Send cars back to factory for re-spec? | FerrariChat

Send cars back to factory for re-spec?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by FLU, Feb 28, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Has anybody done this or know if this is even a possibility?
    I've been thinking about sending my car back to the factory and if possible running it through the Tailor Made program to re-spec it to make it more one of a kind. I'm in the USA.

Thx for any info!

ryalex and ScottS like this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Condor Man and FLU like this.
  3. JK101

JK101 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013

Yes this is possible to do a Tailor Made post delivery. I know of multiple cars from other regions which have had this exact process done.

Adam812 and FLU like this.
  4. U-Boat Commander

U-Boat Commander Formula 3

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    Interested to hear the outcome of this. Keep us posted.

FLU likes this.
  5. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    What would be particularly interesting is if you could do certain things at the dealership. So let's say you like the paint but don't like the interior. Can you order up a new interior at Tailor Made and have the dealer install it so you save the shipping cost to the factory?

FLU likes this.
  6. JK101

JK101 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    This is not the case. There are actually certain things that the dealer can install directly as it stands. This includes any Ferrari Genuine accessories which includes the carbon fiber options etc.

In the case for the Tailor Made program, it is generally speaking for much more prevalent changes such a repaint, fully reupholstored interior etc. For this, the car must be sent back to the factory. As far as I am aware, this service is reserved mainly for limited production run cars, where the original owner did not have the option to spec the car through Tailor Made in the first instance.

FLU likes this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Such modification work would most probably be outsourced by the factory to nearby Zanasi in Maranello.

Marcel Massini

Adam812, Bundy, marko.urbac and 7 others like this.
  8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i love that there people willing to burn this kind of money and pay the piper!

Adam812, 95ttoplt1, Bundy and 11 others like this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what are you looking to get done and on which car?

FLU and SAFE4NOW like this.
  10. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

Other than bragging rights that the work was physically performed under the factories supervisor ( passive or directly ) I cannot think of anything short of custom body work that most / many Dealerships in the USA couldn't facilitate. And even then, rebody wouldn't be TM anyways..

As ttforcefed asked, I am interested in what it is you are wanting to have done

Steve

carguyjohn350, vraa and FLU like this.
  11. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    #11 FLU, Mar 2, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2022
    I didn't get to spec my TDF. I had a red one I traded for a Bianco Italia one - which is beautiful but you can find BI with a black and very minor red accent interior without too much trouble I think. There may very well be an exact spec out there somewhere.
    So, I'm looking to spec a bold one through tailor made and I'm hoping for it to be unique without a twin.
    This would include repaint, tinting carbon, and interior reupholster in a combination of colors and materials I've yet seen.

I'm hoping to be able to re-spec my TDF. Reason for going TM besides unlocking all of the options available only through TM is to also get the TM badge and to have a new official options plaque that would match the car. If I had the work done locally, the plaque would say Bianco Italia over black interior, but the car would be a totally different color inside and out. Basically, I want to change the exterior colors/stripe and interior colors/materials.

Adam812, Bundy, 1Superleggera and 6 others like this.
  12. U-Boat Commander

Jun 7, 2008
    USA
    I think this sounds awesome. It opens up so many possibilities. Keep us appraised of the progress.

Have you made any inquiries yet of a dealership or Tailor Made? Which dealer do you normally use?

Adam812, vraa, 350MH83 and 1 other person like this.
  13. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    FLU , if you haven’t found someone to help you yet, I’d be happy to ask on your behalf.

Please PM the last 6 of your VIN , I will be meeting FNA members during this weekends DAM @ COTA

Steve

vraa and FLU like this.
  14. DavidJames1

DavidJames1 Formula 3

Mar 6, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Agree with Marcel, my first thought would be Zanasi and secondly would be one of the Italian Coach-builders who do good work such as Touring Superleggera.

x599, JagShergill, vraa and 1 other person like this.
  15. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    It’s an awesome idea.

Here’s the link for zanasi.

https://www.zanasigroup.com/modern-car-services/

I was looking at a 599 and I wanted to send it to Italy to have a manual transmission place and I asked about having the interior changed out and I was told that service was no longer available for that model although I am aware of a couple of European cars who have had that conversion done at the factory.

That said I am in awe of the idea of doing that to a TDF and would love to know if they would do it.

If it is primarily done at zanasi atelier what does that do to the provenance of the car as opposed to the factory sending it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam812 and FLU like this.
  16. JK101

JK101 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    You are correct that the work is carried out by Zanasi. The cars that I have seen still receive the 'Tailor Made' nomenclature

vraa and FLU like this.
  17. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    I very recently have made that inquiry after hearing from JK101 that this is indeed a possibility. They are looking into it and will get back to me with info!

Thank you Steve! My local dealer Ferrari of Seattle has been amazing over the years and so I’ve got to put the inquiry through them first!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    All tailor made are subcontracted by the factory at Zanasi.
    Ferrari SPA is present in the capital.

FLU likes this.
  19. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    See post #7.
    I just phrased it differently.

Marcel Massini

ScottS likes this.
  20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    I didn't read it, sorry:oops:

21. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
  22. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    well of all the cars in this section, I suppose a tdf is probably the one worth splurging on

Boomhauer and FLU like this.
  23. veelangs

veelangs Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2021
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Vee
    mclaren slr, FLU and vraa like this.
  24. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Hi all, has anyone seen or know of an existing F12 TDF painted in Viola Hong Kong? I think this will be the main body color I’ll be going for.

Loxo likes this.
  25. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    epb0 and Boots like this.