Second Amendment saves lives-AGAIN!!! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Second Amendment saves lives-AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Horsefly, Nov 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hank! Call Dale, Boom-hower and Bill. I just saw 30 Rapters flying into our neck of the woods. Grab the shot guns. We'll show the government not to mess with our Anti Government Survival group. This will show those Rapter- heat seeking, GPS laser guide bomb dropping jockeys... this buck-shots for you!

I think after 200 years, we've proved voting might work better than shot-guns. I just have a better feeling after 200 years of success with this voting thing... then the Framers probably had when they where just trying to get it started.

You guys are going to need a bigger gun

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Then use the word "mean' not 'crazy'. However, I think it is 'mean' of us (here in the USoA) to dump people who used to be sequestered in mental institutions onto the streets. E.g. the ones who really qualify as crazy not the ones who simply don't want to abide by the laws of the land.

BTW: I have nothing against people using guns to defend themselves, I just wish more of the defense actions resulted in dead bodies than living criminals with the ability to sue the defending persons.

BTW2: I would not last 0.2 seconds as a cop anywhere, even though I admire those who take up this kind of responsibility.

3. CRUSING

CRUSING Karting

Oct 31, 2002
    Jupiter, FL
    For all you guys wimpering about people who are hurt by guns and need to keep guns out of the hands of crazy people... Why don't you try to keep cars out of the hands of idiots like the guy who is pissed that he can't drive 180 mph on the freeway in Georgia. Cars are the real threat not guns. Outlawing things works really well if you haven't noticed... Works for drugs doesn't it?

I would bet if all you gun controlers who responded took an honest look at yourself you would be first in line fighting to protect speech at the first hint of infringment of that right. Art, I am pretty sure that would be you.

And BTW we have had peaceful elections for 200 years in some part due to the people having power, in other words able to protect against the tyranny of the state by having guns. Hitler and Stalin wasted no time confiscating guns when they took power. That is FACT and not some antiquated notion form 200 years ago. This happens even today. So be thankful for our founders and all the rights not just the 1st, 4th and 14th ammendment.

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

Cruising:

We do attempt to keep cars out of the hands of loons. You'd better check the various motor vehicle statues about the privilege of driving. DUI, failure to make support payments, reckless driving, the list goes on and on. We regulate who gets to operate dangerous machinery, and despite the fringe commentary, that ought to apply to guns as well.

In fact, there was window dressing on gun regulation. The thought was there, the congress attempted to pass such legislation, but left too many loop holes. If those who want guns aren't domestic violent perputrators, aren't convicted violent criminals, are mentally deranged, they should have no problem obtaining a firearm. Those that think these restrictions are excessive are exactly what they purport to be: on the fring.

Art

5. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    "Outlawing things works really well if you haven't noticed..."

Hate to break it to you, but laws mean noting without punishments. It's not the laws that keep people in line, it's the punishments. Our society will never want to punish lawbreakers, so laws rarely have that much meaning.

As far as the framers of the constitution go; they had no idea what the future would hold. Look at who the constitution was meant to apply to? We're lucky that things weren't left as they were originally planned.

6. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Could a required safety course teach that guy that maybe that pistol isn't the best choice?"

And I suppose that we will also require beer drinkers to attend a mandatory "drinking" school where they will be taught the evils of drunk driving which kills over 17,000 people each year in America.

"If it wasn't for the bribery of the gun lobby, we would. What this country needs is a strong lobby against that gun lobby, and effective use of the money to make things happen. Or, we should find a way to outlaw money being used to buy votes."

Art, I suppose that you naturally accuse AARP as being a lobby that "buys" votes, because they are the biggest lobby in America; bigger than the NRA. So Art, can we put you down as the founding member of the Anti-American Association of Retired Persons? That should look great on your resume.

Mark said: "All Farmers need guns to shoot at crows in the corn patch, foxes in the chickens coop, and keep the rabbits away from the greens. Maybe shoot a deer and have a nice dinner. Or you might need to shoot a horse thief."

Mark, you obviously haven't ever researched the reason for the existance of the Second Amendment Right to Bear Arms. It wasn't for the purpose of shooting crows. It was for the purpose of having an armed population, AS WELL AS a standing army, to defend our country AND our personal liberties. It had nothing at all to do with DEER hunting.

7. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Although the jury is still out as to weather the framers, when referring to a 'well armed militia' meant the citizenry at large or some form of official group, when looking at the history of laws through the last 200 years, we can imply they meant the citizenry at large. From the time the Amendments were written until just a few decades ago, there has been to discernable effort to ban or otherwise limit the access or ownership of firearms at the Federal level. This includes the period at the end of the Civil War when President Lincoln allowed Confederate soldiers to keep their privately owned firearms.

I fall into the category of those who believe, at the time it was written, the 2nd Amendment was intended to give citizens the ability to resist tyrannical governments, both domestic and foreign.
    With modern technology this ideological concept is a bit far-fetched, but not totally ludicrous, as the Afghan resistance to the Soviets showed the world.

Although I initially opposed the easing of CCW permits by some states, including mine (Colorado) in the belief it would result in untrained citizens shooting innocent people, this has not turned out to be the case. Although I spent 13 years in uniformed patrol and have extensive training, both physical and legal, in use of deadly force, I do not have a CCW.

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm just looking at how things have changed in the last 200 years.
    I don't grow my own food or need a gun anymore.

When I lived in Bloomington Indiana I enjoyed my gun and my dirt bike.

My last three homes (Detroit, Miami, New York) all offer so much to do...but when you live in the big city guns are seen as a problem.

When you live in the country Guns are fun.

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Posse Comitatus Act of 1878

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

MarkPDX, I'm sure that they would just be providing "technical assistance".;)

11. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    This argument is verbal wheel-spinning, as it has arisen before and I'm sure we'll visit it again. The pattern seems to be that those raised around guns and often generally rural areas vehemently defent 2nd ammendment rights and fear any sort of proposed limitations as an effort to take away the firearms of every American. Not only are the guns for sport, but for the defense of their families and homes.

The other side, from which I come, tends to associate guns more with their ugly, lethal side commonly seen in more urban areas. We don't want to rid the country of guns, we just want a little institutional control on the dispersion of firearms in this nation. Carreaper suggests that it's difficult to obtain a handgun these days. Sure it is--if you're one of the responsible citizens above. The problem is the millions of unaccounted-for weapons readily available on the street, from handguns to various grades of assault weapons, that end up in the hands of criminals and gangs.

Those of you that hail from and reside in more rural areas don't understand the concerns of those in a city. It isn't about owning a gun to protect your family from intruders. It's about the randomness of bullets hitting and killing innocent people--be they on their porch, inside their house or at a bus stop--because of drive-by shootings or gang-related activities.

We have issues that need addressing, and some of them pertain to the ridiculous number of guns that are readily available on the streets. We couldn't give a f**k about the guy down the street with his hunting rifles, provided he's responsible about them. We don't want his guns, we want the ones that are killing innocent people.

12. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Although the jury is still out as to weather the framers, when referring to a 'well armed militia' meant the citizenry at large or some form of official group,"

I'm just curious as to WHO decided that the jury NEEDED to be called into existance in the first place. It's not like the Second Amendment suddenly popped into being 10 years ago. It's been around for over 200 years like the rest of the Bill of Rights. But the gun haters with their agenda decided that the Constitution needed some editing. I believe that Hitler and Stalin tried that kind of "editing" in their countries.

Here's one scenario to consider: When some wacko abuses his firearms and kills a bunch of people, the gun hating liberals start pounding their gun control drum demanding that people be FORCED to give up their guns like in England or Australia. But why is it that when a guy uses his gun to DEFEND himself and/or his family, NOBODY in the pro-gun community starts pounding a drum DEMANDING that EVERYBODY should be FORCED to own a gun? The NRA and other pro-gun people merely desire to keep the same rights that have been in existance for over 200 years. We're not trying to force ANYBODY to do ANYTHING!

I think it's easy to see who really has the agenda.

13. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    Arlie,
    You're a real disappointment to debate with. No one on this chat group wants to ban guns, but yet you keep referring to all these people that want to ban them. I've never met a person that wants to ban them, although I've heard there are people like that out there.

You like the comparison to drunk driving. That's a great comparison, because the laws on that are equally f*cked up and worthless. And there is some amount of education regarding the effects of alcohol, it's on the TV all the time, on the boxes it comes in and usually on the bottles themselves. It clearly states "impairs your ability to drive a car". Why do you fear educating stupid americans that want to own guns about the capability of guns?

Gun education for owners should be mandatory. And when a gun owner screws up, they should NEVER be allowed to own a gun again. Someone uses a gun in a crime, they should be locked in an 8'x8' cell and never let out again. People should fear using guns irresponsibly, and that would help eliminate this debate in the first place.

14. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Arlie,
    You're a real disappointment to debate with."

Randall, of all people, I would think that somebody in Honolulu would remember a little skirmish that occured over there on December 7th, 1941. Weren't there alot of people running around the island that day grabbing up every gun that they could get their hands on? I'll bet there were lots of folks who were glad that we had a Second Amendment that day. But don't worry Randall, something like that could never happen again. (assuming of course you ignore the killing fields of Cambodia, the massacres in Rwanda, the murder or thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, the civil wars in Yugoslavia, El Salvador, etc.) Those kind of things just don't happen in the modern civilized world, do they? And because they don't happen, people would never need a firearm to defend themselves would they?

15. randall

randall Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Portsmouth, VA
    Full Name:
    Randall
    The great thing about Hawaii is that there is a decent amount of gun control. All guns must be registered, all sales (new and used) must go through a gun dealer and safety courses and waiting periods are required. I hear the gun lovers cry about it all the time. But the funny thing is they still get to own their guns, but there's a lot less blackmarket guns available. And "hot" guns here cost more than legally purchased ones. So it seems that gun control in Hawaii is good, and it works.

Maybe if we had things your way there would be vending machines with pistols in it. Instead of the gum dispenser at the bottom there could be an ammo dispenser. No safety course, no registration and no age limits. Because that's how Arlie likes it.

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You're right, Arlie. On Dec. 7, 1941, there WERE lots of people running for their guns in Hawaii. And they were all members of the U.S. military, who had decided to put a major strategic military base on a chain of islands we really have no reason to "own" in the first place, other than for military positioning. A little off topic, but Pearl Harbor is a pretty lame example to use in defense of the 2nd Ammendment.

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

Arlie will not discuss the issue of how we keep guns from those that 99.9% of us agree should not have them. He can't discuss those issues, because the NRA is against all controls. Their point of reference is that once they use the gun, or get caught with it, we should use the laws on the books against them. Sounds great, but its kinda like locking the barn after your horse has been stolen, a little too little, and a little too late.

This is about the money that those selling guns make to the fringe. Buy this, buy that, so we can make money.

Another part of the issue: certain types of ammunition are only used to defeat body armour. Why is this stuff sold? To the fringe.

When we decide to take our country back from these loons, maybe just maybe we'll get rational government.

Art

18. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I am wholehartedly in favor of the regulation and limitation of distribution of guns, just like any dangerous took (eg Dynamite, a car, an airplane, etc).

However I do not want our government to be involved to avoid a simple potential conflict of intrest. Sounds silly, 'why would they care' yadda yadda... untill you read some of Hitler's quotes...

Art- as you likely know in California, to purchase ANY gun, including a bolt-action hunting rifle, one adheres to the following:

A) 10day waiting peroid
    B) Give up your Social Security number
    C) Provide a right hand thumbprint
    D) Pass a criminal background check

Additionally; to purchase a handgun, one must also have attended a Handgun Safety Course (and show an HSC certificate, that must be peroidically renewed) and provide an in-store Safe Handling Demonstration.

I would actually like this all to be taken furthur.

I would like to see every gun owner trained in the SAFE defensive useage of their weapons in urban and other situations. Learn how to check their backgrounds, and how to shoot to eliminate a threat and minimize collateral damage.

However I think our own government should have no part of any of it.

Unfortunately, I see no easy solution.

I want to live in a society where the responsible, trained, and honorable citizens are armed. And criminals don't exist or at least fail to act.

Best!
    Ben.

PS: Arlie, your arguments here not only reflect poorly on your intelligence and tact, but on that of gun owners in general. Please stop.

19. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    When reading the updated story, we discover the Doctor fired 9 shots at the kidnapper, hitting him a few times without much damage. The kidnapper then shot at the Doctor point blank but his gun misfired.....

If you choose to buy a firearm for protection there are 3 things you need to do:

1. learn HOW to shoot the Damn thing!

2. learn WHEN you can legally shoot someone

3. psych yourself out from the day you buy it that you may have to actually kill someone - this will make #1 go much more smoothly

20. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Do a little research on the subject, you will find that one of the biggest complaints from pro-gunners is that the NRA is a political beast that compromises too much.

21. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wrong. At least in VA, the vendor at a gun show calls a State Police number set up expressly (lawyers love that word) for the purpose of background checks. In minutes the seller has the answer right there at the gun show. My dad just bought a handgun last week at a show.

This your side and my side agree on. But what our sides never do agree on is what is the quantitative definition of "moderate?" It's just like when you ask a liberal what % of taxation is enough. Drives 'em crazy. :D

22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    The kidnapper's gun only misfired because it apparently had a broken firing pin from the start. Of course, the doctor and his wife did not know that. The doctor was severely beaten by the kidnapper even after he shot the kidnapper.

On December 7th, 1941, EVERYBODY, military or civilian from Honolulu to California was bracing for a possible invasion. So don't give me that bunk about "nobody except the military" was reaching for their guns that day. I GUARANTEE that EVERYBODY who could get to a firearm that day was digging one out of their closets, drawers, or basement. Many people in the Phillipines were doing the same thing when the Japanese started their take over. Are you telling me that you would have rather been part of the Bataan Death March instead of fleeing your plantation with gun in hand, to at least have a CHANCE of defending yourself from the invading Japanese dictatorship?

Most historians will agree that RELIGIOUS differences have been the cause of more deaths throughout history than any other cause.
    So with that thought in mind, would you have California LEAD THE WAY and require REGISTRATION of all people who participate in organized religion? What's good for gun control, which is protected by the Second Amendment, should also be good for the Third Amendment shouldn't it?

Since Art is the founding member of the Anti-American Association of Retired People, maybe we should also let him be in charge of CALIFORNIA RELIGIOUS REGISTRATION. Just follow the following format:

A) 10day waiting peroid
    B) Give up your Social Security number
    C) Provide a right hand thumbprint
    D) Pass a criminal background check

You will then be issued a photo identity card listing you as a Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Hindu, or whatever and then the government would then instruct you as to where, and when, you would be ALLOWED to worship in your area. JUST LIKE CALIFORNIA GUN CONTROL.

23. ART360

ART360 Guest

What California doesn't do, is to make illegal the purcahse of guns in states where there is little or no controls over who buys guns. Examples are: purchase of a gun at a show in Las Vegs over the weekend, when the background check doesn't come back, etc.

I would make a resident of California, who attempts to purchase a firearm in another State, comply with California law (or better yet, make the entire country have one, unified, effective law) regarding acquisition of firearms. There are currently way to many loopholes that allow people to buy these without any safeguards.

Last but not least: what about the ammo that is being sold that is designed solely to penetrate body armour? should that be legal, and if so, why?

Art

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #49 tbakowsky, Nov 26, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    "Examples are: purchase of a gun at a show in Las Vegs over the weekend, when the background check doesn't come back, etc."

Art, any legal California resident (except a licensed FFL dealer) could not legally purchase a gun at a show in Las Vegas and bring the gun across state lines into California. Only a licensed dealer with an FFL (Federal Firearms License) can make those types of interstate transfers. If a person purchases a gun outside of his state of residence, he must find a willing FFL holder to transport the gun back to his home state. If you do it yourself, you're breaking the law. The law already covers such situations; we don't need another law. That's exactly why I don't bother to attend gun shows across the Mississippi River in Memphis, Tennessee because I am an Arkansas resident, and I couldn't legally bring back any gun purchase that I might make.