Senator Daniel K Inouye | FerrariChat

Senator Daniel K Inouye

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by sowest, Dec 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hawaii mourns the loss of Senator Inouye. His life was one of remarkable achievement and service to the state and the country. He was witness to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and, as soon as it was allowed, joined the Army as a member of the legendary 442nd Regimental Combat Team. It was a segregated unit made up of Japanese Americans and became the most decorated unit in the US military. He lost his right arm in combat in the Italian theater winning the Distinguished Service Cross, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart. He was also awarded the Medal of Honor by President Clinton in 2000.

After the war, he served in both the House of Representatives and the Senate for the Territory of Hawaii. When statehood arrived, he was elected to the US House of Representatives and three years later was elected to the US Senate where he served until his passing. He came to the attention of the nation as a whole because of his intelligent and reasoned performance as a member of the Select Committee looking into the Watergate scandal.

He brought attention and influence to this small state as well as a lot of Federal support and money.

Aloha Senator Inouye.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Never understood why he joined the democratic party when it was a democrat( pres Roosevelt) that imprisoned the Japanese? Any insight?
    My hats off to him for his patriotism.
    My he rest in peace.
    Ed

3. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi Ed

Why a Democrat? Please understand that I am in way over my head here, but I will make a stab at the question. Before the war Hawaii was run by big business,sugar, and pineapple. People from other countries were brought to Hawaii as contract laborers to work in the fields. They were not treated with much respect nor dignity. The big business and plantations could be generalized as Republican. After the war, the soldiers from the various immigrant groups returned to Hawaii with a newfound appreciation of the wider world and their own worth and strength. They worked together and took control of the Republican dominated Territorial Legislature in the early 1950's. Most of these people were the sons and daughters of contract laborers and they were determined to make life better for all the disenfranchised people.

I don't think Senator Inouye thought of the internment as a Republican or Democrat issue. I think that he saw the USA as whole made a questionable decision during a time of great national stress. I don't think he nor his family was ever in danger of internment. Most Hawaiian citizens of Japanese ancestry were also left alone. Internment was more widespread on the mainland. Senator Inouye continued in high school, graduating in 1942. He started medical studies at the University of Hawaii, but left the school to enlist in the Army in 1943.

I remember hearing a local radio interview with him telling of retuning to Hawaii after the war. He walked into a San Francisco barbershop in his uniform with an empty sleeve and the barber refused to cut his hair. He came home and set about representing all the people, but especially those that had been at the margins of society for so long.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Well,
    I'm still amazed that generations of groups will demonize republicans for things such as working conditions and refusals to country clubs, yet give a pass to democrats that actually committed atrocities. Simply calling it a sign of the times can also be applied to segregation.
    And I highly doubt all those past businesses were republican. Businesses pay cheap labor, even today. Checkout the turnover rate in any bank. Those tellers can barely pay for rent.
    Ed

5. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    Why make an issue of great service by a selection of party choice. It makes no sense to me. Guessing you would be arguing why he was a GOP under the same arguments if he selected that party? baffles me .

it is like arguing religious choice and his life's work.

6. sowest

sowest Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2006
    #6 sowest, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Senator Inouye was laid to rest yesterday at Punchbowl, The National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

President Obama was in attendance.

The picture is of the F-22 Raptors as they approached the rim of Punchbowl Crater, just before one of the jets went nearly vertical to form the missing man formation.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence
    With two freshmen (possibly female) Senators Hawaii is in DEEEEP kimchee!! :( In the past Hawaii & Alaska Senators worked together to keep Federal (mostly Military) spending high in the two states that needed those monies to keep their economies healthy. Now Hawaii has NO seniority in the Senate and no Alaskan Allies with enough seniority to be of much help. ( Alaska is a Republican state so even less chance of help for Hawaii)
    The President may be of some help to Hawaii but he’s only got 4 more years and it will take at least 12 to 16 years for the new guys to get enough seniority to be much help. With the Democrats dead set on military budget cutting Hawaii may be in for some deep cuts in its military related funding. Since Hawaii is a Democratic State the Republican leaders will not look kindly on giving us any kind of Federal funding.
    My $0.02

8. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    HI will do fine I expect. As CINCPAC resides there and on-going needs in Persian and now the Japan/straights of Taiwan not to mention Korean non-sense over the rocks in the water all of Asia is getting in a tizzy over [China's new experiemental CV], I expect funding to be steady albeit slight cutbacks. It is Okinawa that one should be concerned.

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Not to mention the military brass needs a playground.....
    Ed

10. mauispence

mauispence Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Lahaina, Maui, Hawai
    Full Name:
    Jim Spence