Selling my 2005 Aston Martin DB9 at Mecum Harrisburg | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Selling my 2005 Aston Martin DB9 at Mecum Harrisburg

Discussion in 'British' started by HOF Ferrari, Jul 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Your analysis of the Aston market is bull. Blacks, grays and silvers are a dime a dozen as compared to greens. We're not comparing Astons to other cars, just the Aston market. You want an iconic green Aston, you can easily spend a couple years or more looking for one. You want a b/g/s Aston? You've got a choice of dozens today.

Of the 500 used Gaydon cars for sale on Cars, there are 400 black, gray, silver and white, vs 10 green ones. It is far easier to negotiate a sale when the buyer has essentially no where else to go. Don't like the price of the b/g/s/w one you are looking at? Just move on to the next one (like everyone is always advising on 6 Speed).

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I’m not disagreeing with your logic but you only look at it from the seller’s side like he has some unicorn made of gold. You still have to find the buyer for the green car. They are not very plentiful.

The guy with the prugna Ferrari is in the same boat. Great color. Not as many made. Not many buyers.

Just reversed your quote as this is easily as true for a green or prugna car:
    “It is far easier to negotiate a buy when the Seller has essentially no where else to go.”

Obviously all depends on your individual seller or buyer and their patience.

Robb

3. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If I were you Art and you have any thought of selling it or not keeping it forever, I'd take that offer in a heartbeat as it's a great offer in today's market.

Green is a rare color indeed but I think it's a hard color to sell. On a British car it's a bit easier but I still think silver, gray, blue, etc. are easier sales.

Robb likes this.
  4. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Red is Ferrari and green is Aston Martin. They race in green just as Ferrari races in red. The buyer to seller ratio for green is higher than for other colors, that's why so few are available. On the used market you've got 2% of the cars in green, whereas 5% of new cars are a shade of green. Owners tend to keep them because they are most often ordered vs being on a showroom floor.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Look... :) I agree with your comments on racing.

You are kind of contradicting yourself though on sales.

Why aren’t they “normally on the showroom floor...”

Because dealers don’t want to wait very long to find those fewer buyers. They know that they will sell the other colors more quickly. And that they won’t sell as many green cars. They can’t afford a loss. Do I like that truth? Not really - just like I hate to see less original colors other than red in the Ferrari showroom or shop. Do I think green is a great color? Yes. Do I want to try to sell a green sports car? No not really. It will not be quick in most cases.

There is not this gigantic supply of hidden away green Aston’s that owners won’t part with.

I really want a blue 355... they are hard to find and not many out there. So I have to determine what that’s worth to me. Most blue Ferrari’s though will sell at a much lower price in blue (or green for that matter) than red or black.

Were more green Aston’s special ordered by buyers than green Ferrari’s? Yes. What is the ratio on those that special ordered a green Aston vs a special silver colored Aston or gray? Right. Really really low.

I’m going to the factory in the next few months and I am going to find out the colors and their ratios.

Happy to share their numbers.

Also happy to be very very wrong. But I’m being pretty logical.

Robb

6. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #31 71Satisfaction, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Guys, neither of you are wrong..
    The dynamic of what color(s) or options are exclusive and carry a premium depends on which side of the transaction you're on.

- When you're the buyer, and you *need* green, it'll be hard to find a green Aston. So the buyer pays a premium if he wants one (and as Robb infers in the case of buying from a dealer, the buyer pays a premium for the green when they have to order the color from the factory, because there aren't any in any dealerships).
    - When you're the seller, and you *need* a sale, you won't get a premium from buyers who aren't looking for a green Aston (and when you're a dealer, you stock your showroom with easy selling b/g/s/w finishes).
    - The 6-speed manual can go both ways too. Some buyers don't want a clutch pedal, some will see it as highly desirable.

All you need is the right dynamic for either case to be true.

Robb, let us know what Aston has on their color breakdowns, and manuals too, if they have that.. maybe it's even online somewhere.
    FWIW - My DB9 was ordered in a Heritage color... Chiltern Green. It's not a 2007 model year color. Then the 6-speed on top of that. A desirable combination for a buyer like me.

Thanks for the encouragement Eddie. An above-market offer is always flattering, and tempting.. I'm just not ready to sell. It's the second such unsolicited offer in as many years. The problem is, if those kinds of offers go to my head I'll be in for a let-down if I can't find a buyer someday, right? Luckily I've convinced myself it's a risk I'm willing to take to drive a very beautiful, rare Aston.
    - Art

flat_plane_eddie and Robb like this.
  7. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Well it does somewhat come down to money. If you don’t need the money and never will, then keep it and enjoy it!

I’m actually looking at buying one myself but have never driven one so want to make sure I like it over the V8 Vantage.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It's hard not to like the V12...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  9. aero

aero Formula Junior

May 8, 2011
    the netherlands
    Full Name:
    Emil Dubbelman
    I was looking for an Aston in 2016, have driven a manual DB7 Vantage, car ran not good and didn't like the overall package, it was green... with tan/green leather (perfect in my opnion). Later I drove a 2005 DB9 automatic. Liked the car, liked the sound but it felt a bit like a Porsche 928 automatic from a friend of mine. Too much GT.
    2 weeks later I drove the 2007 V8 Vantage we have right now. immediately on the first turn I felt this was the right car, a bit GT (practicality, this year it will be at Le Mans Classic, including camping!) and enough sportscar to satisfy that need but still combining that drop-dead good looks (which the new Vantage completly lacks).
    Short advice; Drive both and you will find out what fits you best.

10. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. I will drive them both because I'm afraid that the DB9 will be too GT for me and besides the looks and the V12, I might find it a bit "boring" and also too big. Ideally I'd get a V12 Vantage but those are priced the same/close to a Ferrari V12 and I'm not sure I'd choose that over an Italian V12.

11. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    It might be big...but not boring...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. flat_plane_eddie

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Beautiful pics and beautiful car! I guess by boring I mean not as exciting as a V8 Vantage would be which is smaller and more agile. Until I drive them both I won't be able to tell.

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I've not driven a V8, but an avid local collector who drives his cars a lot, stated emphatically his 2008-ish manual Vantage V8 was his favorite driving car, bar none... I'm happy with my DB9, it taught me what drivers mean when they say "the faster you go, the more it shrinks around you". So maybe the V8 does that even better.. ?

JohnnyRay,
    I'd have your color combo in a heartbeat. Absolutely love it.
    - Art

flat_plane_eddie likes this.