Scud steering wheel on stock F430: LED's work! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Scud steering wheel on stock F430: LED's work!

Discussion in '360/430' started by Stevely, Oct 2, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    #26 Russell996, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Both the Scud wheel pictures for sale are the same wheel so the same wheel is on eBay.

Probably co-incidence but Scud wheels are usually alcantara at the bottom, mine was a special order with leather and then additionally the lower stitching was changed from red to yellow by a local saddle repairer - this one looks to have leather lower half and yellow stitching (could be white?). Also I changed the manettino sticker using one supplied by MaCarbon from Scud version to standard 430 version (different settings) - again this wheel looks to have the same change. I sold mine back in January in the UK but I know it wasn't fitted by the guy who purchased it. Probably coincidence but just to confirm LED's on mine didn't work on my manual 430 or an F1 version that the dealer tried it on.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Stevely, could you be do kind as to check with your tech the details of the conversion? Was there any reflash done? Any special wiring loom needed? Any special tools to remove the wheel? Many questions, apologies in advance. Some claim it's not plug and play. You seem to have gotten it done with ease. Was it because a specific steering wheel model used that works with an 05 F1?

Thanks mate.

3. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA

I watched the entire process. While it could be done, you would need special tools and the know how, because it's not that straight forward if you haven't done it yourself before. Even after watching my mechanic pull the old wheel off and put the new one on, I don't think I would even try because of the fear that I'd mess it up. Plus he owns an SD3 to diagnose and clear any codes if for whatever reason something came up. The one tool that I had never seen had a torx head with a center button. Also, the main center bolt holding the steering wheel would probably require a special tool as well. He used a special head on the end of a power drill like device for that. One thing that he pointed out was that the airbag sensor/position HAS to be replaced in the exact position it was removed or it will throw an error code and not function properly.

To answer your questions, there was no reflash done and no special wiring. Not sure if the wheel was a special model, but it doesn't look special or modified in any way. It was sold as an OEM Scud wheel. The install was literally plug and play. I saw it with my own eyes. That's why I was skeptical even AFTER it was installed because it was just too easy. When he turned on the car and I didn't see the lights come on at first (I guess I missed the startup light-up), I was bummed. Then he asked if he could rev the engine and I said sure. When I saw the led's light up when he rev'ed, that was awesome.

So the entire process (from my fuzzy memory) was as follows: He killed the electrical system using the lever in the front hood and under the left kick panel. He took the rubber stoppers off the back of the steering wheel. He unscrewed the two torx screws in the back. I think at this point, the airbag popped out. He unplugged the airbag. Unscrewed the center bolt. Unplugged the red plug? (not sure about which cords he plugged and unplugged). Put the scud wheel on. Replugged both cords. Screwed in the center bolt and the two torx screws. Put the rubber plugs back in. Turned the electrical system back on. At this point I prayed. He turned the car on and wahlah, it worked.

4. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks for the headsup Russ. What you've said is making me think hard before embarking on this mod. I don't believe in luck in such cases. If it works, it should work for all.

5. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    I agree. The hit or miss nature is concerning. It's strange that some people have said that it doesn't work on theirs so that was the whole reason for my post. To show my one outlier, that it can work for whatever reason, be it dumb luck or untapped capability. That is why I documented everything as thoroughly as I could. I had the opportunity and a money back guarantee from my seller so for me, it was somewhat of a low risk buy despite knowing that 90% it probably wouldn't work.

Good luck with yours.

6. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thanks Stevely for sharing this project with us and giving us normal beings hope that this could be possible. I will get my hands on a Scuderia steering wheel and post when its fitted, regardless of it being successful or not. So the rest if you do not want to take the risk, wait 2 weeks, 3 weeks max and I'll have an answer. This time I'm going DIY so it's gonna be the HARD TRUTH! LOL. Wish me luck.

7. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Scud steering on route to my grubby hands. Looks like installation will happen mid next week. Stay tuned.

If it doesn't work, Stevely, you owe me a keg of beer. LOL.

8. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Hahaha. And if it works? Can u send me a scud front bumper .... Or your other capistro exhaust? Good luck!

9. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Damn...me and my big mouth.

10. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    Just wondering if a 599 steering can fit the 430. The traction control settings are the same as a 430 if I'm not mistaken?

11. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    U wanna try? What about the Cali steering wheel? Same too?

12. RO1

RO1 Karting

Jan 6, 2005
    The California has steering LEDs as well? but iirc the manettino switch settings are different. I'm really curious if the 599 with the similar mannetino switch positions to the 430 will fit... If I can convince my 599 friend to let me experiment I may well try it out.

Let me know how you get on with the scud steering swap...

13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    I sure will. Hoping it lands early part of the week and get it fitted by end of the week.

14. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Whilst I did point out that the Scud wheel wouldn't work correctly in my manual 430 I can confirm it is easy to swop manettino's between old and new wheel if you need to. Remove the manettino switch with Allen key, carefully peel of the manettino sticker, underneath you can then access the nut to hold the manettino in place. MaCarbon can supply spare stickers if needed. This might allow wheels from Cali and 599 to be used even if the manettino is different. Might be a bit of trial and error!

15. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    As I wrote in the other shift light thread, don't sell your F430 steering wheel. You'll have the swap the wheel node ECU to have a chance to make it working with your F430 ;) Can't wait for your feedback ;)

16. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Stefvan, I'm not sure where you got your info or if you're just trying to sell a shift light product, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. No wheel node ECU was ever changed on my Scud wheel. I watched the entire install process. I have no reason to lie about my steering wheel. Please don't mislead others on this board.

17. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Relax fellas. Thanks for the advice and assurance. I'll proceed with caution. Just need the courier service to deliver the wheel.

18. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Bad news. Fitted the scud steering wheel but it didn't work. When I turn the ignition to the on position, e row of LEDs on the steering wheel lights up for a brief moment. There after, they do not light up anymore. Could there be two versions of scuderia wheels coz mine does not give me any issue wi the mannetino position? It's exactly the same as per my 430 wheel.

19. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    Sorry mate to hear that but honestly I'm not surprised from what I've been studying on this matter. The only chance to make it working would have been by swapping the wheel node ECU's on both steering wheels. Did your tech tried that?

But even with swapped ECU's it isn't guaranteed it's going to work. It all depends on how the shift light is operating (directly on the Can bus or using a pulse signal from the wheel node). If one day I have a Scud steering wheel on my bench, it will be relatively easy to figure out.

20. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    It's fine. I went head in this project with a 30% success expectation so this is pretty much what I expected. The steering wheel works, don't get me wrong. The mannetino works perfectly. It's just that the wheel is not displaying revs. The LEDs light up though but that only means the LEDs are receiving voltage.

Whats this wheel node ecu? I can do that myself can't I? Where do I find that ecu?

The swap process was really simple. There's only the torx secure bit T25 and the center bolt can be released using a standard socket set wrench. No need for any special bolt to release the wheel.

21. pmotoring

pmotoring Formula Junior

May 8, 2009
    HONG KONG
    Full Name:
    PAT PAT
    #46 pmotoring, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
    Stef,

Will the LEDs work on the M/T f430

You must try out as your next DIY project.

22. Stevely

Stevely Formula Junior

Jul 21, 2011
    LA, CA
    Sorry to hear that it didn't work. That's so strange. Maybe the previous owner of my wheel tweaked it somehow. I bough mine from the North American distributor of capistro and he said he's made it work on other f430's as well. His tech seemed to know his stuff. Maybe you can give him a call.

23. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    The wheel node ecu is inside the steering wheel right behind the manetino. You have to remove the steering wheel to gain access to it. If you still have your stock F430 steering wheel, you can see a kind of box behind the manetino. It is there where the ecu is located. This ecu has 8 pins :
    01 B CAN-A
    02 B CAN-B
    03 Ground
    04 +15
    05 Horn
    06 Alternator warning light
    07 N/A
    08 Start-up repetition prevention

24. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Stef, how is my 430 wheel node ecu different in pins as compared to the scud wheel node ecu?

25. SfefVan

SfefVan Guest

Nov 28, 2008
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Stef
    #50 SfefVan, Oct 18, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
    That's exactly what I don't know;) I don't have a Scud wheel node Ecu so I can't compare. But there must be an Ecu difference as the Scud manetinno is sending different values on the Can bus. The only way to know is to study carefully both wheels in terms of wiring, what signals the shift light is using and the logics of the Ecu.