Series 1 400i Brake Pad Replacement | FerrariChat

Series 1 400i Brake Pad Replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Dec 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    So I need to change the front brake pads and have purchased what I believe to be the correct replacement pads (Porterfield AP82 R4-S Perf Street Compound). I've searched this forum and can't find a discussion of the procedure to do so. It probably isn't any different than any other car, but I just want to make sure I don't unwittingly jack something up in the process. Would someone please write a post about how to do that correctly?

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Schumi (??)
    One warning about your Porterfield pads. They were the first ones I bought for my car. Since our calipers are BMW with spacers for wide discs, Porterfield makes the pads in two thicknesses with our pads being the thinner of the two. If you have the thick ones they will not fit, but Porterfield customer service was great and quickly exchanged them with an apology. So you don't get disappointed when you start on the job, call them first and check that they sent you the right ones.
    As for procedure, it is just like doing any other fixed caliper pad, with BMW being exactly the same. The hardware, pins and springs will need a good clean up and a dab on hi-temp grease in the right places. Have a good tool to push pistons back and check your piston "boots" for damage.
    Enjoy the job it is straight forward.
    Ken

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thanks Ken. I read someone's post on the thickness and was sure to order the correct part number, but they do seem thick. I'll call them tomorrow.

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    should be 15 mm

5. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Others are 18 mm.

6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    That's very helpful guys - thank you!

7. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Ken, Can you change the pads without removing the caliper from the disc?

8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Schumi
    No need to remove calipers to change pads. Just push out the two pins holding the pad clip. Clip falls out. Push pads back a bit with channel lock to pull old ones out. There are several standard tools to push pistons "home" without damaging the rubber boot; do NOT use a channel lock for that. Before reassembly, clean up the pins and clip and apply a thin layer of high temp. grease on sliding points. Good luck, its easy!
    Ken

Schumi likes this.
  9. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    My 400 Auto et my 365 GT4 2+2 had a lot (really a lot) of brake noise at low speed and soft braking (an embarrassment while driving in the city). Both cars were missing the anti-noise material which is located on the plate between the pistons and the brake pads. New plates with anti-noise material solved this noise problem, about 500km driven so far (I realise no solution is eternal).

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    rovexienus
    Were did you buy the backing plates with anti-noise material? Part #?
    I've been using some pink gooey material and it works for a while.
    Ken

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    So I ordered a couple of piston squeezers to find they are too big. Do you have a link to the piston squeezer you used/recommend?

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I use the simplest tool in my tool box, see pics. I did a search and no one wants to sell anything so simple anymore! Note the tool has two square corners and two rounded corners. You want the round corners facing the piston; the disc does not mind the square corners! The 3/8" extensions gives you good control of pressure on piston. Sorry I can not find a link for you.
    As another note, whenever I change pads (or any other brake work) I always purge some fluid from the calipers. When pushing pistons back is a good time to get 'stale' fluid out of caliper.
    Ken

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Schumi likes this.
  13. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hello Ken,

Apologies for the delay, here is the complete order from Maranello Classic Parts (https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/) back in September 2019:

114017 Anti Squeal Shim
    134848/A Front Brake Pad Set
    115962 Plate
    108073/D Front Pin Kit

As I recall the backing plate (P/N 115962) came with the Anti Squeal Shim already glued on. So the P/N 114017 I got is in addition.