Seb out of SF for 2021 | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Seb out of SF for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    In fact, Fangio was more successful driving for Mercedes (8 wins out of 12 GPs), than Maserati (7 wins out of 19GPs).
    Myself, I tend to associate Fangio with Mercedes.

Nuvolari likes this.
  2. 11506apollo

11506apollo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2008
    Tx Co Ca
    william likes this.
  3. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
  4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    NAaaaaaaaawwwwww.Mega Ouch.
    My three less distinguished entries that I skipped comprised of a ‘70 911 S Targa,‘68 E-type roadster, and ‘70 Challenger R/T Conv. 440-6.
    Total $ for all 3 would have been..sorry, I want to have a good day.. Must have good day, must have good day......:(.

jgonzalesm6 and 375+ like this.
  5. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I read that Fangio was made Honorary Chairman of Mercedes Argentina when he retired.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Not exactly: actually, he had already bought the Argentine Mercedes concession even before he joined their racing team. Then, but well after his retirement, in 1974, he was appointed President of Mercedes-Benz Argentina, and later on, in 1987, "Honorary President of Mercedes-Benz Argentina for Life".

Rgds

Nuvolari and 375+ like this.
  7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Thanks for the correction. I didn't know Fangio was already connected with Mercedes-Benz before he drove for them.

8. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    The way Ferrari handled this entire thing with Seb was a huge mess and embarrassment.

stavura and Isobel like this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Ferrari often doesn' handles separation very well. It gets worse now with the leaks to the press and social media.

Alonso, Schumacher, Prost, Lauda, Regga, Scarfiotti, Surtees, P.Hill, Behra, Fangio and a few more, all left under a cloud.

Senna1994 likes this.
  10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Not really. How else should they have done it? Vettel had a contract through 2020.

375+ likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Was it not Vettel who 'leaked' first this time. Not a bad thing. He was not pleased but in fairness the team should have announced formally. Guess not LOL

375+ likes this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think it's a delicate situation to announce somebody's departure so early, but stll expect him to perform for another complete season.

Demotivation comes to mind.

bmwracer likes this.
  13. DF1

Latest from Vettel about his future - https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53436965

Sebastian Vettel says he is in no hurry to make a decision on his future after being linked with a move to Racing Point next season.

Germany’s Bild has reported that Vettel has been offered a contract by Racing Point boss Lawrence Stroll for 2021.

Vettel, who will leave Ferrari at the end of this season, said: “Everything is still open.

"Driving next year, not driving and maybe coming back, and not driving any more and doing something different."

Four-time world champion Vettel added: “I am not feeling pressure to make my decision too quickly.”

Racing Point, who have emerged as a major contender this year with a car known as the ‘Pink Mercedes’ for its likeness to last year’s title-winning machine, will be renamed Aston Martin next season.

That move follows the takeover of the historic sports car manufacturer by Canadian billionaire Stroll.

Racing Point’s existing drivers are Mexican Sergio Perez, who the team announced last August had signed a new contract until the end of 2022, and Stroll’s son Lance.

Perez said on Thursday before this weekend’s Hungarian Grand Prix: “I’m with the team as far as I know. I have a contract. We will see what happens in the next weeks.”

Stroll added that he was “determined to stay here”.

But Perez stopped short of saying he would definitely be at Racing Point next year and said he had been contacted by another team since the reports about Vettel emerged.

“In F1 you never know until you start the race if you’re racing,” Perez said. “This is how things are.

“I know I have a contract. I know during the week the rumours came out and we got contacted by a team in the paddock - and I won’t say names - and also other teams in other categories, which was quite a surprise because we have a contract for next year. But at the moment it is just rumours.”

Vettel is being replaced at Ferrari by Spaniard Carlos Sainz next season and there are relatively few options open to the 33-year-old.

Mercedes in theory have two open seats, but the world champions are expected to retain both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas next year.

And Red Bull motorsport adviser Helmut Marko and team principal Christian Horner have said publicly that there is no space for Vettel next year.

However, Vettel was seen talking to Red Bull co-owner Dietrich Mateschitz at the Styrian Grand Prix last weekend.

Vettel said: “At a later stage, it would get a bit more concrete. The truth is there is nothing more concrete than loose talks.

“Everyone is talking about Racing Point. The first two races have been impressive, the performance on track, but when it comes to myself there is no news, nothing that has changed within a week.

“There are two ways to look at it. One on paper - which seats there and which there are not - and for that I probably have too little information in terms of what are people’s contracts.

“But I have been around a long time and you never know. Things can always change. Irrespective of that, I need to make the decision myself and see if there is something suitable.”

Isobel likes this.
  14. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #564 zygomatic, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Met an older gent some time ago who talked about his racing days in the ‘50s and ‘60s. He owned and ran a SWB and a Gullwing back when they were “just old race cars”. As he said “my kids would kill me for selling them if they knew what they are worth now; but back then my wife was going to kill me if I didn’t get rid of them!”

Nuvolari, 375+ and Isobel like this.
  15. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    #565 Isobel, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    LOL! No my med count remains static these days athough it could increase at a moment’s notice.

And they say children never remember anything before a certain age........;).

Attached Files:

375+ and zygomatic like this.
  16. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    All lead by this chap......;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

zygomatic and 375+ like this.
  17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't recall Fred's Maserocki, just the Flintstone Flyer. Did he have a mid-life crisis?

Isobel likes this.
  18. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    He's Sebastian Vettel. He is expected to perform like a four-time World Champion should.

19. DF1

+1 and being a professional to deal with it. If he is that fragile there are other jobs

20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yes, but we don't live in an ideal world, do we ?

21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Lawrence is a businessman. 2 scenarios that this plays out.

Scenario #1: Keep Perez. Bring in Seb. Move Stroll to reserve driver.
    Money comes in, cost money, money comes in.

Scenario #2: Oust Perez, Bring in Seb, Keep Stroll.
    Cost money, cost money, cost money.

Ummmm, I'll take scenario #1 for a 1000 Alex.

375+ likes this.
  22. DF1

Paying Seb for anything after Ferrari dumped millions is hardly good business. For Stroll its a game as a Billionaire. He will make what he pays Seb back weekly or swifter. Of all the WDC's out there I didnt think anyone would top Kimi for lack of results. Seb has.

ingegnere likes this.
  23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I´d say that Vettel should be grateful for this last mercy from the Scuderia. For him it would be worse that they´d spent the whole season pretending everything is OK just to sack him when he has no time for reaction.

That´s what I would have done, to be honest: after four years of very well paid services I´d had squeezed any ounce of motivation that is left in that bastard.

ingegnere likes this.
  24. DF1

He was fired. He didnt like how they did it. You are an employee. You do not get to decide that issue in terms of technique. They called and it's done. Next!

ingegnere likes this.
  25. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Fell bad for Perez...
    But sometimes when a door is shut, another one opens and at Racepoint, he had a uphill battle with owner's son being other driver...
    Move on and see what happens... a few years from now, Perez may think this is best thing that happened to him