer roadster

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wildegroot, Jan 13, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    Since we are eager to start building the next car, it is entirely understandable that it will be built to spec by whoever decides they want one of their own! We'd be very happy to start building anew, using different specifications. 2 years to build another, better car.

2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    You are extremely talented!! Curious to know how the doors open? They look to drop down and forward. Just awesome.

3. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thank you but most of us are good at some things and awful at other things. Me too.

Each door has only one hinge but otherwise they're fairly conventional. They just swing forward in the horizontal plane to open. The doors are fairly light since they're made of sheet aluminum with minimal steel tube bracing and the single hinge on each door is about 7 inches wide. I don't think there is much sag when they open.

4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. I agree on the talent in certain areas. But to build a car like that shows some serious design and mechanical insight. How does it drive? Don't remember reading much on that part.

5. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Here's the flack. I own a car with wire wheels and they're a pain in the arse to maintain and they carry pathetic skinny tires. I'll be happy to build a car for you with a set of Borranis on it though. This car is not a replica of an old car but rather a new car with retro styling features. It has modern tires, modern brakes, an all synchro transmission with integral over-drive, power steering, modern race seats & belts and a comfortable MOMO steering wheel that allows me to place my hands at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock, the way I like.

I had the wheels custom made by HRE to hold some beefy modern rubber and chose the spoke design I did because to me it's at least representational of traditional cross-laced wire wheels. The HREs cost a bundle so I'm a little sensitive about the criticism (you're not alone).

6. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Well - I pushed for the blue and it does look nice. Just too many red wannabes out there. I love the wheels and I think you got the right "nod" to the old design cues while making no bones this is more modern muscle. Nice balance in design. Once you have driven it for a while then you should tell us what works better than other things. Nice to see it all come together and waiting for the video shot of it being used with purpose. Ciao

7. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    If you saw the pictures of my son Alex driving it, you would assume the car was running but it's not. The blue roadster was being towed back to the trailer on a skinny rope by me in my 308. We just ran out of time before the show, which was our self imposed deadline. Two nights before the show we got the engine installed and one night before the show we had the drive-shaft made and installed. Last night I was making a heater hose fitting so we can put coolant in the engine. I still have to hook up all the wiring, hoses and gauges to the engine, make up a throttle cable, etc, etc. I'm going to get nickel & dimed by all the details but hopefully she'll be drivable soon.

8. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thank you. Your vote for blue and the votes of a few others definitely closed the deal. I already had blue racing seats and blue leather for the interior so I decided we might as well go with the blue theme whole-hog. All the various blue parts don't really match but it doesn't matter. The exterior and interior paint is all the same blue but doesn't seem to match in photos.

Yes, I'm looking forward to driving the car and I will certainly post about it.

9. matumorales

matumorales Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2011
    Asunción, Paraguay
    Full Name:
    Daniel Morales
    I've just found this thread and read it completely! Congratulations on such a well conducted project!! People like you are such an inspiration to us all!!

Do you have pictures of your beauty in action? Please, do post them!!

10. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thank you for the compliment and for the interest. I will post pictures when it's running. Unfortunately I've been pulled away from the project momentarily by the realities of the real world (work, family, etc) hopefully I'll be back hot and heavy on the car soon to put it on the road.

11. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    I think Sandy means to say that she has a long list of chores and projects for Wil to catch up on around the house. ;)

12. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    :D

Truthfully, I just want him to get his E-type off the blocks
    (for me!)

13. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    Finally on the road! We got temporary tags and took the Mazzer for a couple spins round the block yesterday. Still need to tune the DCNF carbs, knock the rust off the rotors and sort Wil's picky list of last minute items. I can tell you this car is fun and worth the journey.

Here's a video our son Sam took. There are a few wacky frames from the automatic hand-held camera shake correction by Youtube but you get the idea:

http://youtu.be/pZQsWl7OVqU

14. William Abraham

William Abraham Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    William Abraham
    Looking too cool for school!!

15. SandydeG

SandydeG Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2011
    Milford, NJ
    Full Name:
    Sandy de Groot
    ...we'll be taking a more professional video, when the carbs are tuned and the front spoiler is back on the car! Yesterday we got the temp plates and insurance and positively COULD NOT WAIT to get in the car and go. Believe me, this bit of video by our son is historically sweet for us but in no way relays how much fun it is to blast down the road in that blue car. Totally cool ride!

16. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Awesome Journey!

Thank you both for sharing!!!!!!

Ciao,
    George

17. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    What a great moment, congratulations!

18. 2mnyToys

2mnyToys Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    +1

19. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks guys. Still working on it. Last night I got the front turn signals and parking lights wired and working. The headlights aren't wired yet but I have no plans to drive the car at night. Too many deer around here. I've hit over a dozen through the years.

Tomorrow I'm driving the car to a show for the first time. This morning I was busy installing a fire extinguisher. Funny, I never thought about an extinguisher until the first road test and we started smelling burning paint and chemicals. That's normal on a "new" car but it did make me think "Oh sh-t, I have no extinguisher with me if something happens!".

I've been so busy trying to get this car on the road before winter hits, in the little free time I have, that I didn't really get around to posting here. I'll put up some photos soon.

The car still needs tuning and what the British call fettling but "right out of the box" the car ran pretty well and it went down the road nice and straight. We weighed the car and with a half tank of fuel and all other fluids filled to spec, the car weighs 2630 lbs. I had hoped to keep it closer to 2,000 lbs but I added insulation and upholstery, interior door panels, fiberglass lining inside the fenders (wings) to protect the aluminum skin from rocks thrown up from the tires, etc, etc, and it all added up.

Speaking of weight: I don't have the notes with me but the front to rear weight distribution in within a few percent with a slight front weight bias and the corner weights were very close, side to side, with a driver in the car. We didn't bother making any adjustments.

The clutch pedal is pretty stiff. I should change to a smaller master cylinder but it's OK for now. The car stops fairly well at legal speeds. We need to play with brake bias, which is adjustable front to rear, and I should probably reduce the brake master cylinder sizes.

There are some strange noises coming from the car (pulsing singing noises) while driving that may be coming from Tremec-5-speed. The trans was bought new about 15 years ago and for all I know it got rusty inside, sitting on the shelf. It could be the diff too. I'll have to monitor the situation.

Wind turbulence inside the cockpit, at legal speeds is, amazingly, not bad at all. I have a lot of living with and finding out to do with this car.

We've already dragged my old E-Type Jaguar out of storage and cleaned out the spider webs and mouse nests in preparation for putting it back on the road but I can't tell that story here.

20. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
  21. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Very cool Wil!

22. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Well done, Wil!

Having seen your car in person I can testify that it is executed to the highest standards. The video tells the story well. You must post some more photos of the whole car.

Overall, a great project.

23. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Thanks for the nice feed-back guys and for all the encouragement over the course of this long project. I'll post some photos soon.

24. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Congrats on a great job you must feel proud.

25. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    #450 velocetwo, Oct 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not all Borrani's are skinny these are used on the rear of a Bizzarrini
    Image Unavailable, Please Login