SD2 Alternative for DIY use? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SD2 Alternative for DIY use?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by KILOCHARLIE, Jul 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Cables can be re made, power supply issues and some screen issues now on the older SD tools. Dave on the service end of SDX, one owner of a tool told me his experience first hand so I can only go by that and what other business associates have told me.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Nick - I'm in the same boat. I know of one tech who has the SDX and I know he is very detailed. I've not heard the feedback directly from him - I've heard it from a mutual friend who is also a pro tech. So, that's all I know aside from Brian's post in this thread that he likes it.

My SD2 only came with a cig lighter power supply. I had to figure out the proper supply and I got one from Amazon for less than 20 bucks.

3. ke0kie

ke0kie Rookie

Jul 26, 2007
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott Jones
    Autel MaxiSys Pro MS908P I hear can calibrate a new 360 clutch with F1 system, are you familiar with this diagnostic tool?

Here is a demonstration of this tool:

Can it do everything SD2 can do, is viable option for DIY 360 owner needing access to entire 360 system, for various service, specific Ferrari things?

Cheers?

Scott

4. muratokcu

muratokcu Rookie

Jan 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    murat okcuoglu
    I have the Autel MS906TS
    was $1.5k on amazon, it does a lot but no PIS. it does shift learning, A/C, airbags etc. I understand 360 does not have PIS anyway?
    it is not an SD2 substitute but handy for most jobs

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    All F1 Ferraris have a PIS.

6. SalemAloumi

SalemAloumi Rookie

Apr 4, 2015
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Salem A. AlOumi
    Any alternative for Sd2 or Sd3?

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Early 360 PIS was visible but not adjustable. You had to play around with the new closed clutch numbers to set a really nice bite point..but that would throw the clutch wear reading off. I think mid 2001 with the second generation TCU is when you could play with the PIS settings. 355 also from what I remember is also not adjustable.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Autel works pretty damn good on the 360 all the way up to the 458 including all the v12's up to the 812.

Lunch is also very good. The X431..

Amazon sells both.

As far as the early ISO cars 348 355 550 456 the best bet is a version of the Leonardo. I don't know of any aftermarket scanner that will work with say the 355 convertible top module other then the Leo.

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tom- Affirmative, they all have a PIS, but not all are adjustable using diagnostic tools.