Seb out of SF for 2021 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Seb out of SF for 2021

Discussion in 'F1' started by 11506apollo, May 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Senna did the same thing with Williams in the early 1990s and 2 years later was offered the ride he coveted, mostly due to Williams poor treatment of its drivers. $20-$30 million per driver does make a dent in the cost cap of $150 million or less that is being pushed to allow F1 to survive. Any of the top drivers would win the world championship in the Mercedes which has been the most dominant team and cars in F1 history. Toto knows this, thus his remarks yesterday to the press about focusing on resigning his existing drivers, but that Seb would have to be considered. It may all be moot with the devastation that COVID is taking on the major auto manufacturers, I can easily see Mercedes, Renault being forced to leave and Haas and Williams not coming back due to economic reasons.

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #127 freshmeat, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    newsflash: no one cares about bad attitude when clutching the wdc trophy, just like no one cares how ugly the car is as long as it’s a winner.

3. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    An interesting 'end around' of the cap would be a couple of extra LaFerrari replacement car very early model builds by Ferrari that each driver could flip for a tidy profit...

DGPF, Jeronimo GTO and 375+ like this.
  4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

As far as I know, the retainers paid to the drivers, and the wages of the top 3 team executives would not be included in the proposed budget cap.

For Red Bull Racing, for example, the money paid to Verstappen, Albon, Horner, Newey and Marko would not be included.
    That must be not far from $100 million.

Same for the other teams, of course.

Terra likes this.
  5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Who replaced Kvyat as Ferrari development/test driver when he left?

6. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    ;).
    He’d do a much better job than the last Canadian we had working for the Italians....
    Plus no challenge to Eclair. Mmmmm, all those pay driver $trolloons......Is Hulk’s ‘27’ available ? ;)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  7. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Senna never drove for free. Driver's salaries are excluded from cost caps.

I do not want an employee who works for me for free. You get what you pay for, and you have liability. Anyone who does not believe they are worth paying is not someone I want working for me. Including a talented F1 driver.

william and Boomhauer like this.
  8. barkanddex

barkanddex Rookie

Apr 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Natalie
    Thank you for clarifying. I was wondering about this and thought it may be contributing to Vettels one year renewal only; and whether Merc could still afford Lewis given what development costs are. Thought that might be part of his impetus to retire and hang out with the Kardashians full time.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Nige did pretty well with his F40 as I recall.

of2worlds likes this.
  10. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    I think Sainz is a great grab. He drove very well at McLaren last year and pulled off some clutch passes when needed. He seems very focused on improving his race craft. I think he and LeClerc could pair well.

Danny Ric didn't get along with having another #1 driver on the team. Why would that be any different at Ferrari? He's also made some very silly mistakes at Renault. I like him, but signing him seems like a recipe for the same fireworks they have right now.

Boomhauer and barkanddex like this.
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Good question. Perhaps not if his superlicense is current?

12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 agree

Jeronimo GTO, barkanddex and Isobel like this.
  13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Every one has a price

Imagine Paps offering $500 mio to put his boy in the hot seat ? I think Ferrari would at least blink,eyebrows raised a tad;)

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Vettels reputation will forever be scared from being whipped by 2 much younger and less experienced teammates

DGPF and william like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  16. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Vettel mindset is broken.
    Retirement is the only logical way to go for him

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    - Vettel
    + Sainz

this year just keeps getting better...

18. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Really looking forward to watching LeClerc in the 2021 season Hope he gets the WDC

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Leclerc is not the problem i guess
    Our ability to produce a competitive car is the only question mark

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    not cool at all...

stavura and SirPouyan like this.
  21. SirPouyan

SirPouyan Karting
    BANNED

Oct 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    SirPouyan
    - Vettel + Sainz - overproduction = great year for both F1 and auto side

22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Seriously, I would prefer to see Hulkenberg or Perez at Ferrari than Sainz. Ferrari should either take a top driver such as Ricciardo or Hamilton, or one that will be a clear number two to Leclerc. Sainz was trashed by Kyviat on GP3 and trashed by Verstappen on Toro Rosso. If he joins Ferrari, he will do whatever it takes to defeat Leclerc. If that's what Ferrari wants, someone to push Leclerc, at least take Ricciardo.

23. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think Ferrari is clearly sold on Leclerc. I think he is alongside Verstappen as the next gen best drivers. Ricciardo may have been a better option for Ferrari, but seriously he is at that point in his career where he won't screw around playing anyone's back-up. He wants to be a team lead and WDC. I think Sainz is a good complimentary driver to Charles...he was competitive with Max at STR and did well with McLaren last year. He's just not that top step driver who will stoke tensions within the team though.

On another note, I REALLY wish things had worked out for Seb. He arrived with such promise and departs in shambles, possibly retiring at 32 years old (should be his prime years). The red mist issues and erratic driving in close quarters was always there (even at RBR), but in the fastest car he had the ability to get out front and never look back. Now, he is completely mistake prone due to the pressure of underperforming. He even spun out in the eSports Grand Prix a couple of weeks ago. I hope he comes back to a lesser team with less pressure and goes out on the right terms.

DGPF and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    No way with this lame duck

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice post. Fully agree. Ricci is now impatient potentially to make a mark in a top team such as Ferrari. Not bringing him is good for the team at Ferrari. Sainz is possibly like Bottas and would work well with the team and Charles............so we hope.

I think Seb counted on Ferrari providing him a car that he liked first for him...........they did not. New press stating Ferrari knew he was not as fast as FA vs Kimi. So we have the results that show that and his lack of adaptability to a car that is less than perfect for his style. Much like Kimi and nothing again like FA. With Vettel vs FA the team took a large step back in capability. The car did get better - Seb did not. I have no sympathy as he seemed unable to admit his issues until very very late and made very very stupid new F1 driver errors as well.

Seb was great in a perfect for him car, and mid pack potentially in terms of overall talent vs FA and others. Like most drivers, title winning cars are a must. He lacked the emotion control and adaptability to really drive a less than perfect car and drove himself into errors almost routinely. The rose or Red Bull colored sun glasses are off. He appears to be a bit less than a true 4 WDC would be in stature.

ricksb, petrol_junkie and SirPouyan like this.