Several months of projects completed | FerrariChat

Several months of projects completed

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Depreciating Asset, Jun 14, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Depreciating Asset

Depreciating Asset Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I decided this was the summer I was going to finish going through the car to do a minor mechanical restoration and complete a few upgrades/modifications I’ve had in mind. Over the past few months I’ve completed:

Fuel Tank
    Pulled the tank and replaced all the seals, hoses, etc. Rebuilt the fuel pumps using a variety of non-factory parts and replaced the plastic caps with metal caps.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Suspension Rebuild
    Replaced all bushings, ball joints, drop links, tie rod ends, and sway bar bushings (Superperformance). I had previously installed MSC adjustable coilovers, and during this job I added a remote damper controller from Fortune Auto. I installed the interface in the center console so it’s hidden from view, and can change the damper settings on the fly while driving. This project combined with the MSW rear sway bar, steering module, and a proper alignment at a local performance chassis shop has totally transformed the car.

Brakes
    Installed a Brembo brake kit from Formula Dynamics (great folks to work with). 6 piston calipers up front, 4 in the rear, with 380mm rotors all around. The brake feel is much improved, but to be fair I’m comparing brand new brakes, hoses, and components to the original 25yo gear. At a minimum, I love how they look.

Wheels
    My original plan was to have Superamerica replicas made, but I couldn’t get the rear lips shallow enough for my taste. So we ended up designing sort of a tribute monoblock. The wheels were made by Forza, and the specs are:

Front
    20X9.5 ET 41 Tires: MP4S 275/30/20
    Rear
    20X12 ET 23 Tires: MP42 325/25/20

It’s been my experience that going from the older generation Pilot Sports to MP4’s always improves ride quality, so there’s surprisingly little difference between the old 18” wheels with Pilot Sports and this larger setup with the MP4S’s. The only time I notice them is driving at parking lot speeds and I can feel more of the imperfections in the pavement. At speed they are very compliant. But my overall setup is very tight, and I might be dropping my spring rates a little, but need to drive more to decide. Note there is ZERO rubbing or other issues with this setup.

My last major project is coming up in a few weeks. Will be removing the intake/cam covers for painting, will replace all gaskets, hoses, etc., have the injectors serviced, and install a COP kit. After that I would drive this car cross country with no concerns.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She looks great and after all the fixes should run great. Wheels look like a cross between the 18" and 19" Maranello wheels, but one size larger and wider.

Depreciating Asset likes this.
  3. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    You haven't been hanging around, have you? Nice work. I bet the car drives (and sounds) a lot better than when you bought it.
    In what condition were the original bushings?
    How heavier are the new brakes? How does the increased unsprung weight affect steering feel?

4. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beautiful car and I LOVE those wheels!!

5. Depreciating Asset

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy

I'm pretty sure the bushings were original, but it looked like the ball joints have been replaced at some time. I'm not sure about the weight of the brakes, but I haven't noticed anything negative. The suspension/wheels were done together, and then the brakes the following weekend. So there were lot's of changes there and it's hard to judge how each individual project changed the car.

6. Jaredsalinsky

Jaredsalinsky Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2023
    tampa FL
    Full Name:
    Jared salinsky
    STU….NNING…
    really really nice looking 550.
    I might say… an appreciating asset…
    Kudos

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Given the separate floating hats, the overall weight is lower. I had the measurements on a computer somewhere. It should not effect steering except under extreme/outlier scenarios as the generated brake torque is higher on any given axle (and as he is running the upsized tires/rubber).

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hard to tell without direct measurements. Mine were actually lighter than OEM. The really heavy pieces were the rear 12.5" x 19" NF2s, but that is a lot of aluminum and she had 355/25 19 tires back in the olden days. Those were heavy as well. I would imagine Randy's new wheels are quite a bit lighter than the 39.6 kbs of the NF2 rears.

F456M likes this.
  9. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Can you please explain more about the shocks and springs? I am leaning towards the fact thst I should rebuild my shocks. At least the fronts. I know a few guys here have put on aftermarket shocks and springs. I tend to prefer the original system which continiously adjust the shocks to the conditions (speed, turning, braking etc.). Most coil over systems today have a two stage spring with soft and hard depending one the load. I like that idea. But want to keep the original system. Is it possible to combine? How does your system work? How is the steeribg with the 30-profile 275 tires? Amazing look and stance. I have had the completely original look now for 11 years and I want to make it look a bit more mean…. How much was your custom wheels?

cheers,
    Erik

10. Depreciating Asset

Sep 1, 2019
    Cary, NC
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Hi Erik,

As I understand it (and maybe I missed something but I researched this pretty hard) the stock shocks have adjustable dampers, but only 2 levels of adjustability. Those settings are controlled by the Sport mode switch, and do not continuously adjust. The MSC shocks I have include adjustable dampers, but have 24 levels of rebound adjustability. I'm sure an electronics guru could figure out how to make the sport switch work with the MSC shocks, but then you're stuck with just 2 settings. I elected to install a remote controller that included 4 servos that adjust each shock and a control interface in the car. I can pre-program Comfort, Sport, and Race settings, or manually adjust to any of the 24 front/rear.

The wheels were made by Forza, and shockingly cheap at about $2400. The last wheels I bought were HRE's for my 458 ($13K), and I curbed one in less than a week (I basically daily my Ferrari so stuff is going to happen). I figured these were worth a shot. I'd say machining/finish wise they are 90% what an HRE looks like. Only flaws I could find was when I was in close ceramic coating them prior to install and noticed a few minor things here and there...but also found some of that on my HRE's. Will see how they do long-term.

I made so many changes at once that it's hard to identify how any one change impacted the car. But I believe the outstanding alignment I got is playing a large role in how the car currently steers. The shop that did it sets up a lot of race cars, and the owner would take the car out between settings to tweak things. So he deviated a bit from factory recommended alignment settings. The car turns in much faster now, and the old understeer I used to have is totally gone.