Sculpture: Does the material matter to you as to how much it is coveted? | FerrariChat

Sculpture: Does the material matter to you as to how much it is coveted?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by bitzman, Oct 11, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I have been a longtime fan of Richard Pietruska's sculptures. On some he has a fabulous metal finish. Or maybe it's an added patina. There's always the problem of doing without the wheels but I agree with him wheels are a distraction to the whole shape of the car. But my question is: on his website , he identifies one of the materials as fiberglass in some of them. Ideally it would see an all metal casting as the most ideal, as far as invulnerable to weather (though why anyone would put it outdoors mystifies me). But though I want to try to make a sculpture, I can't afford the lost wax casting process but would merely like to add a metal patina to fiberglass. I have seen a product made of powdered metal that wold do that. My question is, would the audience accept that, or do most sculptor buyers (all ten of you) prefer metal?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Personally, I like not only the feel and heft of metal, but the longevity that such a material bestows. My father had a bronze foundry and he cast many interesting pieces. The one that I treasure the most is this one:

This is a full size bust in bronze. It weighs in at over 100 lbs. If it isn't melted down by some future society (or nuclear mishap), it could still be around in 10,000 years. Louis Mayer is the artist and my father cast a series from the original wax. I think there may be 5 others but am not sure.

If this thread is supposed to be about car sculptures, please delete my post.

3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I like bronze. I have three of Larry Braun’s and wish I had more.

4. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
  5. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck

Beautiful! And I really like that table/stand you have it placed on, which is perfect for that piece.

EastMemphis likes this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    +1:)!

EastMemphis likes this.
  7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Metal will always reign supreme IMO.

The only reasons most go a different route is expense and time. With todays technology you could model something similar to Richard’s work in 3d and then print it. My resin printer yields forms ready for OEM paint overnight while I sleep. Of course you can faux finish a patina or bronze effect on the very same print.

Ultimately as an artist you have to decide if you want to sacrifice your craft to make something more affordable and faster. If you think your clients won’t mind then go for it. In today’s market it’s very difficult to sell bronze, stainless, etc. I’ve also been looking into alternatives as metal costs right now or 3-4 times as much as usual.

Jack-the-lad, Lusso123 and jm2 like this.
  8. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I am glad for the answers as the question is broader than cars as subjects--I like the fact a bronze casting could last 10,000 years. I just can't embrace fiberglass--it's so temporary.

HotShoe likes this.
  9. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    To be fair fiberglass when done correctly will last a very long time too. Just look at all the fiberglass cars and boats that are still around from decades ago.

In the end it just comes down to personal preference and cost.

Lusso123, jm2 and Rosey like this.