Secondary Air Pump Project Part# 165903 | FerrariChat

Secondary Air Pump Project Part# 165903

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by paulchua, Sep 19, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Greetings friends, and "Stooges" from the 348/355 paddock.

I'm starting a new project to repair/remediate the Secondary Air Pump Project Part# 165903

Background.

My Air Pump has stopped working and my friend @yelcab has a solution here that he was able to make work for the F355. I got the replacement part from him, and it was cheap at around $100. The problem is, that the area where it would need to be custom mounted is far too small to add it in. I might still go that route if this project fails, but I thought I would post here the entire journey for posterity.

So, I just bought an old broken pump from my other friend Stefan from redbayparts (a site I highly recommend)

What I'm going to do is take it apart and see if i can somehow install a new motor, or jury rig it somehow.

By the way, it's a total PITA to take the pump out of a 456M - I'm taking it to a lift as there are 3 screws on the bottom mounting it to the chassis that I can't get out from the top.

More to come.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    By the way, while I know this is just for emissions, I've read (not sure if true) that this may have detrimental effects on performance, definitely smog. I have a pesky check engine light code (bad o2 sensor passenger side) that I thought was related to a bad cat (could still be the case), I thought I might as well get this sorted first, and see what happens. If this works, my next step is to get the cat recorded (already have 2 brand new O2 sensors installed)

If neither works, bad ECU?

Cheers

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I seem to remember that the ECU tests the o2 sensors by ... turning on the Secondary Air Pump and detects the pre-cat O2 sensors going too lean condition. If that is true, then not having a working secondary air pump would cause the O2 sensor codes.

paulchua likes this.
  4. FerrariofAlberta

Feb 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott McMonigle
    On a side note, I was just in Belgium for the Spa F1 race and visited Stefan at Red Bay. I went to go look at some 512BBi clamshells for a customer, Stefan has quite the operation and is a great person. I highly recommend supporting him!

Scott
    Ferrari of Alberta

paulchua and bay like this.
  5. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    https://redbaycars.com/

;)

paulchua likes this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks, Mitchell - that's what I was thinking too. I have the part coming, will try to do some magic on it- I will report here.
    +1 about Stefan. Great operation!