Selling vintage Rolex | FerrariChat

Selling vintage Rolex

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by Ghostdiver, Jul 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #1 Ghostdiver, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys, I am considering selling my vintage Rolex but am having a hard time finding a price point for it. The watch was serviced and appraised about 10 yrs ago for just under 4k. I know it has appreciated since then but I don't know how much. I've received one offer from a company out in CA that says they will give me the best deal on the planet at 6k. But when I talked to others, they say that seems kinda low, almost to the tune of half its value. So, I wanted to reach out to the FChat group to get honest opinions since the finer things are in our realm but we are not watch snobs...or at least I don't think you guys are! Anyway, here are the details:

Explorer
    Ref #1016
    S/N 3,0XX,XXX
    Clasp stamped 4 71
    End link stamped 258
    Original folded Oyster band stamped 7836
    Swiss T<25 dial
    Matching patina on the hands and dial
    Matte dial turning slightly gray in the middle
    Crystal replaced with OEM Rolex crystal by AD
    Serviced once about 10 yrs ago by AD
    All parts original. Purchased new by father in early 70's while deployed

I'm not trying to sell it here in this post, just trying to find a reasonable price to start at. My AD is only going to appraise it at replacement value which is basically the price of a new Explorer. I mean, everyone wants that vintage Ferrari at Toyota pricing but nobody is gonna do that unless it's a basket case. So what is reasonable or where can I go to get a reasonable value?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    For a second dealer perspective/offer you might contact Jacek at www.hqmilton.com.

These guys are very well known in the vintage Rolex world and will offer you a fair 'wholesale' price....which is all your going to get from a dealer.

I don't follow the 1016 market closely (so take this with a grain of salt)...but $6k-8k wholesale and $8-10k retail sounds about right if it's all original. If you have original box and papers, etc maybe a little more.

Higher value 1016s will be the gilt dials from the 1960s.

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Wally , the money you were offered is correct on a cash sale basis. This is what I do for a living. Is it worth more ? Maybe another 1-5 hundred but that's it. If you need to speak further you are welcome to pm me. Best , Kirk.

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Thanks Guys, wasn't sure on the spread between wholesale/retail on these. I didn't think the 6k offer was too bad considering it was only about 300 when purchased.

5. Mark020

Mark020 Rookie

Nov 15, 2012
    6k is a joke

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Wally. As CWilson said the original box and papers should add a couple of hundred.

7. Mark020

Mark020 Rookie

Nov 15, 2012
    Depending on what kind of papers a couple of thousand I'd say

8. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If it's a joke , make a better offer. Best , Kirk.