SCUD pricing guide | Page 7 | FerrariChat

SCUD pricing guide

Discussion in '360/430' started by RichardCH, Aug 18, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Almost every 2009 for sale currently has a asking price over 200k. Many 2008's are below 200k.

2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    That's why they are still for sale.

3. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    eh, it just takes a lot of getting used to. Took awhile but I can pretty much drive it like any other car now, as far as the clutch goes. Of course you can't creep up a hill like any old car but it just means you have to be aggressive. When you have no worries about jumping out to make a left turn you've figured the clutch out.

4. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    The carbon package (rear diffuser, headlight housing, door sills, front spoiler) is standard in the 2009 Scuderia. It is standard on very late 2008 Scuderia, and optional in the majority of the 2008 that came to U.S. (250 units per Ferrari HQ when I spoke to them, and double checked with a magazine published number).

The carbon package makes the Scuderia 30 lbs lighter. Better look and better performance for about the same money on the used market. To reproduce the carbon package with factory parts takes $22k plus labor.

5. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    Here is an article from a friend. He is campaigning a 2011 GT3 Cup this season, and he has driven many flavors of Porsches.

Porsche 997 GT2 (530Hp) vs. 2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia (503Hp)

The Porsche is on wider tires and a higher grip compound.

Be your own judge.

http://axisofoversteer.blogspot.com/2010/10/axis-of-power-porsche-997-gt2-vs.html

6. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    #156 Mattyrae, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
    I have seen that article and the videos before, but thank you for posting. The one I have coming is a 996, not a 997.1, but I bet a 10k suspension upgrade with corner balance, 10k in hp tuning, and 80 lbs. in weight reduction with seats and battery alone would keep it competitive with a Scuderia.

Anyway Scuds are becoming very attractive options for future Ferrari owners, and current owners wanting to upgrade.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hmmm....just when I start looking at the CS, I see this car. Mileage doesn't concern me. Not looking for yellow, but why not. Know the dealer/GM?

8. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    I do not know anyone there. It does have leather, which would be an add. Probably doesn't have the US carbon package, 20k deduct. It would be a pretty great deal if it is up to current service standards, had it's 15k service, and maybe a new clutch. If it needs a new clutch soon then subtract 5k, tires?, subtract another 1750-2k. Can't tell from the photos whether or not it has a clear bra. Usually you can't see small rock chips from photos.

9. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Wait 2 or 3 more months

10. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Did you look at it before posting this? Sure looks like it has the carbon package...

What do you think the 15k service includes beyond an annual service on an F430?

Have you seen the clutch readout? I'd suggest anyone looking get the clutch readout rather than say "it would be a pretty good deal IF...[it has gotten] maybe a new clutch"

Sorry, I just think your comments are out of the air, rather than thoughtful help to any purchaser.

A better post would have been:

Its got the carbon package, that's a plus (was an $XXk option)

As usual check service history and clutch wear. (always understand where all consumables are at in their life - fluids/filster, belts (if applicable, not here of course), tires, clutch, brakes).

To just throw out there that it might be a good buy after deducting $20k for carbon (or whatever you meant by that erroneous comment) and IF 15k service is done (whatever that is) and IF "maybe a new clutch" without knowing anything about the clutch wear could confuse and mislead readers. Just my opinion, trying to keep these sorts of posts informative/accurate and not erroneous and potentialy neededlessly misleading.

11. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    It is a 2008 car and it doesn't have the carbon package. I think the right price is $160k given mileage and options. Good value. 14k miles is nothing for these cars, these engines are good for a lifetime. Check how many here have had their F430 engines rebuilt? almost none.

If anybody is interested in this car, get a PPI and check for clutch wear and CCB rotors wear. The clutch is cheap on this car. The brakes not so much.

This same 2008 Scuderia with a carbon package (30 lbs lighter and better looking) would fetch another $10k, for a $175k asking and $170k closing. If the car had around 5,000 miles it would fetch close to $185k, with less than 1,000 miles anywhere from $190k to $195k, a 2009 would fetch another $10k for a $205k average with less than 1,000 miles.

Then there are other factors such as colors and additional options that can move prices up or down. Given the small number of Scuderia in U.S. (250 2008, and an unknown to me number of 2009 that might be somewhere around the 2008 numbers, rather than the 99 supposed to come that year) and the variety of options, almost every car is close to unique, so buyers spending this money will go for the car they want with the options they want.

The Scuderia is in my experience one of the most reliable cars I have driven in a long time, and most owners won't put them to the use I give to mine, so this is a trouble free, great road car, plenty capable at the track, well built, with many high quality standard equipment. You need to check the carbon fiber panels on the doors to appreciate the level of details put into this car.

Talking about how capable it is at the track, last week a Viper ACR set the fastest Nurburgring lap time record for a street car at 7:12, about 32 secs faster per lap than the Scuderia, a lot you would think. I have been at the track with a 2010 Viper ACR on even stickier tires (Hoosiers) driven by an instructor at Sebring, my fist time at the track, he was lapping this 4 miles track just 3 secs faster than me in the Scuderia, I have a video somewhere in my youtube. He could not pass me on the straights, as the Scuderia was building a gap on the Viper.

Properly tuned (suspension and brakes) the Scuderia becomes a really fast track car, and it doesn't lose its great road manners.

How good it is at the track? I went to Palm Beach International Raceway (PBIR) a few months ago, first time ever at the track, running with NASA-Florida. On my 4th session, I dumped my passenger, went out and came short by a few tenths of a second to set a lap time faster than the track record for all the NASA Time Trial classes, a 1:25 on my 2 years old tires. My data shows the car as capable of a 1:23.7 that day on the old tires, and still learning the track.

12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    It seems to me that whilst love with a CS happens immediately, with a SCUD its a longer bonding process, only aftr 9 months and some mods can I appreciate it, but steering rack and 60 MS gearbox are to to die for, once you get the SCUD sound right

13. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Might want to take your own advice there buddy.

14. F430GT

F430GT Formula 3

Sep 29, 2005
    Marco Island, FL
    ...and I agree with you. One thing I didn't like in the Scuderia was the exhaust sound, this thing that sounds like two 1989 Honda Civic engines with no mufflers running at the same time, it is that bad I think.

Whereas the Challenge Stradale has this nice pitch and musical sound that it is to die for.

However, once I put the Capristo headers in my Scuderia about 4 months ago, the car just got an aural sound that I cannot describe in words. The sound is so good that I find myself driving more often at higher RPM to enjoy it, it is that good.

I still have some gripes with the stock muffler due to its excessive weight and not refined sound, but the Capristo Scuderia system (from what I'm only missing mufflers and sport cats) will surely solve this. This is the next step.

I have tested 8 different exhaust configurations in my Scuderia (actually 9 if I count running with the valves disconnected). I found the best quality sound to come from a system that lost performance on the dyno. So far, the stock cats and mufflers with the capristo headers have given me the best results, without having to do any remap of the ECUs.

A Scuderia with the proper exhaust is to die for. The performance of this car is barely matched by any other Ferrari, essentially the F458, 599 GTO and Scuderia are on the same ballpark, with the Scuderia being the most racy of them all. Just minor setup adjustments reveal the Scuderia potential. I have track data from 3 different U.S. tracks and at the 3 places it is among the fastest street legal cars. The tracks: California Speedway, Sebring and PBIR.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    #166 ylshih, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
    I thought his post was pertinent. There are at least 3 things in your own post that I think are overstated or inaccurate. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, but stating things as fact when they are not, harms serious buyers AND sellers.

16. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    #167 Mattyrae, Sep 17, 2011
    I have seen many cars with 10k miles go through a clutch, so a cheaper car that will need a new clutch would add to the total cost, was all I was saying. What are the savings on a used Scuderia without the Carbon package vs. one with? 10k to 20k? I don't know for sure. The car almost has 15k miles, so if it already had that service would be better for the buyer correct? He stated the car had the Carbon package, but doesn't. My post was very accurate, just needed some clarification for all to understand, some didn't.

100's of "out of the air" posts are made here every day, classifying my opinion on the yellow Scuderia as such is silly. Also modifying or cutting out parts of someone's post and then saying it's misleading is hilarious.

17. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    When are you going to be able to afford an F Chat membership? Or are you waiting for that price to come down too?

18. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    #169 Mattyrae, Sep 17, 2011
    When you stop bugging me about it? Many don't, you could pick on them? BTW, when are you going to quit being cheap and upgrade to "Rosso Subscribed?"

19. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    +1 LMAO!!!!

20. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    When do you guys think I can trade my POS for a scud? Straight across trade

21. NathanBennett

NathanBennett Karting

Apr 10, 2011
    Ouachita Mountains
    Full Name:
    Nathan Bennett
    Good post. Very informative.

22. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If I'm cheap what does that make you? Broke?

23. Mattyrae

Mattyrae Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 17, 2011
    Absolutely after buying 4 cars in one year, things are kinda tight. Maybe you could spot a fellow Ferrari owner a $20 so I can get a 1/4 tank of gas or maybe a membership.

24. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are you a moocher too?