Scuderia Ferrari 2022 | Page 64 | FerrariChat

Scuderia Ferrari 2022

Discussion in 'F1' started by jpalmito, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    kes7u likes this.
  2. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    crinoid likes this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Binotto told Italian press yesterday that they run the power unit detuned from Bahreïn to Abu Dhabi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Giuliano Duchessa

@GiulyDuchessa

Nella consueta call Ferrari nel dopo gara, Binotto ha confermato che dal Bahrein ad Abu Dhabi è stato necessario abbassare la potenza PU

ingegnere likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, for reliability purposes.

5. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    I am surprised that no one has posted this.

Final year-end driver's points:

Charles Leclerc had 308.

Carlos Sainz had 246.

Both numeric totals are historic Ferrari model lines - Quite the unintentional coincidence!

DM

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would like to see Charles with 458;)

Senad and ingegnere like this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

375+ and ingegnere like this.
  8. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Max at 454. Chevy beats Ferrari.

I imagine @SS454 approves. ;)

9. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    Word is out that Simone Resta is returning to Ferrari to become technical director.

If that is in fact true and will be his position, then Binotto is out. That means he won't be leading the technical department or the management side.

Giallo 550 and Bas like this.
  10. SS454

SS454 Formula 3

Oct 28, 2021
    Full Name:
    Chris S
    :eek:

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ferrari-outlines-where-it-lost-f1-development-war-against-red-bull/10403599/

Ferrari outlines where it lost F1 development war against Red Bull
    Ferrari thinks it lost the Formula 1 development war against Red Bull this year because it faced a more complicated task in improving its car.

By:Jonathan Noble
    Nov 22, 2022, 10:16 AM
    The Maranello-based squad started the 2022 campaign as the team to beat, with Charles Leclerc winning two of the opening three grands prix of the season with the F1-75.

However, Red Bull quickly bounced back from its difficult start to bring rapid performance improvements to its RB18 that eventually helped Max Verstappen seize control of the drivers' championship.

The Dutchman, who clinched the crown at the Japanese Grand Prix, would end up winning a record 15 races by the end of the season.

Reflecting on why Red Bull was able to make better gains throughout the year, Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto thinks it was the result of the two teams focusing on completely different areas for improvement.

And he suggests that Red Bull's chief attack on shedding weight from its car, which started the year too heavy, was much easier to bear fruit than Ferrari's need to deliver aerodynamic gains.

"I think there have been a few factors," said Binotto, when asked by Autosport about why Red Bull's development was stronger over the course of 2022.

"The first I think that, in terms of development, Red Bull had a clear route, which was reducing the weight of the car. This was not our case.

"They knew what [they needed] to tackle to get performance out of the car itself. For us it was more complicated because it was really through aero developments and trying to improve the car from the concept and the aero point of view.

"Also, I think if I look back, maybe the development we did was not certainly sufficient. We stopped very early; not only for a choice but because of expenditure reasons. But there are some things that we need to review."

Ferrari revealed recently that work on its 2022 car stopped several weeks ago because the team had hit the limit with its cost cap spending for the year.

Binotto said how successful Ferrari was in dividing its resources between this year and next can only be judged based on the success of its 2023 challenger.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sergio Perez, Red Bull Racing RB18, Charles Leclerc, Ferrari F1-75

Photo by: Glenn Dunbar / Motorsport Images

"Have we made the right choice by stopping so early, in terms of priority between 2022 and '23? I don't know," he said.

"I think only 2023 can tell us what has been the right choice or not. More than that, maybe we could have done a better and proper development of the car, within what we did. And that is something which we need to review.

"But I think the main reason is Red Bull got a clear path, which was the weight reduction. I think it was more straightforward extracting performance from the car itself."

While Ferrari was disappointed to have not made more of a fight of this year's championship against Red Bull, Binotto says he does take encouragement from the fact that his team remained battling at the front for the entire season.

"I think what was important for us was to be back to be competitive, and that was for us really the objective," he said.

"For me, fighting for a good position at the 22nd race, is the best result, because it means that we have been competitive not only at the very start where we had a very strong car.

"No one would have expected it. But we kept on fighting during the season itself and up to the end.

"We had some ups and downs. There have been races where we have not been good enough, and we will review it. But I think more than P2 and P2 [in the drivers' and constructors' championship], what is important for me is the fact that, at the 22nd race, we were still fighting for good positions."

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    And teh diference in speed between them is about the same between a 308 and a 246!

Giallo 550 and jcurry like this.
  13. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hey Binotto how about reducing the weight of the F1-75 so it doen't eat tires every race!

classic308 likes this.
  14. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Binotto is an idiot...he talks like a salesman, not like a leader of an F1 team.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But The Mayor keeps saying "A Dino is not a Ferrari, its Better"........

16. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    So basically clueless as to a development direction or creative accounting.

17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mattia Binotto is leaving Ferrari. Official confirmation shortly.

classic308, sp1der and Senad like this.
  19. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ciao,, attenzione Che non te sbatte la porta in culo!

Temerian, classic308 and Bas like this.
  20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Whilst it creates instability there was simply no ambition to improve.

Bas likes this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    For me when he correctly got critisized for how the season went before the summer break, instead of finding a solution to the problem (accept a deputy alongside him), Binotto failed to acknowledge any faults and was extremely bullish, saying they would win the remaining 10 GP's. He didn't even manage 10 podiums between 2 cars.

Ferrari brass should've intervened during the summer break and at least installed a deputy who could identify what went wrong so often, what can be changed...so we could hit the ground running in 2023. Now the new TP will have to see how it goes on the fly.

Another year lost.

22. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Instability is always negative.
    Ferrari should have learned this from Mercedes and RB.

william and Thomas S. like this.
  23. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    #1598 Kimi2007, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    Instability is preferred to known incompetency and chaos every single time.

Binotto had zero control of Ferrari. None. His leadership was an absolute cluster****. Constantly throwing away race wins, bad at politics, horrible reliability, refusal to institute team orders, ****ty car development in season, and of course the "strategy" team that was a traveling circus.

Dude proudly wore clown shoes. He should've been gone after the Hungarian GP fiasco. While I don't like to celebrate anybody getting fired, this was a no brainer.

fil, Bas and ingegnere like this.
  24. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Without knowing how he was handling these issues behind the scenes it’s hard to assess his culpability… but on the surface, yeah, sounds like cluster****.

Still, I don’t think Vasseur is the answer. We need a Horner or similar.

Senad and Thomas S. like this.
  25. Kimi2007

Kimi2007 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2022
    Full Name:
    Patrick James
    The canary was Simone Resta being recalled to be technical director. That told us Ferrari knew Binotto would no longer have those duties.

So, in theory Ferrari are going to have Vasseur as team principle, who is close to Leclerc and will move to give him priority in development and strategy calls. Simone Resta, who was the brains behind the SF70H design will become technical director, and Ruth Buscombe will likely replace Rueda as head strategist.

Who knows what the on track performance will be, but it certainly can get much worse than the circus we've been watching.

fil and Bas like this.