Seconday air pump | FerrariChat

Seconday air pump

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gabriel, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

I'm in the middle of repairing/replacing the fuel pumps in the (86)TR, and I noticed that the belt to the air pump is missing. Upon inspection, the pulley wobbles quite a bit, and I assume that indicates that it is broken.
    All I know about it is that it is part of the emisssions system. Can someone enlighten me on its function? Is it needed to run properly?

Also, if someone has a workshop manual, I'll be glad to pay for a copy.

Thanks! -g

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The TR air injection system operation is described fairly well in Chapter 3 (subsection "air injection system") of the OM -- are you familiar with this?

The pulley on the air pump is actually an electromagnetic clutch mounted to the front of the air pump (i.e., a wobbling pulley is a bad sign for that clutch, but the air pump itself may or may not have problems too -- like being frozen, causing the belt to break).

I think you've already demonstrated that there aren't any serious/obvious short-term running symptoms if the air injection stuff isn't working, but it won't be healthy long-term for the precats or cats (if you've still got those) -- what's your exhaust configuration?

IMO, if you don't repair the system now you'll just be paying the next Owner to repair it after a PPI...

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

The TR air injection system operation is described fairly well in Chapter 3 (subsection "air injection system") of the OM -- are you familiar with this?

> My OM is being mailed today.

> but it won't be healthy long-term for the precats or cats (if you've still got those) -- what's your exhaust configuration?

The exaust is stock. I may weld up a new system or just remove the cats, after I get the other issues resolved.

>IMO, if you don't repair the system now you'll just be paying the next Owner to repair it after a PPI..

Thanks Steve! - that is all great information. I intend to fix anything that I find wrong right now. I may actually remove the engine if I can locate a shop manual.