service dilemma | FerrariChat

service dilemma

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by garysp7, Sep 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I recently purchased a 2000 550 from an authorized dealer.
    I also paid them extremely well for a 30K mile service and belt change.
    After almost seven weeks I got the car. I paid for the trasnsportation to bring it over a 1000 miles. I also paid them for the new FNA full Power Warranty. I vitually pleaded with them to make sure that the service and car was done correctly as I am far from a F dealer and it is a major inconvenience to get the car to a dealer, especially if it has just been serviced from another dealer.
    They all assured me the car would be perfect.
    Well, I got the car. I drove it twenty miles and the Check Engine light is staying on now.
    I immediately called the dealer closest to me and arranged towing it to them. I noticed that the Eye bolt that was replaced from the missing one in my tool kit did not fit the car. The tow truck driver confirmed that the following day.
    I managed to get the car to the dealer. They ran a diagnostic and informed me of twelve or thirteen malfuntioning items relating to sensors and catalytic convertors.
    They are now telling me they need to contact the dealer who did the service and then figure out what is wrong. It may be several weeks again, due to either a service backlog or because I am low man on the totem pole having bought the car from another dealer.
    My dilemma is, do I let the new dealer figure everything out and just wait again or do I consider asking the original dealer foot the bill to bring the car back to them and make the car right, like now, and then send it back down to me again.
    The new dealer is being very nice about it and I feel they are getting stuck fixing the first dealers lack of attention to detail.
    It bothers me most in that I asked them three times to make sure everything was perfect to avoid this.
    This is not a good experience for my first F car ownership. Waiting seven weeks to drive it twenty miles and then putr it on the flat bed again to be gone again for several weeks.
    Am I being unreasonable here is being disappointed in the service of the first dealer?
    Gary

2. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Gary-Yes, the original dealer should foot the bill for any problems that stem from their work (or lack there of), especially seeing that the car was just recently delivered . I am surprised that you didn't contact them first when the warning light first came on.

Though it sounds like you made it perfectly clear that you wanted the car double and triple checked to make sure something like this wouldn't happen, sometimes mistakes are made. You can't get upset with them if you haven't even attempted to let them know that the problem exists. You need to at least give them a chance to rectify the problem.

I understand that the original dealer is not as close as the other dealer. However, with as much money as you spent with them, I'm sure that they will be bending over backwards to make sure the problem gets taken care of in a timely fashion. They should not only cover any problems with the car, but should include enclosed transportation (both ways) for your 550 as well.

Good luck.

3. speedball

speedball Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    Pasadena Area
    Full Name:
    Scot Anderson
    Yours is a very sad and disappointing story........ I agree that the dealer that did the work should cover all costs to make things right..... even the transportation cost .... and you're not unreasonable expecting this.

I also have a 2000, 550, 12k miles, but have yet to experience any issues with the car except for very minor items I fixed myself ..... I have never used Ferrari dealer service. I have been to Auto Gallery in Woodland Hills a few times for parts only .... on my last visit I made a point of greeting/meeting the Service Manager, showing him my car ... to start a relationship on the off chance I ever needed their help with something .... I asked the Service Manager for a price to do a T-belt change only (with all related componets) ..... only asked for a ball-park figure ... he couldn't give me this ..... said he'd fax me a formal estimate the following week. I called two more times asking for this ..... each time he appoligized for the delay ..... well ... it's been three months and I've yet to receive his estimate or follow-up ..... will I use Auto Gallery when or if have a problem .... NO!!! This is my one and only experience with a Ferrari dealer ..... I'm sure Toyota or Chevorlet customer service and quality is better than most Ferrari dealers ..... and at a tenth the cost.

I think I'll change the t-belts myself.

4. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have not had the chance to talk with the original dealer yet. Since the Hurricane came thjrough here last week when this happened our phones were not working well and we were playing telephone tag.
    I plan to call the dealer tomorrow and ask them if they want to pick up the car and make the repairs themselves or have the dealer closer to me do it.
    I just want the car fixed right and I don't want to pay any more transport costs. I already paid for it bring the car down here.
    I don't feel these cars are very fixable by owners anymore due to the computers needed.
    Has anyone considered finding a bootleg copy of the diagnostic programs needed for these cars? Can they be run a regular laptop?
    gary

5. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    You have VERY CLEARLY made the point of getting the car just right, to the original dealer, and he seems to have confirmed that. Now you want to send it back to him???????? When he sold you the car, he figured he will never see you again.

Have the new dealer fix the problems, and have the original dealer pay for them. It is in the new dealer's best interest to fix the car right, since he may be seeing you again.

6. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    It's time to get your hands dirty. This is why you need to be able to troubleshoot and fix yourself. That's what this board is for. At the very least the dealership should be able to tell you what to look for.

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I ran into something like this with Alfa dealers, shortly after the Fiat take-over.

I got the car back from a dealer service, and it didn't run right. After three or four trips back to the same dealer, it still didn't run right. A different dealer found out why. (Head gasket installed wrong.)

However; my suggestion that he do the work and bill the first dealer didn't fly. They trucked the car back to the first dealer to fix -- and that dealer proceeded to make it even worse (pulling three studs out of the block). Eventually, the damage to the engine became so severe that it had to be replaced. The first dealer, of course, disavowed any responsiblity for that. That dealer is long since out of business.

After that (and a couple of similar incidents), once a shop has messed up badly, I don't let them have another chance to mess up more. It's easier to find a different mechanic and then let the lawyers figure out who pays than to have to find a different car, and have it become a bigger fight.

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I agree. The first dealer F'd it up and they should pay for the repairs to be done by a dealer that is closer to you (and that knows what they are doing, but don't say that). The two dealers can talk and figure out how to make it happen. You shouldn't be spending a dime, and you shouldn't have to ship your car another 2,000 miles round trip, even if someone else pays for it.

Sorry this happened. This stuff always happens to me with computers. Hopefully dealer #2 will fix everything right and this will soon be a distant memory.

Birdman

9. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for all the positive responses.
    Maybe I am naive, but I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt and assume they have the ability to complete a job satisfactory or will stand behind what they do and get help with the ultimate goal being to make the customer happy.
    I am confident that both dealers will work out the problem without transporting the car again and I will be out of pocket zero dollars. I figure I have already stood in the pay line and done that part.
    Keep you posted on the outcome and will post some additional pictures soon.
    For the two days I had it, it was great and lots of fun.
    gary

10. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I am pleased to add that the original dealer forgot to reset the computer after the service and the delaer down by me corrected the situation and the car is ready. Both dealers were really good about correcting this situation, and a new correct towing eye bolt is on the way to replace the incorrect one.
    gary

11. sandman

sandman Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Excellent news! It seems to have been resolved pretty easily, but you mentioned a dozen codes pointing to many potential problems.

What did it end up being?

12. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    All of the error codes were due to the car losing power to the computer while it was apart for service. It is my understanding that after a large service is performed and the battery is taken out, they need to hook the car back up to the computer and run a diagnostic and reset everything with the computer in the car.
    It rruns great and no warning lights.
    gary

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Wow, that was close! Glad to see it was a small issue and that everything worked out...

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    You know, I have never, EVER got my Lotus back from a mechanic and had it working correctly. Always stupid crap that they should have done right. Things like a broken spark plug, shift linkage being fouled by headers, poor air bleeding, etc. Obviously they never drove the car to test it. I have learned how to fix things myself as I can screw up my car for a lot less money than a "mechanic" can.

I would never buy a Ferrari that I didn't either work on myself or had a local dealer I could hold accountable; long distance service is a loser proposition. I would get the local guy to do it and send the bill to the culprit (of course this has to be arranged in advance!)

Ken

15. garysp7

garysp7 Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2004
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think I have a good working relationship with Central Ferrarii.
    I had them originally looking for a car for me with the understanding that if I found one somewhere else before I would buy it or who ever had the best car. They had no problem with that. They came up with the exact car I was looking for, but one week after I had bought my 550.
    Anyone interested, they have a very nice 2002 575 with a 6 speed. fiorano handling package, cream interior, red with shields, about 6000 miles I think. A little pricey at about 195K I think but maybe negotiable.
    They corrected my problem and there was no charge. I fully intend for them to do my service in the future other than oil changes and maybe brake pads and fluids. I am not even suure if I want to do the brake flushing. I envision buying a brake bleeding kit, pads and spending the day doing it and in the end having a spongy pedal or something and ending have to take it in anyway.
    I just don't see how you can do any kind of service on these cars unless you have the computers and software for diagnostic work. Without that, I jsut see wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong and most likely buying a lot of parts that may or may not be the problem and after all is said and done, taking it to the dealrer anyway to start what I probably could not finish.
    gary

16. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm glad to see everything worked out well for you. Now, go drive the crap out of it.