Seller claims it's a parts car without title, looks complete to me | FerrariChat

Seller claims it's a parts car without title, looks complete to me

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sixcarbs, Oct 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    So the seller says consider as a parts car but he claims to have put $20,000 into it. Any complete Mondial that has had that much put into it should be closer to saving than parts.

I am wondering if there is more to the title story than described?? Something smells here. Anyone is Minnesota want to investigate?

Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Ferrari-Mondial-/132369121067?hash=item1ed1d07f2b:g:JlkAAOSwe51Z54wY&vxp=mtr

This is a 1982 Ferrari Mondial I bought roughly 10 years ago on ebay. The seller said it was a fully drivable clean car. After taking delivery I realized this was not the case and parked it in my garage. It has sat ever since. I spent nearly $20K on what I thought would be a near mint Ferrari. I want to make sure you don't make the same mistake. This is a complete parts car. I do not have the title as it was lost after taking delivery & the car was stored immediately afterwards. If you purchase this complete vehicle you should consider it a parts car.

The car is complete but has sat for years. Again, please bid under the assumption that this is a parts car. The last time I started the car it was drivable but that was several years ago. This would be ideal for someone looking to restore a 308 or Mondial. Like I said, everything is here and most of it could be salvaged.

paulchua likes this.
  2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For the bids on the site you are getting a bargain, wonder why the present owner has not stripped it for parts as lots of money there assuming the mechanicals are present. Buy it for parts and strip it

3. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Commented in another thread. It may be a stolen car. Or it may be a valve crashed car. Or the head(s) may be warped or cracked. Or it may just need a complete mechanical and electrical going through, plus new seats an paint. When you are done it will be worth $20K again.

4. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Surely not enough GOOD pictures in description. Could be a 10,000 dollar boat anchor.

5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Sounds stolen or some other shadiness going on to me. Its fairly straightforward to get a replacement title, why wouldn't the seller do that? Sounds like he's calling it a parts car to get around his lack of title.

6. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    It sounds like he bought it and never registered it ... so either there was some show-stopping mechanical problem (unresolved), or he could not register it for some reason (not because he lost the title, that's fixable, more likely because it's "hot"). He does not answer straightforward questions about either.

7. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    Sold for $10K .. establishes the bottom of the current market for a complete project, equivalent I would say to drfinks green car. Let's see if it sticks! If it does, perhaps the buyer will surface here and tell us the good news!

8. alexion

alexion Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2013
    New York
    $10k seems like a lot of money for rusty parts with an unknown story...If it's back on fleabay next week we can speculate further.

paulchua likes this.
  9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    I wonder if it had an engine?

10. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    I suspect the motor would not turn for the usual reason. Seller would not answer when asked if the motor turned by hand. If that is the case, the buyer doesn't have a lot of room to complain, as the seller clearly stated it's a parts car that does not run.

11. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    it was a legit vin, vin did not throw any red flags when run on internet stolen vehicle database (fwtw). Car had a cafax history to the point where current owner bought it from CA and brought it to MN. Sadly he did not respond to questions. All of his ebay feedback was as a buyer, never a seller which may be part of his never answering questions. People buy cars that are too much for them to handle all the time. This guy lost interest, lost the title and never registered it here in MN probably because he didn't want to pay additional sales tax when registering it on a car that he felt he got screwed on in the first place. Not sure how that immediately leads to the assumption it's a stolen car.

at $10k it's an easy recover if parted out. Perhaps it was even something super simple and the new owner found a viable project, maybe not... The I bought a mondial cab froma guy a couple years ago who was frustrated with it because the battery was always going dead. He could only drive it once or twice and have to recharge it....car didn't have an alternator belt on it. I bought it, put on a new belt and have enjoyed it ever since. Not every ferrari "project" car is a nuclear disaster

12. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004