Serious lightweight Dart | FerrariChat

Serious lightweight Dart

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Michael B, Dec 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 Michael B, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had this car forever & a day. My wife hates it. Her friends hate it. But I like it a lot. Car is set up nice. Its magic to launch often times yanking the front wheels when on slicks even with the tame previous V8 lump. Over this last year I decided to build a to spec engine for it like I use to when I was young. The old engine was fine ~ but what the heck.. You only live once. It came out great with an abundance of dyno power & torque. That matched along with the reduced weight of this plaything makes for a pleasantly surprising light-to-light car. Anyhow I am just about to wrap it up and the play with other projects. But its been fun working on 'Merican Muscle again. Remember when some of us did that all of the time?

11.0:1 408 cube stroker with CNC ported small chamber Edelbrocks. 1&7/8 TTi headers into 3" exhaust with cut-out pipes into Hooker Aero Chamber mufflers. And a small & yet un-used NOS kit for emergencies sandwiched under the giant Holley Ultra HP.

Heading to the 1/4 mile with it once it warms up here. Like I am a kid again.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's a great car, thanks for posting the pictures.

3. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy it in good health.

4. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hey thanks!

You know... What spured me on was dying this year. I had a heart attack that took me out - but the hospital was able to bring me back ~ just in time. Lucky I guess. After that I said "welp... what haven't I done that I have been meaning to?"

This and several other projects are now all in high gear. I am finishing them all up then going to step back & take a hard look. Life is too short to drive underwhelming cars! It is also too short to live in awful places, hesitate, hold your tongue, or not love most every day. Words to live by.

The Dart is just a small part of it all.

5. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Welcome back to life. It's great, isn't it?

Have you had the car since high school? I rode around in a friends with him on occassion. I don't recall clearly if it had chromed or painted bumpers, but the rest looks the same, sans the engine rebuild and any post '75-'76 mods.

Thanks for keeping and saving it, regardless. Beautiful, imo.

6. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yes sir. Its great.

In high-school I had the "fastest" car. Or was at the least labeled with that. But it was a 1968 Plymouth GTX with a 440. This car came a bit after. Nice list of Mopars in my past.

My painted bumpers are all fiberglass so that's why no chrome. Lots of lightweight bits on it.

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Nice - big fan of Mopars. I always wanted to do an altered wheelbase car...have fun with it!

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    A great drag car is always on my bucket list.

Would love a video of a drag racing start with that beast !

9. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Great looking car!

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Awesome car. Sounds like it was a fun build.

11. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you again. Video soon. I will try to get one yanking the front wheels from a dig.

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Those Darts were really "Flexible Flyers".. In high school, my best friend had a 273 with a 4 speed and the "high performance" package..

When he would hit 2nd gear on a hard power shift the steering wheel would jump about 3 inches up relative to the dash and seats, the chassis twisted that much... I can't imagine what that big monster motor would do to that car...

13. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #13 Michael B, Dec 29, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    I think any uni-body from the seventies had plenty of flex. However this car has an engineered cage, sub-frame connectors, Cal-Trac single leaf linked rear suspension and custom torque boxes to remedy that a non-event. Racecar stuff.

14. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Yes, I would think that to put that much motor in that particular car that a significant amount of "re-engineering" of the chassis and good cage would be mandatory...