Scud Ing Swiss F1 Pump Relay for 599 | FerrariChat

Scud Ing Swiss F1 Pump Relay for 599

Discussion in '612/599' started by George Vosburgh, Jan 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Anyone have any experience with this product?

2. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Doesn’t answer your question, but there’s loads of experience with this over on the 360/420 forum.

I’ve no personal experience, but I gather the reviews are generally, though certainly not universally, positive.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Yes, the reviews are very good but what about on the 599? In all the years the 599 has been around no one has done this upgrade? Maybe the OEM relay is better than the 360 and the 430.

4. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi George,I installed one on my 2007 599.Despite what I have seen posted there is no way to expect a difference in shifting.I put it in as a reliability hedge. Solid state vs conventional relay. Easy install and has worked as expected. I keep the old one in the trunk as a spare. Good luck,Mike

of2worlds likes this.
  5. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

That's great, thanks Mike!

6. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    The F1 pump relay (part 233100) is common to 430’s, 612’s and 599’s. The whole F1 system is more or less shared between these models. No reason to believe the performance/behaviour would be different on 599 to 430.

7. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

In checking out the differences between the Scud Ing Swiss unit and the OEM part, it's clear that the Scud Ing Swiss unit is much more advanced with no moving parts so all the bumps in the road will not effect the unit at all. I think I'm sold!

brogenville and of2worlds like this.
  8. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    is there a link to this product and will it work on an early 599?

Jim

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- There is quite a difference in F430 and 599 pump performance requirements since the F1 pump in the F430 also powers the E-Diff.

George- There are two versions of the Scud Ing relay, one with diagnostics and one without. If I were making the change, I would go for the one without diagnostics just as a reliability upgrade. Not that I have read too much about 599 F1 relays failing. They were basically 3rd generation relays. The 30 amp ones in the early 360, CS, and 575M were known to fry, so they were replaced with 50 amp units in November 2003. Those did not have any problems until the early F430s with F1 and E-Diff using the same relay.

Jim- It is just a relay and should work on Motronic 7.3.1 (360/CS), 7.1.1 (575M, early 599 and 612), and 7.3.2 (later 599 and 612).

10. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Yes, thanks Terry that's the one I ordered. There is only one model for 599, with two versions one with the monitor and one without. I don't need to monitor the F1 pump so I got the basic.

11. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Fair point Taz- the 430 has the e-diff, so the duty cycle on the F1 pump might be a bit higher than on 599. The pump itself is the same part though (248083), so the peak current will be the same. My point is that the experiences of the 430 guys with the scud-ing relay are a very good proxy for what you might expect on a 599.

For my own part, when I took the F1 pump relay out of my car, there was charring on the terminals- this wee guy was clearly doing a lot of work. Given the cost of the standard relay (£4.95 on eurospares), it’s probably not a bad idea for any owner to keep a spare one handy, or to replace them every 5 years or so. A solid state relay is undoubtedly an improvement on the standard one, but you can proactively replace the standard relay a good many times for the cost of a scud-ing relay. Just sayin’ ...

George Vosburgh likes this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Robin- Mine has an upgraded 30 amp relay that is pretty bulletproof. And I have a lower end spare

Affirmative, same pump in the F430 and 599, the F430 pump just has to work harder. The only complaints about the Scud relay have related to the diagnostics beeping and bothering the owners. That can be turned off, but actually no need for the diagnostics that I can see. There have been a couple of failures, and when that happens, just like with most solid state stuff, the F1 system shuts down completely.

George- Good choice. Let us know what your old one's condition is.

George Vosburgh and brogenville like this.
  13. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Yes, bought and installed one on my 599 about 2 years ago. I agree that the only "problem" would be the beeping as it goes about its' business, but , as mentioned , it can be turned off. As for the diagnostic aspect, I guess you only need it when something goes wrong. It works perfectly, and as it replaces a relay with a solid state component 10yrs more advanced, I considered it a worthwhile upgrade . I'm sure the Scud ING product description can give far more detail as to the benefits to the F1 pump system. As with their other products, I find they are well designed to address problems that exist in the OEM components in our cars.

Makuono likes this.
  14. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

The beeping is in the Type 2 relay with monitor, yes?

15. Mor

Mor Karting

Oct 14, 2017
    I also have one scud Ing installed. First I had a few (often) problems that the relay didn’t turning on pump. The scud Ing changed this one with the new one. After that the new one sometimes doesn’t start too. This is not often but if happened, I need to turn off all power in car (in trunk) and start again. Ones it happened after I drove out gas station so I left with 1 engaged And without clutch (f1 pump shut down). So sometimes there is a problem that the relay doesn’t stand up after you open a car and start it. I just often drive this car so it sometimes happen.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą FerrariChat

16. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Yes, That's correct