Seeking Clarification on Ferrari 308 Camshaft Length Discrepancy | FerrariChat

Seeking Clarification on Ferrari 308 Camshaft Length Discrepancy

Discussion in '308/328' started by ItalianProjects101, Apr 3, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ItalianProjects101

Feb 5, 2023
    Full Name:
    D
    Hello fellow Ferraristi,

I recently acquired a set of aftermarket camshafts from CatCams for my Ferrari 308 I am restoring. However, upon reaching out to them for installation guidance, I was informed that there are slight differences in length between the left bank and right bank camshafts. Specifically, they mentioned that one bank has slightly longer camshafts than the other, and the same applies to the exhaust side.

This revelation has left me a bit perplexed, as I always assumed that camshafts for the Ferrari 308 would be identical in length for both banks. I've attached an image for reference to illustrate the differences in length as indicated by CatCams.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Given this unexpected difference, I'm seeking guidance from the knowledgeable members of this forum. Can anyone confirm if this is correct and if so to which bank should the long ones go to and the shorter ones go to?

Your insights and expertise would be greatly appreciated as I navigate this situation and ensure the optimal performance of my beloved Ferrari.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    MPC has good pictures of most (if not all) of the 308 cams like these:

108915 1-4 RH bank intake cam:
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/108915

108990 5-8 LH bank intake cam:
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/ferrari/108990

Note how the first cam journal area on 108915 is closer to the cam seal area than 108990. I think this is related to the cam belts being coplanar, but the actual cylinders in each bank being offset by the thickness of the connecting rod -- but don't quote me on that ;). Anyway, you should be able to compare your cams to the photos at MPC to figure out what's what.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Cowboy Capitol of the World
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No instructions really needed. They simply do not fit in the wrong head.

The exhaust cams will have an S by the part number and the intakes will have an A. Thats all you really need to know.

lm2504me likes this.