Seat style selection for Cali-T | FerrariChat

Seat style selection for Cali-T

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by travellingbearsva, Dec 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. travellingbearsva

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 travellingbearsva, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    I recently traded-in my 2012 FF and will have a California-T for the future if all goes as planned. When running thru specs on California, the sales guy at FoW had suggested Kennede seats which are supposed to be more compliant/comfortable than standard offerings. I did have opportunity to sit in a Cali with these seats but it didn't have full electric (not the usual adjustment for side/back bolsters, etc) so uncertain if full electric option would influence firmness/comfort with mechanical arms under cushions.

Has anyone had Kennede seats in past or current vehicle and can provide feedback on their comfort? I'm probably 60-90 days from getting call from dealer for final order confirmation/deposit and don't want to make a mistake.

In the FF I found that the side bolsters had little if any expansion and pressed on my thighs. I could have considered having the mechanical adjustment from lower side bolsters removed and padding added, but I didn't want to change configuration of seats since I was ready to sell the FF. With next Ferrari, I was looking at options with better seat comfort. I'm 6'2" at 330 lbs so seat ergonomics are often a hassle when reviewing vehicles (e.g., dislike high/hard bolsters).

For those asking why I'd sold the FF and looking at Cali-T. Wife liked 2011 Maserati GT convertible which was sold to purchase FF. She never bonded with FF, so looking at convertible option again (e.g., the Cali-T) that we'd both utilize as second car for weekends, etc. Bought a 2015 Mercedes S63 AMG 4MATIC coupe to cover daily driving. The FF always seemed to have idiot lights (ECS failure, etc.) flashing and if it wasn't chained to battery tender it wouldn't behave so I got weary and sold it.

Thanks

Dave

2. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I do not know what the seats are you are reffering to. I got standard seats with the standard electric on mine, and its very comfortable.

3. travellingbearsva

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #3 travellingbearsva, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Royalpar1

The most obvious visual thing about Kennedee style seat is different stitch pattern. Currently Ferrari Of Washington (look at dealer site: Washington DC Ferrari dealer in Sterling Virginia - New and Used Ferrari dealership Silver Spring MD Arlington Rockville MD Virginia) has a white 2014 Cali with these seats (which was Cali that I sat in for comfort-fit check). Seat stitch pattern is basically a few 'x' in center of seat so not as visually exciting as standard, daytona, diamond-stitched or backbone styles seats. It's supposed to be a comfort/padding perk with curve in seat bottom as option to regular offerings (naturally at extra $5K). From what I could tell it's same basic dimensions as other seats (not change in sizing like S, M, L, XL race bucket seats). You don't see them as option in online configurator so folk may not be familiar with them. Sales guy mentioned as option since I've always groaned about lack of comfort in standard F-seats. I'm definitely more comfortable with Mercedes S-class seats which have a lot of padding for my broad ass and large thighs and was wondering why Ferrari didn't have a comfort seat option. I'm told that kennedee is it but looking for someone with first hand experience. Sitting for 15 minutes at dealership is different than multiple hours of daily driving.

Dave

4. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I think i have seen them, personally not for me, the standard seat, with ST2 is more my speed :)

5. caligirl

caligirl Rookie

Jan 28, 2012
    South FL
    I would think it all depends on your "dimensions" as to comfort. We had Daytona seats and now Backbone seats and both are comfortable but we're not big. I believe the Daytona seats feel a tad more cushioned. Although seats and interiors are clearly a matter of taste, they are a bit odd. Perhaps see how long it takes for FoW to sell this car as a litmus test.

6. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    If you're looking for comfort, the only seats I'd buy are racing seats. I had a 2010 California with daytonas and sold that for a 2012 458 spider with racing seats. There was just no comparison in comfort - the racing seats, for me, were far and away the most comfortable seats I've spent time in. I also don't let a bunch of people drive my F cars so I'm not worried about constantly changing seat position.

7. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Dave

My understanding and belief is that the Cali has only 2 different seat frames - the "standard" seat, which can be finished multiple ways, and the racing seat (CF frame).

The white car at FoW has that "tufted" (my word, unsure of official term) finish, but the same frame could have the Daytona, Diamond, backbone, et al finish.

Given your prior challenges with the lower bolsters on the FF, if these seats "work", chances are you would be fine with any of the different finish options. (recall, I am a former hooker, have an FF and have a wide pelvis as well, but FF works for me).

Something you can do now that you could not when you got your FF was to butt-check different seats, and also investigate what you can do extra-campionario. If you can get to NYC, set an appointment at the Atelier on Park Ave (ask for Jonathan or Francesca). They have all the seats there, plus they can likely evaluate what options you may have to actually adjust the padding/upholstery if that's possible (unsure). Another option would be to let FoW borrow that car for an extended test drive; even if you leave it in your garage and sit in it for 4 hours watching movies on your iPad, you'll have a sense if the seat/car will work.

8. travellingbearsva

Jul 22, 2012
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #8 travellingbearsva, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Entropy:

I agree that Kennedee seat is standard physical dimensions. Not certain if customization in leather stitch pattern is available (the standard 'x' pattern is boring when compared to other options) or options in padding configuration. I'd rather have diamond stitch on center cushion and door side panels. I'm at upper $260K range before tax with the Cali-T as spec'ed, so a few $K extra for additional specialization is minor in scheme of things.

I believe that the Cali at FoW is a consignment so I'd not expect to see option of 'try it' for a few hours since I wouldn't be serious purchaser for vehicle.

In my new 2015 Mercedes S63 AMG 4MATIC coupe, the bottom cushion is well padded (and no lower seat adjustment arms for bolsters) and only backrest has the tweaks (lumbar and side bolsters). That configuration would be ideal for me in Cali-T.

My wife may convince me to stop struggling to find a Ferrari to love and choose one of Mercedes GT-S models (but would need to wait a year or more for convertible release). The Mercedes GT would have better technology, comfort, not be glued to trickle charger and looks like it would be half price of the Cali-T models if the $130K range base is accurate. Bit more than SL but lot less than the outgoing SLS models.

Dave

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    There are many cars less expensive than a Cali which will do far more with greater technology. However........... ah a Ferrari is no Mercedes :)

10. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And Mercedes is no Ferrari.

11. Udaverea

Udaverea Formula 3

Jun 9, 2014
    Western Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Enthusiasts buy and enjoy Mercedes, but dream of Ferrari.

12. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I have not heard of the seat options you mentioned...

We have certainly loved our S550 so far. It is the best traveling machine I've ever ridden in. We have the four door and it is exceptional for conveying our elderly parents in comfort and ease!

John

13. HOBE456

HOBE456 Karting

Apr 27, 2012
    Hobe Sound, FL
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have "backbone Style Seats" on my T. They were an option front and back. Like um. With Alcantara seats inner trim.

14. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    I love the backbone seats. I have them front and back as well. Wish I saw more Ferraris with this option.