Service/Maint. suggestions for '87 328 | FerrariChat

Service/Maint. suggestions for '87 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by steveinct, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steveinct

steveinct Rookie

Mar 26, 2004
    Connecticut, USA
    Hello,

Looking for a bit of advice...I purchased a 1987 328 GTS a few months ago. I have been VERY happy with this car. I have all records since new for the car and the following is what I've determined after reviewing them:

New spark plug/wire/connectors 1 years and 1000 miles ago

New exhaust system 4 years and 4000 miles ago (not sure why this was done)

New injectors and cold start valve 4 years and 4000 miles ago

New ignition control unit 4 years and 4000 miles ago

Last major service was performed 4 years and 6500 miles ago

New battery put in 6 years ago

New AC compressor and drier 5 years and 8000 miles ago

New clutch 13 years and 14000 miles ago

There is a small oil leak from the engine...will drop a tablespoon of oil every once in a while.

I'm wondering what/when I should schedule maintenance. It's running VERY well, and seems to be very strong. I've put almost 1000 miles on it in 3 months and it water/oil temp, oil pressure etc. have all remained very consistent and normal in very hot weather.

One question I have is suspension/shocks etc. I see no evidence of anything be replaced here...The car is pretty brutal over bumps...I suspect this would be something to examine and rework...any thoughts?

Any advice would be appreciated...I'm trying to determine wether I'm going to invest in this car, or trade for a 355 next spring...really caught the bug I guess!

Thanks!
    Steve Clayton

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My opinion:

1. Seems like a lot of trouble things have been fixed. More things have been fixed on yours than mine, so maybe those things are in my future.
    2. Maybe get a new battery.
    3. If you do 5 years between major service, you are getting close, but you still have at least a year. So your decision on the 355 is in that window.

"I'm trying to determine wether I'm going to invest in this car, or trade for a 355 next spring."

Sounds like you have a well sorted car. I can't think of anything that you would want to fix other than maybe a fluid change. I asked about my suspension, and the dealer said it would be very obvious of something (shock/spring) was going bad. It can be improved, but doesn't seem "broke".

3. carlrose

carlrose Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2003
    Hi Mr. Clayton,

As mentioned previously, sounds like most potential issues have been addessed. If you choose to keep the car:

* Replace coolant hoses
    * Replace spark plugs
    * Look over engine vacuum lines
    * Replace engine accessory drive belts

If you want to be very determined, there's a silver rectangular relay that lives beside the Jetronic ECU can strand you (without warning) should it fail. A Porsche part (can't recall 9-digit # at this moment but do have at home) retails for about $150.

:)

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My thoughts would be to change all the fluids (and replace the battery), and keep driving and enjoying the car. If you decide to keep it, then plan on a major service, with new coolant hoses when you hit the 5 or 6 year mark (from last service). This would typically include all new belts, spark plugs, fluids, adjust valves, replace cam cover seals, distributor seals, and you could get the oil/gearbox leaked tended to.

Until then, change the fluids and keep drivin'!

Dave