Sell me on expensive sunglasses. | FerrariChat

Sell me on expensive sunglasses.

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by robert_c, Nov 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    I lost my sunglasses ($200) and replaced them with $1 ones from the .99 cent store for the interim. Can you give me good reasons why I should fork out another few hundred bucks for sunglasses? I usually don't lose them or break them. Are the lenses/fit/quality that much better?

2. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    one word: polarized.

maui jim lenses are the best, hands down. try them while driving, and ask any eye doctor.

designer glasses are for show and usually lack good lenses.

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sunglasses are art for the face and one of the only ways for a guy to express himself.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #4 amenasce, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    I lose my sunglasses or break them at leat once a year so im done spending $ on them. I have an old pair of Aviator however,they seem unbreakable and i cant seem to lose them.

5. Detailers Paradise

Detailers Paradise Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2005
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Nick
    I find that cheap sunglasses will glare off my face. I will get a "cloudy" view through the lens.

A quality lens will manage light better and reduce glare. I feel strongly in a polarized lens.

6. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    My argument against polarized is I can't read my car stereo while driving. But for snow skiing I agree.

Darth, I actually noticed your glasses on Sunday. No homo.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said.

Plus, not sure what kind of UV protection you're getting from $1 sunglasses.

8. 8 SNAKE

8 SNAKE F1 Veteran

Jan 5, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ask an eye doctor and see what kind of feedback you get.

9. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Robert C
    Any Optometrists here?

10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Don't know if they are the best but they sure have clear lenses. I have to say, they are the most clear glasses I have ever owned and I definitely like them.

I like my Natives too because I can go climbing and they don't come off when I take a whipper.

11. spEYEdr

spEYEdr Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2007
    LA - City of Angels
    for me:
    100% UV blocking
    polarized lenses
    high quality optics

I'm either wearing Maui Jim's or Oakleys. And I'm consistent, I wear sunglasses when outdoors 95%+ of the time.

The crap cheapo sunglasses may not have UV blocking (and the dark lenses dilate your pupils allowing more UV light into the eye than not wearing sunglasses) and the optical quality is poor which leads to poor vision and fatigue. More UV light = more likely to get pre-mature cataracts (definitely) and may predispose to retinal problems in the future (macular degeneration, but not as direct of a cause-effect relationship as the cataracts).

I'm an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) and I swear, I know what I'm talking about :)

Note that the fancy 'designer' brands (think of Italian and French named companies who make fancy handbags and shoes, like Gucci, Chanel, Fendi, Prada, Vuitton, etc) usually are decent in terms of optical quality, but lag behind the Maui Jims or Oakleys.

12. saleenfan

saleenfan Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    No Where
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    #12 saleenfan, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    I slove sunglasses although I rarely lose them (knock on wood) Everyone raves about Maui Jim sunglasses and dont get me wrong I have a pair and they are quite good however I absolutely love my Serengeti's. Ive had them for 5 years and still are crystal clear with no scratches (knocks again) no other lenses are as hard and clear as my Seregeti's. For me sunglasses are more than jewelry for my eyes (while style still is a factor in buying them) in the cockpit protecting your eyes is key. I wouldn't go back to buying cheap pair. I have had just about every brand of sunglasses on the market (except oakley) and have spent far too much money on them but still I love them. I feel that if you take a pair of cheap sunglasses and compare them side by side with a pair of cheapos it should speak for itself.

13. f355jimv

f355jimv Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have several pairs of Revos....

Been real happy with them.

14. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Interesting that so many love Maui Jim. My Maui Jims are more stylish than my 23 yr old Vuarnets, but when it comes to performance/protection/vision (especially when driving at sunrise and sunset) my Vuarnets are about 1000% better than the Maui Jims.

15. EnzymaticRacer

EnzymaticRacer F1 Veteran

Feb 27, 2005
    #15 EnzymaticRacer, Nov 6, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
    Personally,

I've only had 2 pairs of sunglasses in the last probably 14 years of my life, both Oakleys. I have sunglasses on almost anytime I'm outside during the day, so my two pairs of Oakleys have really lasted.

The first pair was some $150 or something, my current pair that I've had for about 8 years now are the Juliet type. Extremely well built, excellent visual clarity, polarized, etc. I also very much like the fact that the frames ride close to my face, which significantly reduces the radiant light that makes it to my eyes from around the glasses... that significantly increases the visual quality.

Since I really make my sunglasses last, a $300 pair of sunglasses really aren't all that pricey considering I will get probably 10+ years of use out of them.

Take care of your glasses and they can last you a very long time. The rest of my family wears Maui Jims, and they love them.

16. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR

++ on that. Nothing compares to the clarity of what you can see with the MJ's on. Well worth the $$$. (And I think the ones I have are still just about $150). Plus, they have a decent warranty on the lenses.

17. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    I am with Robert on this.
    I have lost 3 pairs of $200 sun glasses, and I am not buying any more.

I buy the decent $20-$40 ones now.
    And they seem just as good.

Thanks,
    UZY

18. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Maui Jim! Great company btw, located in my home town Peoria, IL. CEO wears shorts, sandals, and Hawaiian shirt to work every day and encourages his employees to do the same! :)

19. zjhoward

zjhoward Karting

Dec 15, 2007
    Full Name:
    Zachary Howard
    IMO, Oakley Juliets are the best pair of sunglasses on the market. Replaceable gaskets, lens, screws, etc. make for a pair of glasses that truly can last forever. The optics are great, with wonderful clarity. If you've never tried them, they're worth a look!

20. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I am also a fan of Vuarnet's because of their great optics. They are hard to find since none of the "sunglasses" places carry them. So along with my old Vuarnet's I have Serengeti's.

Kudos to spEYEdr for the "tech" in this thread as macular degeneration runs in my family. For sure I'll never buy cheapie sunglasses.

21. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've had 3-4 pairs of Revos and loved them. Interestingly I've been told that the guy who founded Revo went on to found Maui Jim.

Now that I need prescription lenses Revo are a bit more difficult.

22. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Got a pair of $350 Prada sunglasses.....best lenses I have ever worn and they look great too. Going on year 3 with them.......and I can spend 10 hours in the sun on the beach and my eyes never get tired. Same can't be said for cheapo glasses.

23. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It is probably the same 90/10 rule... you pay A LOT for that last 10%, and whether or not it is worth it depends on the person. I would not wear <$10 sunglasses because they are worse for your eyes (as spEYEdr explained), but the difference between a $40 pair and a $400 pair is probably minimal as far as functionality goes.

I owned two pairs of Oakleys when I was younger (maybe $100 each)... they worked well, I owned them a long time. Decided I wanted a different style/color and bought a pair of Oliver Peoples (~$400) which are polarized, and I can even tell a big difference between the build quality and lens quality between my Oakleys and the Oliver Peoples. I think it was worth it, and I expect to own them for many years.

24. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Porsche Design. No worries. :)

25. robert_c

robert_c F1 Rookie

May 12, 2005
    SoCal