Searching for history of Dino 246 GTS - chassis 06716 - UK reg POB222M | FerrariChat

Searching for history of Dino 246 GTS - chassis 06716 - UK reg POB222M

Discussion in '206/246' started by Escapist, Jan 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Bangkok, Cotswolds, Sitges, Dordogne
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hello everyone

I’m delighted to meet you all here and excited with my recent purchase of RHD POB222M in Grigio Met. With red/oxblood seats. Originally red / black.

The car is in excellent condition bar the missing toolkit etc taken by the last dealer but frustrating too is the missing history, particularly early history. It’s also missing the photo file of the restoration from late 90s by Nick Cartwright.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the car at any time? The registration of POB222M is original and it has matching numbers also original.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Welcome, nice car.

O6716, very close to my car 06866. - Look on the dino Register it has some interesting details for your car although it does state the car had wide fender arches and Daytona seats!

http://www.dinoregister.com/search.php?detailsearch=06716-1

Get in contact with tony willis, for a small fee he should be able to let you have the original Maranello file / info to help you develop the history.

3. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Congratulation with the new buy and welcome to the 246 section. Wonderful car and very nice color...-:).

Regards Peter

4. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    I can't help with the service history but the car was supplied new by Colmore Depot Ltd, 22 Hill Street, Birmingham B5 4AN in Rosso Chiaro 20-R-190 with Nero 161 vinyl interior. The owner who restored it to it's current level was a forum member (user name 246gts) but does not appear to have posted since 2016. Here is a thread he posted back in 2009 https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/beauty-and-the-beast.249798/#post-138794501

Here is the ad for the car when it was sold by 2BConsulting back in 2013 with all of the accessories still present http://www.2bc-automotive.com/FerrariDino.html It sadly looks like an intervening owner or dealer has eitheir mislaid or held onto these items. I remember looking around the car at the FOC concours that years when 2BConsulting entered it. It was missing the satin black paint around the shut lines of the front, engine and boot compartments and had red seatbelts which were not an original option.

5. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    As you probably know this car was owned by David Rochford between 1981 and 2008. Dave restored the car himself and it was in absolutely fantastic condition (this is long before concours Dinos were the norm). The car won many concours awards here in the UK in the late 90s/early 00s. I haven't spoken to Dave for many years, at least 10, but I am sure you will find more details with a little research. Maybe the UK FOC can help (I can put you in touch if you wish).

6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Paul.

As you already know, this car was a multiple concours entrant/winner.

My (incomplete) records of the UK FOC concours/national meet show that the car was entered as follows:

6 July 2003 at Boughton House, class number A4, mileage of 70325.
    28 June 2009 at Boughton House, class number H4, mileage 71900.
    14 July 2013 at Walton Hall, class number H1, mileage 73191.

I cannot say for certain that the car was at these events but it was entered. It could also have been at others that I do not have details of. You could try posting a request in the UK section as I am certain that someone there will have photos of the car and more information.

Robert

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Class winner in 1998. Class winner in 2001. Class and overall winner in 2003. Class winner in 2009.

Jonathan

8. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you everyone for your kind messages and all the information.

I have now sourced an original toolkit and jack thanks to Stuart Bitmead of SB Race Engineering (who is a great guy by the way if any of you want Dino or other classic / race Ferrari work done).

Best wishes to all.

9. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I
    have emailed Tony twice but no reply. Does anyone know if he’s away or general,y needs lots of prods? Thanks.

10. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Sadly I had news David Rochford who owned it and restored it passed away a couple of years ago. I’m still trying to make contact with his family as they apparently equally adored the Car or any other previous owners. Any suggestions welcome.

11. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Please do put me in touch. Yes, as per my previous post, sadly he passed away.

12. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you,

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I'd check the email used - either search here or google him or ask owners club to confirm

14. RochfordR

RochfordR Rookie

Jul 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rachel Rochford
    #14 RochfordR, Jun 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Hi Paul, I’ve just come across this post whilst looking for the current owner of the Dino. This was my dad’s (David Rochford) car until he sold it in 2012. I would be more than happy to send on some old photos or provide any info that we can on the history.
    Rachel

Escapist likes this.
  15. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Rachel
    Wow! That is so so cool... It is meant to be today as the car is just in the workshop at Carrs of Exeter being serviced. Let me try to PM you with my contact details so we can chat more. The previous owner lsot lots of documents so I'd love to see what you have. I love the car...

16. Escapist

Escapist Karting

Jan 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Can't find out how to PM you. Can you PM me?

17. RochfordR

RochfordR Rookie

Jul 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Rachel Rochford
    I can’t find an option to PM either, not sure if it’s my profile settings? I’ll see if I can change them somehow...

18. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hi Rachel (and Paul),
    On these pages, click on the bold-face/dark-blue/underlined username of the person you'd like to pm. Then, when the highlighted box pops up near the top of the page, click on the light-blue-lettered "Start a Conversation." That should open the 'PM' box.
    There's likely an easier way; this works for me.
    Cheers,
    Coop