430 - Scud to Speciale? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

430 Scud to Speciale?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MaranelloDave, May 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am concerned about sound. As the years go by I find that the sound is more and more important. It adds to the drama in a way that’s different to overstate. The scud with an x-pipe at full chat is really something. I wonder about all of these electric sports cars of the near future. Sure, they’ll be fast, but without the sound it just won’t be the same.

ZA3879 and rennspeed like this.
  2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Very good point

3. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I had a CS parallel to the Scud for almost half a year. 9/10 times I went for the Scud keys, but that takes nothing away from the CS because if I could've had my way back then, I would've kept both; one to drive, one to look at.

For me the driving experience was redundant and the slower gearbox on the CS really comes to bear during regular driving, unless you keep doin a fast & furious at every stop light and keep them RPMs a roarin lol which admittedly I used to do all the time, but ya that gets tiresome after awhile. On the track (the 1/10 times I went for the CS keys) is where you get to really enjoy CS' light steering rack and more inherent over-steeriness. But once you dial in a few things on the Scud (like toe, camber and alignment) the balance is really close and with more power. For me, I think Ferrari really nailed it with the SuperFast F1 single clutch gearbox in the Scud, it's really a sweet balance between outright speed of shifts and visceral feedback...not too fast, but not klunky either. Once I experienced that, I just couldn't go back to the CS. But I have a soft spot for the CS, it was my first Ferrari and even today, I still really enjoy looking at it and the thrills it gave me from some of its more eccentric quirks e.g. brakes don't bite until you get a good amount of heat into them, and I remember taking a few backroad twisties once upon a time and almost sh*t my pants.

I think that's the key difference between CS-Scuderia vs Scuderia-Speciale. Between the CS-Scud the main attractions aren't lost in translation and if you had either you're experiencing a pretty similar and spectacular event.

If performance is your one and only motivation, then obviously the latest and greatest will always be choice. Scuds aren't the fastest things, but unlike the CS, it still delivers contemporary, competitive levels of performance even today 10 years on so in my personal opinion a nice blend of performance and racecar feels.

f355spider, Shark01 and PVEferrari like this.
  4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Great insight and much appreciated. I owned my CS for three years before I ever got it on back twisties. It was my eureka moment. Such a fun car. Not too fast and not too slow for real life public roads. I don’t find the gear box clunky as long as you manually blip the throttle on downshifts. The skill it takes to do this makes the gear box special in my opinion.

FORZA 62 likes this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I speak relatively! :) For me, once I felt that f1 superfast gearbox it was hard to go back...the kick to the head upshifts, canon pop downshifts, it’s the biggest addiction for me, trumped only by the s-line f1 shrill of an exhaust note as you climb the rev band.

@MaranelloDave the sound hierarchy for me if it’s stock for stock I rate:
    CS > Scud > Spec

If modded:
    Scud (S-line) > CS (Tubi) > Spec (F1)

Pista can’t play this sound game, from the outside it just sounds like utter sh*t imho; but it actually sounds decent from inside the cabin...I feel like there is some harmonic trickery at play. As I watch it whizz by on the track all I hear is massive turbo whistling, but when I was inside the car it sounded really different? I personally don’t appreciate that gimmick...

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is something that always amazes me. Yes, there are modern cars that are faster but, generally speaking, the scud is still a "fast car" in 2019, over a decade after its release. Not many cars you can say that about!

7. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    ShineKen and plastique999 like this.
  8. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thanks dude!
    In a nutshell, the Scud is raw and we all tout the magnificence of the 60 ms gearshift bangs to the kidneys. Top down, I can “feel” the exhaust note of the F1 S line exhaust.
    The Speciale is crisper and sharper than the Scud. DCT is more refined but still appreciative in its swift gear changes. Steering sharper. A bit more comfortable.
    All the talk about sound is rubbish. You just have to find the exhaust note that suits you, mine is full IPE setup headers back. It’s musical Nirvana.
    Which would I choose? Had to keep both, but twist my arm...today, maybe the Speciale by a razor’s edge...tomorrow may be the 16M

Sent from my 16M

9. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I'll help make this call easier for you, 16M or Aperta =X

Bolded and even underlined it out just in case it wasn't easy enough...

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    SA would be bliss....and I looked for a long time. But thinking long and hard about it, I couldn’t justify double the $ of a coupe - unless I was going to strictly keep it as a collector and keep low miles on it.
    Thing is, I drive my cars....so it’s easy to pick up the keys to my S and drive away and enjoy it. 19k miles on my 16M.
    The choice now I would choose for that much coin would be a 599 GTO....awaiting to see how market softens this year if any. I need a NAV12 F car!

Sent from my 16M