Seeking Tom Meade/Thomassima images for Wikipedia use | FerrariChat

Seeking Tom Meade/Thomassima images for Wikipedia use

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by montagna, Apr 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. montagna

montagna Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Hello all, I'm not a very active member here on FChat but I spend a fair amount of time editing Wikipedia in order to improve the (currently quite patchy) coverage of vintage Ferrari models and topics. Recently, I have been collaborating with another wiki editor to write an article on the formerly Modena-based designer/customizer/dealer Tom Meade. That article is viewable here (happy to hear any input on it!).

I'm posting because currently there are no images of Meade's Thomassima cars available in Wikimedia Commons, the repository of freely usable images that Wikipedia draws upon for most of its images. As I know many people here may have attended events in which these cars have been shown, I wanted to put out a call for images here to see if anyone has photos in their archive they are interested in contributing. We're also in need of photos of Meade himself and/or any other cars he was involved with (e.g. Nembo spiders, modified Lussos like 4383GT etc).

Please be aware that Wikimedia Commons requires images be freely licensed (more information about what that means here). So if you have a commercial interest in your photographs or wish to keep them private, this is not for you. On the positive side, contributing images helps document these cars in an enduring way and your photographs will be seen and appreciated by many.

If you're interested, I'm happy to help with the uploading process and answer any questions, or you can do the process yourself here. If you do upload something, let me know and I will make sure it is categorized and used.

2. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    montagna and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I did one article on Tom in English in Sports Car International (US) and later republished in a French magazine, Auto Passion 20 years ago with extensive interview of Tom.

Another one by me focused on the Thomassima III came out this year in Octane magazine issue 201 March 2020. However I do not have the rights to any photos and intend to use my own and those of this year's shoot in a book chapter eventually so cannot help you with any rights free photos sorry.

Jack-the-lad and montagna like this.
  4. montagna

montagna Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Hi Marc, thanks for your reply- I completely understand about the photos!

It's no exaggeration to say that without your recent article in Octane about Thomassima III, this Wikipedia article would not have been written. The other editor I have been working with read your article and became interested in Tom's story. They don't normally work on automotive-related articles, so they reached out to me to collaborate on a wiki article, as it is closer to my area of interest. I've also read a few other articles of yours as research for wiki writing (Breadvan, Nembo spiders etc). Been trying to track down a copy of Rebel Rebel as well but as I'm sure you know they are scarce now. I always enjoy reading your research into these interesting corners of Modena during the 60s.

I wasn't aware of the Sports Car International article, do you remember the issue date? I will try to track down a copy.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #5 Nembo1777, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Hi Ross,

Great to hear and very rewarding, thank you:)

Regarding Rebel rebel don't pay attention to some crazy prices being asked now, they are not real, someone is trying to be clever, just keep looking on ebay, abebooks, and in car bookstores. Some deceased person's relative will sell one for ten Dollars.

My eight page first article on Tom came out in issue number 128, August September 1998 of Sports Car International. You should be able to find it. Here is the first page, I won't post the others online.
    The same article came out in France, en Francais, in Auto passion Mars, Avril 2000.

All the best, don't hesitate to contact me by PM if you have questions.

By the way once the Corona madness is over I will be doing a test drive article of two major cars in the Phoenix area...God knows when...so we can have a coffee/drink then.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

montagna, Jack-the-lad and V12addict like this.
  6. montagna

montagna Rookie

Mar 14, 2014
    Phoenix, Arizona, USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Thanks very much for the info Marc. I should be able to track it down now. Definitely send me a PM when you know your travel plans for Phoenix, would be great to meet up.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    montagna likes this.